Ruger P345 why is it not more popular

This is a discussion on Ruger P345 why is it not more popular within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wondering about the Ruger P345. Everything Ive ever read about them speaks of their accuracy and seem to be positive reviews. I am wondering why ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Ruger P345 why is it not more popular

Ruger P345 why is it not more popular

Wondering about the Ruger P345. Everything Ive ever read about them speaks of their accuracy and seem to be positive reviews. I am wondering why this gun is not more popular. Any feedback positive or negative?

2. Remove Ads

I've shot a 345 that belongs to a friend, and have handled 2 or 3 others. Here's my take, based on that limited exposure: The one I shot had a horrible DA trigger, but when it could be managed, it shot where I looked. Accuracy was excellent. Function was flawless with both ball and JHPs, even though the gun was dirty as hell. It points like a 1911 for me, which is good. They are kind of big, thick through the slide, and the safety works the wrong direction and is in the wrong place, like most crunchentickers. In fairness, I don't like "traditional" DA autos with slide-mounted, backwards safeties, other than the Beretta 92/96 series, and I don't carry them, but lots of folks love them. I've just spent too much trigger time with 1911s, BHPs and Glocks to like adapting to TDAs.

I had one that would only fire every other DA pull. It went back to Ruger twice and was never fixed. Couldn't trust it so it got traded off at the LGS.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Can't really think of anything I like about it. Good entry level gun that is reliable, and reasonably priced. But lacking some of the refinements that more experienced shooters look for.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Theories

The first obstacle for the Ruger P345 in the market is the large number of .45 caliber alternatives out there. By the time Ruger introduced this gun, there were dozens of well-established .45s in the market, and lots of fans for them. A second problem is that Ruger semi-autos have traditionally had the reputation of being rather large and clunky, with cheap looking components and safety warnings all over the gun. This turns many people off and the P345 inherited that mantle. A final problem is the trigger feel of the P345, which is clearly inferior to that of such competing guns as 1911s or Sig P220s. Many customers who are familiar with these older .45s would try the P345 trigger and move on.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I don't like DA/SA semi-autos. I prefer a consistent trigger, be it Glock, Kimber, Colt, or Kel-Tec.
    10thmtn, Dragman and tcon67 like this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    My first pistol was a P345. It was very accurate, indeed. The DA pull was kind of heavy and gritty, and the reset was a little mushy. I had persistent double-feed issues with the gun, though, and when I finally bought my first SIG I just realized how much I had been missing in the trigger department. I still think the P345 ergonomics are pretty good, and the accuracy is excellent. If I were forced to carry one, I'd do it, but I would want to find a 'smith who could give it a good trigger job first.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

VIP Member
    Yes, I have owned a Ruger P345. It was before I knew any better.

Other than price and weight, there is NOTHING a P345 can do that a Sig P220 can't do better. Even there, I submit that the weight differential is minimal, and if one is going to carry a full-sized service pistol, they are all heavy. Price? I can most likely find a kindly used 220 for roughly the same price as a new Ruger in about 10 minutes. Also, that used Sig will hold that value indefinately, while the new Ruger will drop in value immediately.

As for the "safety" on the Ruger, I have only one thing to say. THE STUPID THING IS UPSIDE DOWN!

That is my personal opinion. Others may love them. It isn't for me.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Senior Moderator
    It will never be popular because it is a Ruger.
    Bill Ruger was an antigun elitist. Ruger never got into the defensive handgun market because he did not like the idea of concealed carry. It wasnt until his demise that they even ventured into the defensive firearm market.

The biggest detractions from any Ruger firearm is the horrible trigger. The engineers at Ruger let the lawyers dictate to them how to build so they make the trigger as heavy as possible to prevent any liabilty. I changed many Ruger triggers on rifles that would have a 400 pound Gorilla break a sweat when he tried to squeeze the trigger.

The sales people at the Ruger factory are some of the rudest, most arrogant, incompetants I have ever dealt with. I had heard that from others for years until I actually tried to get some meaningful dialouge from one of the LEO sales reps. That sorry excuse for a wench actually hung up on me. One would think that when attempting to order 120 rifles that a salesperson would be happy to talk to you right? Not this one. I must have kept her from playing Solitare on her computer and interrupted her.

That one did it for me. For all I care, the factory RUGER could burn up. If not another Ruger ever occupied American air space it would be well with me. They should go move to France where they would be appreciated.

As for their firearms,most of them suck. They do make some good single actions and a couple of double actions...if you scrap the gorilla triggers and put real ones in them. As for their long arms, most are just a piss poor copy of a Mauser action with the same atrocious trigger. Some of their M77's you could stick in the forks of two trees and hang a dead deer from the trigger without fear of tripping it.

Now lets get to ther serious part. How many LEO agencys are using them? Not many. How many government agencys are using them? Even less. How many people buy them for a first gun? Lots, because they dont know any better. Now, lets cut to the chase. How many people buy a SECOND one?
    That number is even less than the first couple of categorys.
    There are Colt collectors, S&W collectors, Sig and HK collectors.
    How many are acutally Ruger collectors? Not many. Ruger gots its name from the .22 pistols and it keeps it name with the .22 rifles. Without those they would be just another has been wannabee.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member
    HotGuns, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel!

Another thing I dislike about Rugers: The wall of legal text on every gun.

"Early prototype" of a Ruger 1911.

Senior Moderator
    My religious and moral convictions prevent me from stating what I really thought about Ruger,otherwise I might tell you how I really felt. I wrote enough that you get my drift...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    It will never be popular because it is a Ruger.
    Bill Ruger was an antigun elitist. Ruger never got into the defensive handgun market because he did not like the idea of concealed carry. It wasnt until his demise that they even ventured into the defensive firearm market.

The biggest detractions from any Ruger firearm is the horrible trigger. The eningeers at Ruger let the lawyers dictate to them how to build so they make the trigger as heavy as possible to prevent any liabilty. I changed many Ruger triggers on rifles that would have a 400 pound Gorilla break a sweat when he tried to squeeze the trigger.

The sales people at the Ruger factory are some of the rudest, most arrogant, incompetants I have ever dealt with. I had heard that from others for years until I actually tried to get some meaningful dialouge from one of the LEO sales reps. That sorry excuse for a wench actually hung up on me. One would think that when attempting to order 120 rifles that a salesperson would be happy to talk to you right? Not this one. I must have kept her from playing Solitare on her computer and interrupted her.

That one did it for me. For all I care, the factory RUGER could burn up. If not another Ruger ever occupied American air space it would be well with me. They should go move to France where they would be appreciated.

As for their firearms,most of them suck. They do make some good single actions and a couple of double actions...if you scrap the gorilla triggers and put real ones in them. As for their long arms, most are just a piss poor copy of a Mauser action with the same atrocious trigger. Some of their M77's you could stick in the forks of two tree and hand a dead deer from the trigger without fear of tripping it.

Now lets get to ther serious part. How many LEO agencys are using them? Not many. How many government agencys are using them? Even less. How many people buy them for a first gun? Lots, because they dont know any better. Now, lets cut to the chase. How many people buy a SECOND one?
    That number is even less than the first couple of categorys.
    There are Colt collectors, S&W collectors, Sig and HK collectors.
    How many are acutally Ruger collectors? Not many. Ruger gots its name from the .22 pistols and it keeps it name with the .22 rifles. Without those they would be just another has been wannabee.
    Thats the government for you, they spend 800 dollars on a toilet seat. So they must be doing something right...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

ruger .45 tended to be big, blocky. never shot the 345 but I loved the p90. It was accurate, easy to shoot, and very affordable. for its size, i was kind of annoyed with the 7-8 round limitation of its round capacity. I understand the dislike for Ruger. any entity that supported the 10 round mag limit during the Clinton gun ban is no friends of ours. I hope that the company is taking a turn for the better now that they are selling much more marketable guns. I like their new sr9c and waiting for the sr40c.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Don't get me wrong I love Rugers and own many. But the P345 probably hasn't sold all that well because though it may be a good entry level 45 there is nothing so special about it to set it apart from the large variety of competitors.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I haven't shot one, but I really liked the one I held in the gun store. It's pretty slim compared to all of the earlier P-series guns, and the grip feels great. The grip is a bit long, and there aren't many holsters out there for them, so that hinders popularity for concealed carry, I'm sure.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links