Cobra Patriot .45?

Cobra Patriot .45?

This is a discussion on Cobra Patriot .45? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm interested in this product from Cobra. A .45 DOA pistol for CCW. It essentially is a .45 caliber Kel-Tec (I so wish they would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cobra Patriot .45?

Cobra Patriot .45?

I'm interested in this product from Cobra. A .45 DOA pistol for CCW. It essentially is a .45 caliber Kel-Tec (I so wish they would make a "thin" .45 for CCW purposes). I have read mixed reviews online, from horrible to quite well. Anybody here have any reviews/information regarding this handgun? I know it is not rated for +P ammo and designed essentially for only hardball, any info would be nice.

Mine was junk. Terrible trigger.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    this gun is an insult to the words "american made" horrible!!!!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CountShotula View Post
    A .45 DOA pistol for CCW.
    I hope you mean DAO!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

"DOA" pistol - now THAT was funny!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Thumbs down

I'm interested in this product from Cobra. A .45 DOA pistol for CCW. It essentially is a .45 caliber Kel-Tec (I so wish they would make a "thin" .45 for CCW purposes). I have read mixed reviews online, from horrible to quite well. Anybody here have any reviews/information regarding this handgun? I know it is not rated for +P ammo and designed essentially for only hardball, any info would be nice.
    Why would you call it a .45 Kel-Tec? KT doesn't have Cobra's "cheap" reputation.
    It's a polymer frame .45. Don't insult other companies by making such comparisons.
    It's like a friend of mine who was telling me about the Hi-Point 9mm he bought "looks like a Glock"
    It just makes you sound ignorant, sorry.
    A lot of dealers won't even carry them.
    My advice would be to use that as a bench-mark. Don't buy ANYTHING from a gun store that carries them. You'll get zero customer service from them later.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    Why would you call it a .45 Kel-Tec? KT doesn't have Cobra's "cheap" reputation.
    It's a polymer frame .45. Don't insult other companies by making such comparisons.
    Don't be a gun snob.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    "DOA" pistol - now THAT was funny!
    Darnit, I was probably thinking of a derringer being a "double only action".

VIP Member
    Cobra has a less than stellar reputation. Size wise it is about the same size as the Kahr CW45. The CW45 is available for under $400. from Bud's and is a much better made gun. JMO.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Don't be a gun snob.
    I doubt it has anything to do with being a "gun snob." He was probably just trying to steer you away from a lesser quality product. My experience with Cobra has been less than fantastic. My brother bought a Cobra .380 awhile back and it absolutely sucked. HORRIBLE trigger, it stovepiped every other round, and it was about as accurate as my three year old nephew throwing rocks at the target (he couldn't hit it either). They seem to be hit or miss, so I'd stay away from it. Just my two cents.

jyo
    Need a small, thin 45? Kahr CW45 or P45---I have a P45 and it works very well, shoots to point of aim, really good trigger---that should do it!

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    If you want a gun that will jam and fail thus causing you to have to beat the perp to death with the gun, get the Cobra. If not, spend more money and get something reliable.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

There are some higher dollar guns and some people have had good and bad views of how their gun worked,that is why we suggest that you put a few hundred rounds thru a carry gun with no problems and at least a box of carry ammo that works flawlessly,that being said I would not trust my life and the lives of my loved ones to a Cobra,Jennings,and several other under $100.00 cheap pistols.Some people love Hi-Points and from what I've seen and heard they work,they just weigh a ton so if you need it as a club your good to go and don't have to worry about messing up the guns finish.
    We try to give the best advice that we can from countless years and lots of shooting,
    "Please don't trust your life to a cobra"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I've got one somewhere... shoots fmj fine, I tried to fix the feed ramp angle for jhp but that didn't work. It still feeds fmj, but thats it. Kel Tec and Cobra are worlds apart as pistols and company's.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I have one and like it. I had to give it a serious fluff and buff in order for it to function properly. I wouldn't even think about buying anything from Cobra...other than the .45 Patriot. Seems like their other offerings are jam-o-matics.

My experience

I had the Patriot in 9mm. It was my first handgun, I got it used, it was all I could afford and even that was a stretch fore me then. It never fired more than 3 rounds without a jam, even after a fluff and buff. Maybe I should have done a "flush and dump" instead! I actually became plagued with nightmares about it (literally) so I sold it, put a Taurus 24/7 .45 on layaway and borrow a Glock 19 from my Dad to carry in the meantime.

If the 45 is the same size as the 9mm then you are correct in that in its dimensions its about the same as a Kel-tec, both the P-11 and the PF-9 except for width obviously.

My experience was not good with Cobra, I think if I was on a serious budget, Id go with a Hi-Point instead, I do know a FEW people who say theirs shoots ok.

Alex!
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links