Mag-Safe??

This is a discussion on Mag-Safe?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently use Winchester Ranger T's.. 180 gr for a .40 cal. I have never used Hornady or Corbon or Hydrashoks. I did hear that ...

View Poll Results: Do you use magsafe?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, fully loaded with Mag-Safe

5 8.77%
  • Staggered Magsafe

4 7.02%
  • No MagSafe

40 70.18%
  • I dont know enough about Mag-Safe to answer

8 14.04%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mag-Safe??

I currently use Winchester Ranger T's.. 180 gr for a .40 cal. I have never used Hornady or Corbon or Hydrashoks. I did hear that the Ranger T's worked best in the .40 cal @ 165grains. (Although I personally think that the 180grain would be more effective.. what do i know though) So i might test those out as well. But I did purchase one package of magsafe to do some of my own tests. Seems as though the majority of people are against them though.

Also Agency, the superswat loads are for less penetration of walls, auto glass, etc. Get the regular "Defender" Load and try it. Or I might myself. THe swat loads are 'safer' loads taht wont go thru walls etc... supposedly.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by floridaguy911
    I currently use Winchester Ranger T's.. 180 gr for a .40 cal. I have never used Hornady or Corbon or Hydrashoks. I did hear that the Ranger T's worked best in the .40 cal @ 165grains. (Although I personally think that the 180grain would be more effective.. what do i know though) So i might test those out as well. But I did purchase one package of magsafe to do some of my own tests. Seems as though the majority of people are against them though.

Also Agency, the superswat loads are for less penetration of walls, auto glass, etc. Get the regular "Defender" Load and try it. Or I might myself. THe swat loads are 'safer' loads taht wont go thru walls etc... supposedly.
    Floridaguy: you're looking for the proverbial "silver bullet" let me be the first to tell you that IT DOES NOT EXIST.
    read this: http://tacticalhq.org/download.php?view.21 - this may get you off the magic bullet kick and put you in the 10-ring. And hell, it just might save your life one day.

addendum: sorry for any confusion but you must register to dl that file^
    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptable struggle."
    - EDMUND BURKE

http://tacticalhq.org

I know there is no magical bullet. Never said there was and would be foolish to believe there is. I simply wanted everyones opinions on something that was interesting to me.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member

Heck, I barely believe hollow-points offer any advantage.

I have carried magsafe for a while(but never shot them) due to price. Anyway I am converting to JHP because I can shoot them and be positive that they will fire. The magsafes I just dont know if there will be problems. They cycle just fine when loading and unloading. I dont have the warm fuzzy feeling.

I was thinking about using it (or similiar fragmentables) for home safety since I live in an appartment, but the jury is still out.

Sticking with hollow points in the meantime.....
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    All smoke and mirrors if you ask me. Marketing can sell anything these days.

For those prices you can afford to shoot an entire box of quality duty ammo...practice and functiality testing that would be worth way more than some sort of "magic bullets"(haha the only magic is that someone is making a killing off of this crap)

Stick with proven combat rounds, and leave the flash and poof stuff on the shelves where it belongs.
    Fear No Evil.

Per to what I said before.I am now fully loaded with Federal hydra shocks. They are spose to be short barrel safe also.(according to a friend of mine)tech info velocity(fps)1060
    energy(ft-lbs) 410
    165 grain JHP
    high energy low recoil 14.00 for 20

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    I have some Glaser in .38 that I used to keep in the revolver on my nightstand when I lived in an apartment.

If overpenetration is a serious concern then I might used them again, the same way I might use birdshot in the shotgun, but not for daily carry and not in a pistol... due to reliability concerns I'd only use them in a revolver.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

No frangibles here. A good jacketed hollow point in a normal weight for caliber. Yes you want to expend all the energy in the target if possible but you also must penetrate into the vitals. I also don't think staggering different rounds in the same mag is a great idea either. It just seems that if you have different weight, brand, and type bullets in the same mag you invite inconsitancy.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I bought a few packs of Magsafe when I first started shooting a year ago. Then, as I read more, I decided that I was not comfortable using it as a primary defensive load. I now use Federal Expanding point FMJ. They pretty much eliminate the problem that some hollow points have with feeding. And, hollow points only offer an advantage if they expand. Clothing may interfere with this, which isn't that big of a problem with my 45, but a major problem with 9mm. The EFMJ eliminate this problem.

Im going to try out some EFMJ's myself soon.. Ammoman.com has some interesting results about it. (check out .40 s&w or 9mm) It seems to mushroom out REALLY NICELY. Winchester is my favorite brand of ammo, so I cant wait for winchester to come out with the EFMJ. For now I'll be forced to check out Federal.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member

Lightbulb Frangibles mean... never having to say I'm sorry... for a richochet...

Quote Originally Posted by craze
    No frangibles here. A good jacketed hollow point in a normal weight for caliber. Yes you want to expend all the energy in the target if possible but you also must penetrate into the vitals. I also don't think staggering different rounds in the same mag is a great idea either. It just seems that if you have different weight, brand, and type bullets in the same mag you invite inconsitancy.
    Check out http://www.rbcd.net and look at the stats for the 45+P

I have never had a problem feeding any of my frangibles. I carry both MagSafe & Glaser in my primary mags. In the deep south that's going to do the trick nearly year 'round. In a harsh winter up north then I would switch to a more traditional combat load. RBCD is awesome though. It's just very expensive. I have some of their stuff in my 40 although when I can afford it I'll pick up a box of 45.

I don't ever worry about "over penetration" but I worry a LOT about missed rounds and the richochet factor. Frangibles minimize this problem.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links