Mag-Safe??

This is a discussion on Mag-Safe?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many of you use Magsafe? and "how" much do you use it, if at all? One gun range owner told me he staggers mag-safe ...

View Poll Results: Do you use magsafe?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, fully loaded with Mag-Safe

5 8.77%
  • Staggered Magsafe

4 7.02%
  • No MagSafe

40 70.18%
  • I dont know enough about Mag-Safe to answer

8 14.04%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mag-Safe??

Question Mag-Safe??

How many of you use Magsafe? and "how" much do you use it, if at all? One gun range owner told me he staggers mag-safe with JHP's. The range owner yesterday said he uses only magsafe in his Self-Def. Carry Mags. Do YOU use magsafe? Do you stagger it? Do you use all magsafe? Do you use only JHPs?

What is everyones feelings on Magsafe? I bought some for my .40 and some for my fathers .44 mag.

SS
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

2. Remove Ads

I voted "No."

Here is what Dr. Gary Roberts had to say about MagSafe:

On 06 June 2002, we tested Magsafe .45 ACP “Defender” ammunition fired from a M1911 in both bare and 4 layer denim covered calibrated 10% ordnance gelatin. Very experienced military SOF personnel from units stationed at Fort Benning, Fort Bragg, and Fort Campbell were present, along with LE SWAT officers. The velocities averaged 1811 f/s. Terminal performance in both bare and denim covered gelatin was similar; the majority of tissue crush and stretch occurred in the first 4.1 inches of penetration, with the maximum pellet penetration ranging from 9 to 11 inches, however, the very small diameter shot used in the Magsafe load crushed correspondingly small permanent cavities. The Magsafe was deemed NOT acceptable by all the test participants. These results mirror the results by other agencies who have tested the Magsafe, including the FBI, CHP, and LAIR.
    Some additional reading:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/tact...article432.htm

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs5.htm

My recommendation would be to stick with conventional JHP's.

Yes

I concur with Blackhawk6, there is a plethora of material out there to support the notion that frangible ammo like Magsafe is just not as effective as a quality conventional duty-grade rounds.

Not only that, Magsafe is ridiculously expensive which makes it difficult for the average joe to practice with.

You also have to consider that frangible safety ammo will not penetrate like a conventional round. Nor does it have the ability to dismantle bone like conventional ammo. The frangible "safety rounds" on the market today might be effective in some specialized situations where overpenetration is a paramount. For example a SWAT sniper taking a headshot amongst several innocents etc.

Stick with a proprietary duty-grade conventional JHP/SJHP. Avoid jumping on fad ammunition. There are plenty of high quality ammunitions on the market today which are effective and reliable and inexpensive by comparison. Find one that works with your weapon and fits your needs.
    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptable struggle."
    - EDMUND BURKE

http://tacticalhq.org

Assistant Administrator
    IIRC if you do a search, there is somewhere another thread of comments on this ammo.

For me - over-priced, over-hyped and I still stay with my GD's
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I use gold dots or Hornandy TAP. I've had Mag Safes push farther back into the case during loading/unloading and then have had feeding problems. This happened with different 45's, both SPR 1911s and Glocks. I don't quite trust them.
    ...one jagged hole!

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    My research tells me >> no way,no how. Overpriced and what's worse,they will not do the job intended.

There is way too much really great ammo out there to fall for this PR gimic. Same as that fang faced crappola. Way tooooo Ninjaistic for me.(Mods...I tried to be nice.) --------

Administrator

It depends on what you carry frangible for.

I often carry an extra magazine stoked with Glaser Safety Slugs...but, I carry them for a possible future scenario where ricochet needs to be kept to an absolute minimum.
    I do not carry it for any imagined or real increase in comparative stopping power.

No such thing as magic bullets.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

Smile Combat dentist

First time I have ever been able to agree with the combat dentist, Gary Roberts.

No known shooting with mag safe, and just a few with Glaser. Not what I would chose for personal defense.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by exit42
    I use gold dots or Hornandy TAP. I've had Mag Safes push farther back into the case during loading/unloading and then have had feeding problems. This happened with different 45's, both SPR 1911s and Glocks. I don't quite trust them.

How do you like the TAP? I either use Gold Dots or Feder Hydra Shocks, been witing to catch someone that's used the TAP rounds.

They bost less flash and recoil...any proof of that in your eyes?

Nope don't use it never gonna use it

What is IIRC?
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

I bought another package of the 45 ACP today at the gun show. Yes after repeated chamberings, they will tend to seat a bit deeper and it's time to rotate the lead round. That's why I bought this 8rd pack for $14. No it's not "plinkin' ammo" but in a HOT and HUMID climate like South Florida I like the low flash, low recoil and accuracy....not to mention the richochet proof properties inherent in the round. It's all I have in my primary mags. When I get my 44sp "BullDog" it's what will be in the cylinder...that or one of these:
    http://www.rbcd.net and if you think MagSafe is expensive...try $50 for a box of 20 rds! I think my life is worth that. Now, I have to say that all my back up mags have a mixture of CorBon or Hornady TAP or Hydra-Shok. When we move to a colder climate, I'll probably reserve my frangibles for summer use only. I also have a smattering of Glaser Silver, too.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    IIRC - ''If I remember correctly''
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

.45 ACP Super-Swat load! An epoxy bullet, about 68 grains IIRC, in a copper jacket with NO lead pellets at 2200 fps.

Instant destruction and death for a tomato. Penetration so bad that you have to hope the BG is frightened into a faint by the tremendous hydrostatic splat, which will likely not get into the chest's vitals if you get a large arm in a motorbanger's leather jacket first. If you can be certain of always getting a temple shot, it would be spectacular, no doubt.

I shot one into a plastic gallon of water, it never made it out the back. It split the side and some crumbled red epoxy thingies fell out.

The had a couple of very interesting aspects, they were quite noticeably fast to get to the 50 yd. berm, and short on recoil.

But for defense ammo, stick with your Ranger, G-D, etc. Bargains all.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.-- Yoda
    G4W is now, be "Vigilant Always" - Bruce, (vet)USASA, NRA, IDPA, USPSA, IHMSA, & USCCA!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links