Official Debate: 9mm vs. .40

This is a discussion on Official Debate: 9mm vs. .40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, this is my second post to the site. I don't know how to search for previous threads or whatnot, so I'm sorry if ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Official Debate: 9mm vs. .40

Hey guys, this is my second post to the site. I don't know how to search for previous threads or whatnot, so I'm sorry if this is has been posted 5,674 times already (it probably has).

I get my Concealed Carry License in a little under 4 weeks. I am completely caught between the Glock 19 (9mm) and Glock 23 (.40).

They are just about the same size, weight, and price, so that is not a factor. I do know with the 19 you get 1 or 2 more rounds in the mag.

My pros for the 9mm:
    -it is cheaper ammo which equals more range time
    -with the right load it could have relative stopping power to the .40
    -Better chance of not hitting someone innocent if I miss the shot on someone
    -IF I ever had to use (i pray I don't) I dont want the court or jury to use my larger calibur against me and say I was using "Excessive force" or something stupid. If anybody got the latest Combat Handguns magazine you should check the article out about how prosecuters and judges know NOTHING about firearms.

Pros for the .40:

-One shot is alot more beneficial than one shot of a .9mm

And, if my life is on the line, this only pro to the .40 could make the selection the right one.

I know that shot placement is paramount to the answer to 9mm vs. 40. I'm looking for feedback on the calibur and performance of each. e.g. 1 round of .22 is better than one missed shot of .45ACP. PLEASE leave your opinions and feedback, guys. I have noone around me to teach me about these issues, I just spend hours a day reading and researching about these topics.
    ”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    with the current offerings in SD ammunition for the 9mm, there's very little difference for the average person in a SD situation.

Personally I like the 40 better. But your pro's for the 9 seem very reasonable. Bottom line, I don't think you can make a "wrong" decision. (I sound like a politician!)
    Good Luck.
    NRA Life Member

Cops carry .40's for a reason. I own 2 9mm's and a .357, however. I do not feel under powered with the 9mm, but I am starting to dig the .40's a little more these days.

I've never been able to warm up to the .40. I started as a .45 fan (and still am) until ammo became so expensive. Now I shoot the 9mm exclusively and if I ever think I need more power, I'll go back to the .45acp.

VIP Member
    I am happy with 9mm, .38/.357 or .45. I have a .40 that I really don't like. I dropped a 9mm barrel in it and find it much more enjoyable. If I was confined to 9mm or .40 to carry, I would probably go with the .40, but I don't really like its shooting attributes all that much - from a joy of shooting perspective.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    the 40 is rather snappy in a light package. if you have experience with it, than it is somewhat better than a 9mm.
    as has been mentioned, todays ammo makes the difference negligible and shot placement trumps caliber.
    what you feel most comfortable with and handle best is what you buy.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    I prefer to shoot 180 grain .40 ammunition. It is much more pleasant to shoot than the 165 gr loads because it is less "snappy". It feels a lot more like the recoil of a .45. 180 gr is also subsonic, so it shoots at a lower speed, but has more mass. I think it is a fair trade-off.

[QUOTE=trainercb;1958425]-Better chance of not hitting someone innocent if I miss the shot on someone
    -IF I ever had to use (i pray I don't) I dont want the court or jury to use my larger calibur against me and say I was using "Excessive force" or something stupid. If anybody got the latest Combat Handguns magazine you should check the article out about how prosecuters and judges know NOTHING about firearms.QUOTE]

What do you mean by there is a better chance of not hitting someone innocent because of the cailber of the bullet?? And don't worry about a court saying excessive force using .40 caliber, most police agencies are using the .40 now. I myself carry a Glock 19 everyday and never feel undergunned. 15+1 of 124 grain +p hollowpoints will definitely do the job as long as you can place your shots.

I personally chose 9mm. The. 40 is a great round. But I have limited experience with it. The few times I have shot it in my Dad's M&P it was more snappy than I'm accustomed to. My first pistol was a ruger p 90 .45 so a larger caliber wasn't unfamiliar but I shoot 9mm much better than I do the 40 S&W.

Plus 9mm is so readily available and affordable I can shoot so much more often.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I own the HK USP-C in .40 but my carry choices are the Glock 19 and 26. As others have mentioned, quality 9mm rounds such as the Federal HST 124 gr +P and the Winchester Ranger T series are good choices (there are other flavors out there).

VIP Member
    Find a range that rents pistols and shoot a glock .40 before you make a decision.
    I thought it was too much recoil; but, then thought the glock 10mm was good to shoot.
    Just be sure you like the Glock trigger, it can be a learning experience.

Really isn't much difference. Both with do a load of hurtin' granted you hit em' in the right spot.
    Caliber is no excuse for poor shot placement.

So I would choose the 9mm because ammo is inexpensive.

I don't think you gain enough with the .40 to make up for the increased recoil, the lower round count, and the higher cost of ammo. Go with the 9mm, you will be happy.
    GlockJS and JOHNSMITH like this.

I prefer the 9mm. If you like the .40 better buy it and a 9mm conversion barrel.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links