Should I carry 2 guns? - Page 2

Should I carry 2 guns?

This is a discussion on Should I carry 2 guns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While I do not disagree with the nay sayers, let me say this. Having spent thousands of hours in training, running ranges, running match's, etc, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Question No

While I do not disagree with the nay sayers, let me say this.

Having spent thousands of hours in training, running ranges, running match's, etc, etc. I believe I have seen every brand of firearm fail, and all most brands of ammo + many reloads also fail.

Yes some problems are shooter induced, but all take time to solve if even solvable.

Started shooting in 1943 at ripe old age of 12. Received my first handgun when I was 14.

Already at 12, had a passing acquaintance with Murphy. I always carry more than one gun, often two primary and a bug.

Hot? Yes it is approaching 100 with high humidity here today. Current carry is a S&W 329PD, with a pair of S&W 642s.

Wear today is Carhart shorts, t shirt, with a patterned short sleave shirt worn open. Holster is CABO and two Null pocket holsters.

Tomorrow at work, same two 642s, but a 1911 IWB added.

What one Carry's is individual, and each of us makes his/her own decision.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

For most of us, one carry gun is more than adequate, especially if you have a semi-auto that holds a dozen or more rounds and carry an extra mag. That's several dozen shots available to you. Personally, I feel if you need several dozen shots to get your butt out of hot water, I doubt if another gun will be much help.

Any gun can fail and ammo misfire. However, if you own a good quality modern gun, maintain it properly, it's chances of malfunctioning are almost slim to none. Also, you should use and practice with it on a regular basis so you know of any potential problems and how to deal with them if you do have a problem

That being said, if you feel the need to carry more than one gun and can do so, then go for it. I'd try to keep the ammo common to both guns if possible for simplicity and commonality, and keep the operating systems the same for continuity (two pistols or two revolvers) but that's a personal and financial decision.
    Last edited by rachilders; July 30th, 2006 at 04:36 PM.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

All matter of preforance as stated...another flip to this question may be what's better....

A primary and a bug or a primary and an extra Full Cap Mag?
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

I've been carrying 24/7 for 3 years now. However, during my 3 years of carrying, I have never needed my gun.

I guess I could take the position that since I haven't needed it for 3 years, I could just leave it at home.

The chances of needing a second gun should be VERY slim.

But the old rule about needing a gun could be the same for 2 guns as it is for one: you probably won't need 'em but if you do, you need 'em REAL BAD.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon1
    Welcome from Middle Tennessee!

As to two or more, it will depend upon an assessment of your needs, as those above have mentioned. Whatever you decide, feel comfortable with it, and reassess freely whenever you feel the need.

Good luck, and good shooting!
    Like going to the grocery store in Memphis.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalKracker
    Like going to the grocery store in Memphis.
    Or a stop & rob.

If I were in Memphis, three primarys.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KC135
    Or a stop & rob.

If I were in Memphis, three primarys.
    Or Little Rock, normal everyday venture, into the unknown.

Sponsor
    Carry two guns?

Why? I can shoot one gun simultaneously in each hand quite well.

I don't normally carry two, but if I were still working the streets as an investigator, heading into the areas I used to work, I'd be tempted to carry both g26's, one in each back pocket and be quite capable of firing both at the same time, inclusing at two different threats.

I also train others in this technique presently through enhanced peripheral vision skills which I think I've written about here before. It makes people much more comfortable with their weak side shooting in short order.

http://www.threatfocused.com/forums/...light=enhanced

Post #'s 5, 12, 14, 17, 19, 20

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Well-armed is not necessarily well-prepared. The two are not synonymous. The key to being well-prepared is to have a plan. Your plan should drive your equipment needs and should not hinge on a single piece of equipment, like a gun, being available. The plan is the centerpiece of your personal defense strategy, not the tool. The tools are just there to help you execute the plan.

Here are some common reasons to carry a BUG and my thoughts (I posted most of this in response to an earlier threead on BUGs):

#1. I am going to a "high threat" area. Most BUGs are smaller than the primary, harder to shoot well and are chambered in a less powerful round than the primary gun. If I am going into a "high-threat" situation I want an increase in the quality of my firepower. A .32 in my pocket or a .38 on my ankle does nothing to increase my firepower. Quantity does not equal quality. If I need a second gun I want something bigger, easier to shoot well and more powerful than my primary(READ: long gun). Better yet, stay home.

#2. Instead of reloading, I'll transition to my back-up. If my handgun goes dry, I plan on reloading. The "New York reload" was fine when everyone carried a revolver and reloading was done with individual cartridges in a dump pouch. If you carry a semi-auto, I do not see the need. I have yet to meet the individual who could transition to their back-up faster than they could reload a semi-automatic pistol.

#3. If the BG gets my gun, I'll have another. If I lose control of my gun, that means my assailant is close. I will use my knife, which I consider to be a superior weapon to the handgun at extreme close quarters.

Also, consider that a second gun potentially complicates the retention problem. There are now two firearms potentially available to your assailant(s). Believe it or not, guns do come out of belt holsters, pocket holsters, ankle holsters, etc. when you fighting at close quarters. Defending against a gun grab is hard. Defending against two gun grabs simultaneously is damn near impossible.

#4. My primary gun might break. I use only high quality firearms, magazine and ammunition. I maintain my firearms religiously. If I have a malfunction, I will clear it and get back into the fight. Yes, that takes time but so does accessing my second gun. In the highly unlikely event that my weapon breaks, I will close and finish the fight with my knife (the Tueller Drill works both ways).

#5. I can arm another "good guy." I am responsible for me, you are responsible for you. Outside of a military context, I do not subscribe to the idea sharing of magazines or ammunition with other "good guys." If you could not get it done with your ammo, I have little confidence that you will get it done with any of mine. If you could not be bothered to get a permit or carry a gun if you have a permit that is your problem. I am not a Sherpa or a caddy.

A comment about Murphy. Yes, Murphy is alive and well. He and I have made one anothers acquaintance on more than one occasion. A second gun is no guarantee against Murphy. If your primary gun can fail, so can the second, and the third...At some point preparation needs to be tempered with reason.

My personal rules governing BUGs:

* If I don body armor, I need a second gun.

* I only need one handgun. If I need a second gun, I want a long gun.

Casio

IMO, if you carry one good gun and an extra clip or maybe two, you're doing good. I think your gun however, should be backed up by pepper spray or a knife. Carrying a gun and a knife or a gun and pepper spray is REASONABLE.

Now lets talk about REASONALBE. In the unforturnate event that you do have to use your gun in self defense, and you shoot and kill a BG, You are going to court and you will be judged by a jury of your peers. These people are qualified as reasonable by the court. Now, a reasonable everyday sheeple is going to hear that you had two guns and think, "Oh my, this guy must have been looking to shoot somebody" and this is where your "Victim" the BG becomes the innocent one and you go to jail. To people like me and you this is ridiculous but sadly, it's how our system and our society is set up.

Hope I've been of some help to you

Eddie
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

Sponsor
    Eddie,

I know too many law enforcement officers and well known national trainers who carry two guns [ one as a BUG ] to worry about some accusation from a DA to the lay people on a jury that "this guy must have been looking to shoot somebody".

If your atty can't articulate the thought process behind carrying a BUG, you need a new atty:.

Any DA/prosecutor can make a case for anything to paint a defender as a Rambo type out there looking for a problem. It's the defense atty who can keep the jury on tract as to the real issue of whether the shooting was within the laws of SD or not.

Good shoot? Don't worry about it, spend the money on a good atty.

Brownie

Brownie,

I understand carrying a bug if you're and LEO or something like that, but IMO it's just not plausible for the average joe to carry two guns. And spending the money on a good atty is easier said than done. I'm sure there are ways of getting extra money if you get into that situation, but I'd venture to say that most CHL carriers just don't have a bunch of money to shovel out to an atty. IMO, average joe with two guns is just giving ammo to the opposing atty. But, we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Eddie
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

Sponsor
    Eddie,

If you are in court for shooting a BG, you are already paying the atty, just make sure you have a good one.

Brownie

Lead Moderator
    Well put Blackhawk 6. 1 gun and a spare mag should be plenty for most CCW use situations. I carry a BUG occasionally, but mostly only in higher risk areas.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I think Blackhawk 6 put it about as well as I've ever seen concerning the need for two carry guns (unless you're an LEO or in a combat zone). Still, if you feel you MUST carry +1 or more weapons, try and follow the KISS rule. Your likelyhood of getting confused or making a mistake are less if you keep your primary and BUG as similar as possible.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links