Should I carry 2 guns? - Page 3

Should I carry 2 guns?

This is a discussion on Should I carry 2 guns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thank you everyone, you guys have certainly opened up my eyes and give me alot to think about. Very glad I joined and looking foward ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should I carry 2 guns?

Thank you everyone, you guys have certainly opened up my eyes and give me alot to think about. Very glad I joined and looking foward to contribute in the future.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Personaly I normaly carry two , one loaded for farm vermin and one loaded for city vermin . If i go to a larger town , i just load both for city type two legged vermin lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I carry two. Usually one 1911 and one P3AT.
    If it's night time when I leave out...it moves to 2 1911s and the P3AT.

If I run through 2 1911s and 2 spare mags...the 380 will be shot over the shoulder as I'm running away

If I feel the need for more...I stay home and clean my guns :-)

Quote Originally Posted by casio02478
    Hi, new poster here and I hope to get a question answered. Should I carry two guns in everyday life or just one is enough? Any advice on type and caliber will help greatly. Thank you in advance.
    I would personally only carry one. As long as you maintain your equipment and practice, the chances that you'll ever need a backup piece is greatly reduce.

Carrying a backup piece you can expect that a sharp lawyer will convince a jury that you were looking for trouble (whether you use it or not) thus the need for the backup. You'll become the criminal, the criminal the victim and there surviving family members will get a new fully furnishes home, car(s) and an income for life. Namely "YOURS!"

If you decide to carry a backup, ask your local prositcutor what their position is on this practice by licensed citizens. Then you'll know where you stand if you ever have to use deadly force.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Guess they'd have a field day with me.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    As long as you maintain your equipment and practice, the chances that you'll ever need a backup piece is greatly reduce. (ed)
    this i agree with ....

Carrying a backup piece you can expect that a sharp lawyer will convince a jury that you were looking for trouble (whether you use it or not) thus the need for the backup.
    This i dont agree with , many LE agencys not only allow but ISSUE and mandate carry of a bug . Maby it will be brought up , but if so its a " skeet shoot " that winds up with you following the standards of respected LE agencys ...

It comes down to YOU and your comfort level / commitment . What is right for me may well not be for you , Choose the minimom that you are comfortable with , i am fine with one gun except i shoot more on the farm ( snakes , and other vermin ) than eaver will otherwise , I still howeaver want good ammo ( other than cheap ball ) for thoes " social times " . and cant afford to waste it on some dammed snake or skunk lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Sponsor
    AnimalKracker;

Nice setup. Real ivory or feau grips? It looks like N/S's on the rears from the pics, yes?

What models? More importantly, are you ambi and able to use them in concert with one another? Inquiring minds and all that, ya know.

I could not wear that but one or two weeks a year out here in the heat.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Nice to have a choice; look at statistics and compare them to your circumstances and do a simple risk assessment. I have four tires on my car, I carry one spare. If I was driving the Alaskan Highway from start to finish, I'd carry 2 or 3.

Everyone is different but I like what some have said about preparation. Just carrying a gun can be like having insurance that doesn't necessarily pay out on a claim.

I like the idea of having one really good quality arm that you like, practice with, and are good with. If you want to carry a second weapon go for it.

I think many of us start one way and things change as we get used to carrying and learn how we can or can not dress to accomodate it, etc.

I do believe I would try my very best to avoid areas where I would feel compelled to be armed with two guns.

A knife is another matter, I always have one on unless going to the airport but I hope to God I never have to use it.

I end up carrying a KelTec P3AT in .380 most of the time because of my build, lifestyle influence on how I dress and the relatively low threat I face each day.

I wouldn't listen to anyone who always comes up with "what if" scenarios and always carrys two guns, a bug, a knife and wears body armour, etc. Fortunately I don't think there's anyone like that on this forum. Not knocking being heavily armed, just the attitude of some that seems very disproportionate to the their everyday circumstances.

I would like to carry a compact 1911 everyday but I have a lifestyle where my shirts are always tucked and I'm in business dress or dress cloths which typically aren't the best for concealing. I tried the tuckable and just don't think that works. I can see a friend or coworker saying "whats that clip on your belt?"

And if your thin around the waist it's even harder because a tuckable in waist holster puts a distinct buldge on your belt line. They might not know it's a gun but they'll know its something. Dress has a LOT to do with what you carry.

I imagine you'll be like everyone else in that you'll probably change how and what you carry several times before you settle into something that seems to work for you.

Good luck and have fun working it out!

Gideon

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr
    AnimalKracker;

Nice setup. Real ivory or feau grips? It looks like N/S's on the rears from the pics, yes?

What models? More importantly, are you ambi and able to use them in concert with one another? Inquiring minds and all that, ya know.

I could not wear that but one or two weeks a year out here in the heat.

Brownie
    Here's a thread with more information http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=11263 I can shoot left handed, and when I'm back in practice I can handle two at once. I'm right eye dominate, but I had a lazy eye as a kid. After reading for a while or after just getting tired, my eyes would go all cock-eyed. So anyway after a year or longer of eye excercises, I have peripheral vision like you want believe, and they can pretty much change focus when I need to. They are just getting old now. http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=11675 http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=11601

Sponsor
    I just saw that thread, thanks

I have had an RIA 45, excellent guns, very reliable and Ivan [ the owner ] is a good on his warrantee's. I've spoken to him a few times on the phone and several emails.

Nice pistolas sir.

As to two gun shooting, I train others in that venue using an enhanced peripheral vision technique I developed over a decade ago. Kudos to being able to use that skill.

Brownie

stmichps:
    "Carrying a backup piece you can expect that a sharp lawyer will convince a jury that you were looking for trouble (whether you use it or not) thus the need for the backup."

Redneck Repairs:
    This i dont agree with , many LE agencys not only allow but ISSUE and mandate carry of a bug . Maby it will be brought up , but if so its a " skeet shoot " that winds up with you following the standards of respected LE agencys ... [/QUOTE]

Your choice, but just because the local LE agency sanctions such practices by their officers, doesn't necessarily means that the law and/or prosecutor will view your choice in the same light. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr
    I just saw that thread, thanks

I have had an RIA 45, excellent guns, very reliable and Ivan [ the owner ] is a good on his warrantee's. I've spoken to him a few times on the phone and several emails.

Nice pistolas sir.

As to two gun shooting, I train others in that venue using an enhanced peripheral vision technique I developed over a decade ago. Kudos to being able to use that skill.

Brownie
    I got to get back in practice. I'm going to get several left hand holsters later on. I'm really quite comfortable shooting that way. I write,and eat left, shoot mainly right but no problem with shooting either. I wrench right.

Sponsor
    The ONLY issue in court will be whether you acted under the guidelines of the law for using lethal force against another.

Other issues MAY be brought up by a DA or prosecutor. Their job is to convict and convince the jury the state has enough evidence that you broke a law.

It is not against the law to carry 18 guns with proper permits. One, two or ten guns on you has no bearing on the case whatsoever. For that matter, carrying a spare magazine or two could also be construed by the same DA as just waiting to use ALL the ammo on the street.

It's irrelevant to the case, and you hire a defense atty who knows how to keep the facts of the case in proper perspective with the jurors. I don't expect a DA to view anything I did as lawful, afterall, I would not be in a criminal courtroom otherwise.

Trials are not meant to be fair, they are knock down drag outs under the guise of "justice". Oh yes, I worked for both the criminal division of the atty generals office in Mass.; various prosecutors/DA's in ifferent counties and defense attys for 28 years. Working both sides has it's benefits in the knowledge of just what to expect and how to prepare for cases.

If I find myself in times of trouble, I'll let the best atty I can find take care of the small stuff after I survived the streets with my guns.

My job is to stay above ground on the street, the DA's job is to convict at all costs, my attys job is to make sure the jury stays focused on the facts of the case and doesn't fall to the games the DA will attempt to play to get the jury to convict, even on a lesser charge.

DA's cut their teeth on court appointed attys, when they run into a real atty with experience and who are savvy to the "games" that will be played, most will not even bother to play half the games they would like to as they will look exactly like the people they are.

Edited to add: I was also a PO for 9 of those years making arrests and in court on that side of things as well. In time, you gain perspective of the criminal justice system and how it works. Mostly, the outcome is determined over lunches between the DA's, clerks of court and defense attys who all kow each other very well.

Mass is one of the MOST liberal states in the country. The games by DA's against ccw carriers are more aggressive there than many other venues. Still you have to take your best "shot" and stay above ground first to make it to the courtroom to begin with.

Stay within the law, that means knowing the laws governing your actions [ in this case SD with a handgun ]. Act prudently and judictiously within the law and let the attys worry about the small stuff if you are already in court for the actions you made.

The more you know about such matters, the more training you have, the less you are apt to make mistakes on the streets and should be able to articulate your actions as prudent and necessary at the time you acted in SD.

The graveyards are full of people who hesitated for the very reason they were nervous about being charged with a crime after the fact. Hesitating in their actions got them killed.

Brownie
    Last edited by AzQkr; August 1st, 2006 at 02:13 AM.

Sponsor
    I write right, eat left, throw left, shoot right [ consider it my strong hand ] and shoot almost as well left handed.

BTW- I slightly left eye dominant [ no master eye ], there's a difference between the two. I'd guess you are eye nuetral or slightly dominant on one side, with no master eye as well.

Brownie

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links