Should I carry 2 guns?

Should I carry 2 guns?

This is a discussion on Should I carry 2 guns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, new poster here and I hope to get a question answered. Should I carry two guns in everyday life or just one is enough? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I carry 2 guns?

Should I carry 2 guns?

Hi, new poster here and I hope to get a question answered. Should I carry two guns in everyday life or just one is enough? Any advice on type and caliber will help greatly. Thank you in advance.

If you are physically capable of carrying two, I think you'll find it hard to come up with reasons not to do so (other than comfort).

The selection for your 2nd gun will depend on what you carry for your primary. Some folks like to carry 2 revolvers, which gives them the same "operating system" for both guns and the 2nd acts as a quick reload.

Others will carry an automatic for primary with a revolver for backup.

This could evolve into a long discussion about "what to carry" and "what caliber" so to speed things along maybe you could provide a little more background on what you have now and how you're doing with that.

Assistant Administrator
    Hello Casio -

There is no ''rule'', only recommendations and much may depend on where you are domiciled. My area is semi rural and my risk factor overall is very modest for most part - and so much of the time I just have my 226 as EDC. I do tho also most times out and about have a vest as cover garment and that has my NAA Mini .22 mag always in a pocket.

So - often two yes - but of course my NAA as a BUG is very much ''mouse bug'' My other BUG can be a 9mm R9 which is easy in the pocket.

Let's say circumstances and self risk appraisal will have some bearing - knowing where you go, what you feel is your risk exposure. In essence if you decide on two then 1 will probably be a larger gun and BUG a (relatively) small piece. Your chosen dress mode too will influence what you can manage.

Your options are very wide - add more of your own thinking and info to help our analysis.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I frequently carry two guns when I am wearing 5.11 gear (shirt, vest, or jacket). Their clothing has concealment pockets built in on both sides, and I started carrying a Glock23 on one side, and two mags on the other side. Now I carry the 23 on one side, a G30 on the other, and one reload mag for each on my belt. And yes, in the heat of an encounter, it could be a problem trying to reload the 23 with the 30 mag, but if I go through both guns and need to reload, I am already in deep kimshee (is that ok to say Mods?)

VIP Member
    Welcome from Middle Tennessee!

As to two or more, it will depend upon an assessment of your needs, as those above have mentioned. Whatever you decide, feel comfortable with it, and reassess freely whenever you feel the need.

Good luck, and good shooting!

Thank you guys, for your quick responses. My surroundings are very varied, it ranges from rural to urban settings. I was thinking of a Springfield XD in 9mm for primary and a ket-tec .380APC for back up. I want to reduce size as much as possiable for both weapons. That way it increase my options for carrying and clothing style. Do both guns have to use the same type of ammo? What do you guys think?

Assistant Administrator
    One big advantage of same cal carry in two guns is - commonality - added to which if same gun types too - you have more options if a mag fails you etc.

This tho is not always practicable and so your potential choice is very much what a lot of folks do - a prime of 9mm or greater and then a small pocket rocket like the KT .380. Main thing is - if something goes wrong with prime then you at least have one more option.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Let me welcome you to the forum, from Rocky Top Tennessee. You have received some good advice and I will add that you have chosen two fine weapons as carry guns. The person most responsible for your safety looks back at you when you brush your teeth or comb your hair. Therefore, after much advice and saying what others do it is your final choice. Of course, you will make the decision most pertinant to your situation. Stay safe and carry often.

I'll be the voice of dissent. I see little need for the average person to carry more than one gun. If you want to carry two guns, go for it. But I don't think you need two guns.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I see little need for the average person to carry more than one gun.

+1
    It is alot of extra weight and hassle, and for the average joe blow citizen, carrying 2 is most likely not necessary. Im sure someone will try to say every "what if" scenario in the world to the contrary, but average citizens are not involved in the miami shootout everyday, or faced with Armageddon or whatever else there may be.

If you feel that your personal risk is high, then carrying 2 may be justified. For most people simply having a spare magazine is all that is needed.

Its all just personal preferance. I carry 2 when I am traveling, or in "high-Risk" situations. Rest of the time, 1+ a spare mag is enough.
    Fear No Evil.

I should have mentioned the reason I carry 2 guns with 5.11 gear is that it balances the shirt, vest, jacket. Yes, the weight is noticable, but it is even more noticable with a pistol on one side, and nothing on the other; the garment hangs sideways, and spare mags, etc on the other side just don't do it. I seldomly carry that way, but have on occasion, and both of the above posts are correct; I shouldn't need two guns.

By the way, welcome to the forum Casio!

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Hey, whatever floats your boat.

If you can handle both weapons, want to carry both and can, without undue discomfort, then go for it.

I only ever carry my .45ACP Ultra Carry, although sometimes on long road trips I'll take my full-size M1911 along for plinking.

My primary weapon is between my ears, and my compact M1911 IS my backup. Properly trained and discerning, the former will keep me out of gunfight-of-the-century situations where I might need backup to my carry piece, and the latter with 2 spare mags will cover anything short of a Mogadishu/Black Hawk Down-like encounter. Historically, the overwhelming number of personal combat situations that require gunfire end with only a few rounds fired, and those at 10-15 feet of range or less.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

Aside from having a quick reload at your disposal, carrying a 2nd gun will also provide some recovery from a failure of your primary weapon. If you break a firing pin, extractor, mag catch, spring(s), etc., you will still have something to fall back on.

Some people find that important, some don't. You'll have to evaluate that decision for yourself.

As for commonality of caliber: it can prove useful, especially for revolvers; however, another related consideration is commonality of magazines. For example, a Glock 27 can use the longer/higher-cap mags from a Glock 23. A P99c can use P99 mags, etc. So, if your primary weapon breaks, you can still use all your carried reloads. Or, if you decide to only carry the subcompact one day, you can still maintain a single set of the longer mags for your reloads, and use them in the smaller gun.

Edited to add: if your primary hand becomes injured or somehow occupied, you may want to have another weapon accessible to the other hand.
    Last edited by gunmetal; July 30th, 2006 at 02:41 PM.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by gunmetal
    ....If your primary hand becomes injured or somehow occupied, you may want to have another weapon accessible to the other hand.
    Great advise!. Carrying strong AND weak side (simultaneously) is an optimum advantage, if you're able to do so.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links