New Kahr owner. CW9 report.

This is a discussion on New Kahr owner. CW9 report. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello guys, I just got back from my first range report. First I did the proper cleaning w/brake clean, then lubed, polished the feed ramp ...

Thread: New Kahr owner. CW9 report.

New Kahr owner. CW9 report.

Hello guys, I just got back from my first range report. First I did the proper cleaning w/brake clean, then lubed, polished the feed ramp (w/toothpaste!) and racked the slide 500 times! I also locked the slide open for a full day which is a trick I learned with my FNP-40, then I proceeded to fire 200 rds of FMJ down range.

Not one hiccup at all! Gun ran perfect! At first I though it was shooting a little low and to the left but I quickly learned it was operator error. I was out to break in the gun and wasnt worried about grouping. Having said that, when I did go for groups I could put it right where I wanted it. It took me a minute to get used to the trigger but I'm liking it now. Much smoother/lighter than my LCR which is DAO.

If I had to make a complaint I guess it would be, I wish the mag dropped a little easier, and really its just getting used to a different gun. This one I have to press the mag release all the way in when my other guns I dont. I'm ok with this because its a smaller gun and I wouldnt want to release the mag unintentionally. My hand is abit rough from the grip but I did just run 200rds in about 35 minutes. I do want to get a hogue slip grip for it though. Any recommendations for the Hogue?

I'm very pleased with my purchase and cant wait to get to know my girl a little better. I had a Taurus PT709 and that was horrible, FTE, jams all the time and had very bad accuracy and a terrible trigger. I though I was done with little 9s but the Kahr CW9 is a fantastic gun. Its a keeper!
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on the new Kahr. Great guns.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Don't base your need for the Hogue grip on your hand being sore... 200 rounds in 35 minutes is pretty aggressive shooting, especially considering those Kahr mags are about as friendly as razor blades to load! Seriously, for my average-sized hands I see no need for either a larger or 'grippier' grip for my CW9. I like its compact and slender size, but - just one man's opinion.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Don't base your need for the Hogue grip on your hand being sore... 200 rounds in 35 minutes is pretty aggressive shooting, especially considering those Kahr mags are about as friendly as razor blades to load! Seriously, for my average-sized hands I see no need for either a larger or 'grippier' grip for my CW9. I like its compact and slender size, but - just one man's opinion.
    I agree 100%. The CW9 fits my hand like a glove and I'm not too worried about finding a Hogue but I would like to try one just for kicks. My hand didnt really start getting sore until 150+. This trip was for break-in purposes only and future range trips with proabably be kept around 50-100 rds. Oh yeah, the Kahr mag is a complete pain to load! My other single stacks are a pleasure to load but not the Kahr!

Not to make you feel bad or anything, but I just took mine outta the box and started shooting it. Over 400 rounds now without a single hickup, even with weak handloads. I can't even say that about my Ruger P90!

Glad you like it!

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I put 154 rounds through my P9 a couple days ago in 30 minutes and came away without fatique or soreness. I use a Pachmayr sleeve with a single finger bump. IMHO, it does make a difference. The Pachmayr has less of a palm swell than the Hogue Handall Jr., but either will add comfort and a more secure grip.

I'm not one to use brake cleaner or do all the "prep" stuff, none of which is recommended by Kahr BTW, but rather think shooting is the best use of time with a pistol. I would strongly suspect that one magazines worth of shooting accomplishes more than 500 hand cycles. Sorry, but I don't see the point.

Hope your new Kahr continues to perform well, I've had eight of them, very niffty guns, I'm a fan.

Distinguished Member
    Be gland that you have to push the mag release all the way in to get it to drop. My P9 started dropping the mag while firing after I had put 200 rounds through it. It protrudes so far it's hard not to hit it. I don't know if it was me or the mag catch causing it. I didn't want to take any chances so I called Kahr, as others with the same problem recommended. Kahr sent me a new mag catch and it hasn't dropped since I replaced it.

I don't like finger grooves so I put a qwik grip #2 on mine. It made a big difference in the feel and comfort, one of the best $10 that I have spent.

Also, try pushing up on the magazine before hitting the release. If your CW9 is like my CM9, the magazine should loosen up a bit as you keep shooting. But ultimately, I don't think Kahr ever designed their guns to be super drop capable. Probably not a bad thing, though. Definitely don't want to be accidentally dropping magazines.

You can try loading and unloading a fully loaded magazine (so that you have the weight) in and out a bunch of times at home if you want. Might accelerate the break in process on that as well. I've noticed my CM9 is loosening up a bit in the magazine department and becoming easier to handle in that respect. I have about 138 rounds, but I did some of what I just described.

While I thought the 500 hand cycles was strange, I really didnt mind. It only took me a few minutes and that was that. As far as the clean/lube/buff, I do that to all my guns before shooting them for the first time. Its gives me a chance inspect the insides and be sure everything is properly lubed. I just finished cleaning the CW9 and a new LCP that I picked up today and the mag drops much cleaner now. Overall I'm happy, does it function as well as my FNPs? No, but I dont think any small gun does. FWIW I thought the CW9 settled in real nice after 50rds.

VIP Member
    Don't know if I was just lucky or what, but the only thing I did with the wifes CW9 and my CW45 was a basic clean before taking them to the range. Both worked flawlessly with no hiccups at all.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

jyo
    At this time, I have two CW9s---one for me, one for the wife---both run 100% with any 115-124 FMJ/JHPs I can find---both shoot right to point of aim and have good triggers---they are 100% stock right out of the box with no sleeves or other mods---my favorite small pistol!

I also have a CW9 and it is dang near the perfect single stack 9mm out there, IMO. Close to 1,200 trouble free rounds now.

Good to hear, have to go shoot mine.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Links