Taurus 709 Slim - 2000 Round Challenge

Taurus 709 Slim - 2000 Round Challenge

This is a discussion on Taurus 709 Slim - 2000 Round Challenge within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to the LGS today just to look around. I've been looking for a small single-stack 9mm for a while. I've looked at the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Taurus 709 Slim - 2000 Round Challenge

Wink Taurus 709 Slim - 2000 Round Challenge

I went to the LGS today just to look around. I've been looking for a small single-stack 9mm for a while. I've looked at the Kahr PM9, P9, CM9, and CW9. I've checked out the Kel-Tec PF9, Walther PPS, and the new Ruger LC9 (LC9 was today). Several months ago, I even looked at the Taurus 709 Slim.

As you can guess from the title, I walked out with a Taurus 709 Slim (new in box). I wasn't planning on buying anything, but it was an exceptional deal and there are several things I like about the pistol so I couldn't pass it up. I took it home, cleaned the packing grease out, and I'm going to give it an out of the box 2000 round challenge.

I'm headed to the range tonight to start it out with 200+ rounds.

Per the 2000 round challenge rules, I'll be keeping a log of every shot fired and I'll let you know how it runs.

It came with two magazines and a bulldog case. I'm so glad Taurus doesn't pull that 1 mag trash that other companies have been doing. It's just small enough for pocket carry in pants or shorts with larger pockets (probably not jeans). I'll do an overall review of it after I get a feel for it but it is indeed light and slim.

Now that I've said all that, let the Taurus bashing begin!
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

I won't bash it. I look forward to your reports. 200 in one sitting maybe a little much tho. At least for me. My palm starts to get sore pretty quick because of their size. That is why they are made for deep concealment and not an all day range gun tho. Congrats on your new pistol, I am sure it will serve you well.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

I won't bash either. I really REALLY wanted to love my 709, but after 2 trips to the factory (i bought it used too, but you could tell it was not used much) the darn thing just would not reliably eject shells. Had to trade it in, because after each trip took almost 2 months, I figured even if i did get it back a third time and it actually got fixed, I still wouldn't REALLY trust it. In the back of my mind I would still question it. I traded it off for a LCP which I will use for pocket/deep concealment and a SR9c for EDC. Hope your results are better than mine, i really did like just about everything about that gun.

Good luck with that. If you can get 2000 flawless rounds through it I will consider one.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Two out of the last three guns I've seen choke at the range were Taurus 709s. Good luck with that.

I got rid of my PT709 not long ago. I wanted to love it but the consistant FTEs just erked me and I never felt I could trust it. I thought the accuracy was terrible and the trigger was real spongy feeling. My wife couldnt git through a mag with-out failures but she doesnt have a real strong grip. She doesnt have limp-wrist problems with any other gun but the PT709. I bought her a LCR instead and I just got myself a CW9. The CW9 is a great CCW and no failers to date. I sincerly hope you have better luck than I did. I had a real early model so maybe they are better now. Keep us informed.
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

My 709 is well past the 2000 round challenge, but since I didn't even know there was a challenge, it's undocumented. Mine's been good from day one, and shoots anything I've put through it - easily over a dozen types of JHP and FMJ rounds plus my reloads. I used to carry it every day until I got my PT-145 - which, by the way, has been equally good. Doesn't have 2000 rounds through it yet, but getting close to a thousand. This was my third Taurus semi-auto. Second one was a PT-1911. Do I need to say it's been completely reliable as well? I'm sure some folks have had troubles with their Taurus handguns - I just have a hard time believing that I'm so lucky if they are as bad as the haters say.
    darbo likes this.
    Slow scopes, fast cars.
    'Chance favors the prepared mind' - Louis Pasteur

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    I have over 3350 problem free rounds through mine, even still using the same stock recoil spring assembly. I do not know what the official recommended replacement interval is for the PT709, I guess when it starts having problems is when I change it out . Not officially documented but if you go to this thread I started posting at 1100 rounds with my Taurus PT709. I have a used a mixture of different ammo from FMJ and HP's, 115gr to 124gr, some +P and several boxes of the Winchester NATO 9mm rounds. I have even used steel cased Tulammo and it fed fine and went bang. Just posting my own experience with mine. Good luck with yours. God Bless

How many rounds have your shot through your Taurus PT709 ???
    darbo likes this.

So I went to the range tonight and shot 207 rounds (I'll get to that in a bit) with only one issue. I think it was my fault, but I have to document it under the rules of the challenge.

On the third magazine (round 21), the slide failed to lock back on the empty mag. This was probably my fault because when I looked my right thumb was sitting square on the slide release lever. I adjusted my grip accordingly and didn't have a single other issue the rest of the session.

200 rounds Winchester White Box
    7 rounds (one mag) Pow'r Ball (it's too expensive to shoot a lot, but I wanted to see how this gun handled defensive ammo)

So far, so good. It shoots well for a little gun. It wants to squirm in my hands a bit if I don't really lock down on it. I think I can get used to that, though.

As far as the spongy trigger that people are mentioning, it is a bit soft for the first 3/4 of the take up but then you hit a solid catch before the break. By the third or fourth mag I was able to stage the trigger to that point every time. You can almost jerk the trigger back to that point (because you can feel when you hit it) then squeeze through the break. It also has a short, solid trigger reset like a Glock so you don't feel the sponginess after the first shot as long as you don't release the trigger all the way. You can feel it click into place just like the Glock trigger.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

los
    Early 709s had a defective extractor that was eventually redesigned which practically eliminated FTE issues.
    darbo likes this.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I am officially documented at 1,800 rounds through my 709 with NO issues AT ALL. NONE. I bought it new and I have not had to do a single thing to it except clean it. No trips back, nothing. Mine is even an early one with the original early extractor. No problems. I clean it every time I shoot it, or at 200 rounds. I never shoot more than 200 without at least running a bore snake through it. I haven't shot it much lately as I've had several new handguns to put through their paces. I'll have to put another 200 through it soon just so I can bust through the 2K mark. I only shoot Federal and American Eagle 115gr FMJ (and some Speer SD rounds that I carry). Nothing else.
    darbo likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    Not going to bash them, I've had several that were flawless. However the 709 I have has been nothing but trouble. I bought it because I liked the second strike capability it offered. Unfortunately that is also where the trouble comes in. It will inadvertantly go into double action trigger for no reason. Doesn't do it everytime, may do it 2 rounds in a row, or it may do it once and then finish the magazine as designed. It's been back to the factory and is still doing the same thing. Their repair ticket tells me nothing. All it states is "Replaced Parts". Replaced it with a CW9 and it will go on the block at the next gun show.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I must be doing something wrong. After all of these years of shooting I could not begin to tell anyone how many rounds my x , y , or z gun has fired. Is there a certain magical number that declares a certain gun good to go? Please enlighten me, maybe I am just behind the times.

Something else , why do people have to break in a semi auto? I have found that by leaving the weapon with the slide locked back overnight and the mags fully loaded will " soften" the springs and save ya alot of money in ammo. Or should I spend 100.00 or do dollars to make sure a gun I've already put money into is worth it?
    Not bashin here at all, just thinking.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2000 rounds without cleaning in all conditions without a single malfunction = GTG

Good Luck with your Taurus. Through my previous experience, I would never trust my life on one.

I've just complete my 2000 round challenge with my HK P30. The gun has over 7600 rounds ITD. It was buried in mud, dirt, rain, etc during an outdoor tactical course and fired without a hiccup with WWB 115g.

I'm doing the same thing with my M&P9 FS. Wish me luck.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I must be doing something wrong. After all of these years of shooting I could not begin to tell anyone how many rounds my x , y , or z gun has fired. Is there a certain magical number that declares a certain gun good to go? Please enlighten me, maybe I am just behind the times.

Something else , why do people have to break in a semi auto? I have found that by leaving the weapon with the slide locked back overnight and the mags fully loaded will " soften" the springs and save ya alot of money in ammo. Or should I spend 100.00 or do dollars to make sure a gun I've already put money into is worth it?
    Not bashin here at all, just thinking.
    I only kept up with exact count in my PT709 because I read about the issues people were having. I decided I would not carry it until I had 500 rounds through it. 500 came and went with no problems and then I kept up with total rounds from there because it was interesting. Passed 1,000 and still no problems. Then passed 1,500 and still no problems. After the last couple times out, it is now up to 1,800. It has just been interesting to me to keep count with this particular gun.

I don't see it as "breaking in" as I do the same thing you do. Slide lock open and fill up the mags. I see it as my getting proficient with a particular weapon and knowing what to expect from it. I typically will not carry any handgun until I have a minimum of 200 rounds through it, but that is more for ME than the firearm. It does confirm for me that the firearm is in proper working order and that I am familiar with it and able to do what I need to do with it and know what to expect from both it and me. Does that make sense?

Perhaps I got super lucky with my Taurus 709. Perhaps I always get super lucky. I have 16 handguns and have never had any issues with any of them over a 20 year period. I am also super meticulous about how I treat my handguns too (cleaning, shooting decent ammo, etc.). Coincidental? Maybe, I don't know.
    darbo likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links