Anybody else ever buy a pistol, w/o handling it?

This is a discussion on Anybody else ever buy a pistol, w/o handling it? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Israeli Military Industries/Magnum Research/Kahr Arms has finally started importing the Baby Eagle again (been a long year and a half). They have a new model ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else ever buy a pistol, w/o handling it?

Anybody else ever buy a pistol, w/o handling it?

Israeli Military Industries/Magnum Research/Kahr Arms has finally started importing the Baby Eagle again (been a long year and a half).

They have a new model out, a Full Size poly version. Previously their poly models were only semi compact and compact.

I've been drooling over the full size version ever since I found out that they were importing it, and normally it would not be an issue, but they changed the grip on it (finger molded vs. smooth). I have yet to find a local store that carries it. Unfortunately it seems that they are following their same standard of severe lack of advertising and marketing - ergo the box stores don't have it. Everyone that I have contacted say that they can order it, but that means money down and commit to buy. The different grip really makes me want to touch and feel before I buy.

Anybody else brand loyal take the jump on a new version w/o ever touching it?

Full size steel model

Full size Poly model
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

I bought a Taurus TCP 738 without holding one. For it was a good choice. No finger grooves.

However going to a finger molded model may not be a good idea. For example, My hand fits the finger grooves on my Glock 26 perfectly. When I wanted to add a G19 I discovered that my hand didn't fit at all. The spacing of the finger grooves just didn't feel right on the G19. I ended up buying a G17, that did fit my hand.
    Question Everything!

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I bought my first pistol without handling it (Heckler & Koch USP Compact .40 S&W), but it was mostly out of ignorance. Fortunately, the pistol was perfect, it handled perfectly and it has been extremely reliable.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    lots of purchases on gunbrooker, though they tend to be older items--38 S&W's, 32-20's, some 32acp's early Mauser's and others overthe past 8+ years.
    a couple of times there were conversations after the delivery and we both come away feeling that right prevailed.

if you are not truly up on buying used, 'seeing' what a picture is really telling you; if you can not be flexible and able to negotiate, buying unseen may not be for you.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    can't honestly remember if I handled one before buying or not, but my purchase of my new LCR on gunbroker is with no regrets. Also as mentioned earlier purchased several used online with no problems.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I've purchased all but 3 of mine unhandled. None of which were disappointments.

I'm an anomaly though. I buy to try instead of renting or borrowing.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Senior Moderator
    We've actually bought more guns we HAVEN'T handled than guns we have handled.

Some things were "custom" orders like the Nighthawk and the Noveske. You pretty much just have to trust the reputation of the builders on those kinds of things.

I bought my Wilson Combat unhandled as well as my Glock Gen 4 19 (though I'd handled many other Gen 4 Glocks and 1911s so it wasn't like I didn't know what I was getting into). They both have good reputations as well.

I don't think I would do it with a brand new model that I hadn't had a chance to at least feel and play with a little bit. To me there might be something that I just didn't like. Not to mention some new models have to work out a few kinks (Rugers come to mind).

Yes, a couple.
    You often can't find one at a LGS.

I bought a new Sig 225 without ever handling it. I love it.
    I knew I didn't like the double stack, and thought I'd like the 225. I was right.
    However, I did all the research I could, forums and tests.

Same with my Colt AR, but that was a no brainer.

Come to think of it, I've bought a few that way.

Seems to bite me in the arse every time.

Keltec Sub 2k - Had to send back twice to Manf. for warranty QC issues.
    PSL - Replaced due to canted front sight.
    Baby Eagle off of gunbroker - cut rifled barrel instead of polygonal rifling (probably an early 1990 model).
    And now the Full Size Poly Baby Eagle. Feeding issues and mis-aligned rear sight (other thread on the matter).

Sigh.

All part of the game I guess. I gave up waiting for the box stores to bring them in.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I have made some purchases without handling the firearm...right here on the forum.
    Sometimes a man has to do, what a man has to do...
    I've never been disappointed.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Only one, my G33. I already love Glocks and have had a G22 for over 10 years. Never handled a subcompact. I had to special order the G33, no one carries them around here.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

I live in Minnesota, bought my XDM from Florida. First time I handled it was at my FFL, love the gun!

BUT - I did handle one before at a local gun shop before I made my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    I've purchased all but 3 of mine unhandled. None of which were disappointments.

I'm an anomaly though. I buy to try instead of renting or borrowing.
    It would take you at least an hour to handle all of them right now, Bro. And what would your wife say? :)

You should provide further assistance to your clients by helping family members liquidate weapons for services rendered. Imagine that!

Oh, and I've bought stuff off Funbroker and never been disappointed, most recently my Smith 686+ wheelie, 6" barrel, NIB. Nicest, most accurate gun I own (uhhh, other than my Glocks:))

I've bought a few new guns that where not out yet (or just released). So, I could not even see then in person.
    My LC9, SR1911 and now I'm waiting on a SR40c. Paid for up front and have not been dissappointed so far!....
    I do try to do some homework first.

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

I bought my XD40 without handling one. There are no LGS's in my area and the only place to purchase guns in my area is pawn shops (which have a very limited selection. I would have to drive 50 miles to a LGS that I don't like because they are nasty and act like you are imposing on them when you need help or have a question.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links