AMMO FOR BERETTA TOMCAT/ALLEYCAT .32acp

This is a discussion on AMMO FOR BERETTA TOMCAT/ALLEYCAT .32acp within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Having just got my Tomcat, I'm trying different ammo for it and would like to hear what ammo works best for yours. I realize each ...

Thread: AMMO FOR BERETTA TOMCAT/ALLEYCAT .32acp

Having just got my Tomcat, I'm trying different ammo for it and would like to hear what ammo works best for yours. I realize each gun may like different ammo, but I'd still like to hear the varieties that "feed" your Tomcat. Thanks " Tomcatters!"
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    S&B is 'hotter' than most commercial American ammo. so if your spring is new & strong and the slide is tight,
    it may be what will operate your gun. after break-in (a concept pushed on us by manufactures who want us, at our expense, to finish their job)
    try some silver tips for SD in short sleeve weather. ball otherwise. short bbl 32's seldom get velocity enough for reliable HP expansion.
    i said 'seldom' cause there are some SD ammo that will expand reliably; its expensive though.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

claude clay--- Hey,Man! My middle name is Cl----. Used to get teased about it until the French skier, Jean CLAUDE Killey made it big in the Olympics some years ago! And used to live in CT. in the early '70's for a short time and then again in the early 80's--- couldn't seem to get away from CT! Loved sailing my small boat at Greenwich Cove( NO--- I did not live in THAT part of town!!). Anyway, thanks for the tip. I've only put about 50 rds. through it , but the American Eagle did poorly and the Fiocchi did much better. How many rds. do you think it
    needs before the FTF's go away--- understanding that this gun has had its share of problems over the years: I'm hoping MOST of that has been dealt with. Anyway, many thanks.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I have a well used Tomcat and I carry Cor Bon JHP in it. Haven't had any issues. I tested a bunch of JHP in water and wet newspaper and the Hornady XTP and Fed Hydra Shok never expanded at all, he Gold Dot sometimes did, and the Silvertip expanded then tumbled. I had squibs in two separate boxes of Fiocchi SJHP and had one round during testing that barely cleared the barrel. It hit the piece of denim covering the water jugs and bounced off without denting the back.

All of my magazines have "Flyer Wires" installed when using JHP, especially the extra short Cor Bons. Never personally been a big fan of FMJ for defense.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Superhouse 15___ Just what the Hay are "Flyer Wires???"

A spacer made of steel wire fit into the back of the magazine. Short JHP rounds hae room to move forward in magazines made for FMJ. If the next-to-top round moves forward and the rim gets in front of the rim of the top roumd, a condition known as "rimlock" occurs. The top round won't feed and requires three hands, four swear words, and some amount of frustration to clear.

I've only ever had it happen in an aftermarket Kel Tec magazine with a +1 floorplate on it (which should have been a red flag about reliability anyway...) but I put them in all my .32s just in case. For practice with ball it takes about 10 seconds to remove or replace.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Good to know that!

Sponsored Links