Striker vs Hammer actuated

This is a discussion on Striker vs Hammer actuated within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First of all I'm sure there are good reliable weapons with either configuration. I'm looking for a new carry gun and after giving it lots ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Striker vs Hammer actuated

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

First of all I'm sure there are good reliable weapons with either configuration. I'm looking for a new carry gun and after giving it lots of thought I keep eliminating striker type pistols. I have/has many guns in my life but looking back the ones I was ready to trade, sell, or just give away were all striker types. I've never had a pistol with a hammer fail to go bang without some sort of reasonable cause beyond the gun itself.

Anybody else feel this way? Or am i just a bit too paranoid?

BTW going to step up a couple of notches. going with a Baer 1911 Premier II Super-Tac. May as well carry my fear of failure (or paranoia?) to the next lever of comfort.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

The high end guns are absolutely top notch. But, what you are really paying for is pride of ownership of having an expendive gun to show and tell. Striker fired guns are very sucessfully and make up some of the most popular guns of today.

The real question is what do you like , and how much money to pay for a weapon that will be confinscated, at least temporarily, if you should ever use it in SD.
    bigdog44 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    for SD, the striker fired may have a gritty or stacked trigger--but it is a SD gun, not a target or bullseye shooter.
    though many are capable with a bit of work on your part to adjust to the feel of the trigger or do some parts and polishing.
    each type shines depending on how you intend to use it.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    I've always prided my self on my ability to hit what I shoot at. At my age due to eye sight I've lost some but still do OK at short distances. That said I've never shot at someone shooting back. Hope I never have to. I'm sure much is lost by all at that point with respect to accuracy. still the accuracy it important to me but not close to as important as a carrying a gun that always goes bang when the trigger is squeezed. As for confiscation; I'd give up a $10,000 gun that works for each SD I'm involved in. Better that then to have a malfunctioning low priced gun handed back to my widow.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    I've always prided my self on my ability to hit what I shoot at. At my age due to eye sight I've lost some but still do OK at short distances. That said I've never shot at someone shooting back. Hope I never have to. I'm sure much is lost by all at that point with respect to accuracy. still the accuracy it important to me but not close to as important as a carrying a gun that always goes bang when the trigger is squeezed. As for confiscation; I'd give up a $10,000 gun that works for each SD I'm involved in. Better that then to have a malfunctioning low priced gun handed back to my widow.
    some good thinking but i may add--

with practice you see where you want the bullet to go and your body; arm and hand position will put the gun on target. you have pulled the trigger thousands of times in practice and in real life--let your mind and body do what you have trained them to. don't confuse yourself with thinking: think gun, have gun in hand and your only conscious thought should be to pull the trigger or not.

and for the cost of the gun--darn right: what you said plus compared to the cost of your defense, a $1500 gun adds a mear 5% to the overall bill.
    another reason to have throw -down money and avoid shooting someone if you can....that will be the most expensive bullet you ever fired.
    but worth evey cent if it saves the life of you and your loved ones.
    bigdog44 likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    Some hammer guns are double strike capable, like the R9, but I never want to test out the need for that. Some hammer guns, like the 1911's have a crisp SA trigger. It doesn't matter much for SD, but there are a lot of strikers out there. My EDC is a 1911, my BUG is a striker. It's what's in your mind and point shooting training that's more important. If you carry a cheap gun, and it doesn't do the job, at least your family won't be fighting over it in probate. Post picts of that new dream gun when you get it, eh?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    My personal preference goes towards hammer fired guns. Of course that is what I learned to shoot with. That being said there are 2 striker fired guns in my safe. My wifes CW9 and my CW45. While I prefer to carry my 1911, since during the week at work my gun is left in the truck, I carry the Kahr instead of the DW.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

High end guns break too. It's super foolish to think that just because you have a more expensive weapon, that it will assure your victory. It could be that by buying that well established , boringly reliable 500$ gun that you could have had an extra $1000 to put down on that casket.

Not going to get into an expensive vs cheap gun arguement here, but most people cannot shoot to the potential of an over the counter product, much less a custom job. Dead is dead no matter how much the damn gun costs.
    INccwchris likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Administrator
    I've never actually needed the multiple FP Strike capability but, both (hammer & striker) are reliable systems in high quality firearms.
    I wouldn't auto-eliminate any firearm as a possible carry choice option just because it was striker fired.
    Though...I think that multiple primer hits are pretty much a non issue these days with high quality SD ammunition.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I've never actually needed the multiple FP Strike capability but, both (hammer & striker) are reliable systems in high quality firearms.
    I wouldn't auto-eliminate any firearm as a possible carry choice option just because it was striker fired.
    Though...I think that multiple primer hits are pretty much a non issue these days with high quality SD ammunition.
    Aside from that, it's more tactically sound to practice tap, rack, bang than to attempt to re-use the same non-firing round.

With the quality of todays better guns, its a matter of choice. I don't own any striker fired handguns.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Personally, I eliminated a hammer type of firing handgun for SD, due to the fact that I believe it is easier for something to obstruct the hammer, and the gun could potentially misfire. Although this may be a million to one chance, I still went with the striker fired gun.

I agree with you. Hammer only for me.

I've yet to see a striker fired pistol that appealed to me. The vast majority of striker fired guns I've shot had lousy triggers.

If you want a second opinion on the striker fired guns - they were ugly and overpriced too! Regards 18DAI.

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    Aside from that, it's more tactically sound to practice tap, rack, bang than to attempt to re-use the same non-firing round.
    I've never understood the desire for 2nd strike capability either. If the round didn't fire the first time, what the hell makes you think it's gonna work the second? Eject that sucker and keep rocking.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    "If you wish for peace, prepare for war"

You can strike it again, while in motion to TRB.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links