The "ONE" - Sig P220 SAO

This is a discussion on The "ONE" - Sig P220 SAO within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The SIG 220 Compact Elite SAO is my favorite 45 ACP ever! I've had fullsize 220s and 1911s by Kimber, Colt and Springfield...none of 'em ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The "ONE" - Sig P220 SAO

The SIG 220 Compact Elite SAO is my favorite 45 ACP ever! I've had fullsize 220s and 1911s by Kimber, Colt and Springfield...none of 'em compare to this gun for shootability, accuracy and reliability. I love it! Use it wi both 6 and 8 round mags. Dennis
    Colt Commander 45ACP, SIG 1911 Ultra 45ACP, SIG 220 Compact Elite 45ACP

2. Remove Ads

Love mine and love to clean it compared to my 1911's

Just finished shooting three pistols, today.
    Love shooting the 1911's and hate cleaning them.
    Also, for the money you cannot beat the Sig P220SAO.
    Here it my favorite for EDC:

I was looking for the same thing when I got my HK45c. Fondled the p220 and p229. The triggers feel same in SA soft kinda mushy. With that said I shot a p229 in .40 and was the best .40 I ever shot, recoil was rediculously soft and accuracy was outstanding even rapid fire. Any who loves a 1911 probably would love a P220. I made sure to put it down quickly it was begging me to come home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know I'm resurrecting a long dead thread but doing a little research. I have a P220 Compact and am looking for new grips. I think I finally found a source for factory aluminum grips to replace the factory plastics. Are the factory aluminums thinner than the factory plastic?

The "ONE"

Another "Late Poster" on this topic:

Having carried daily for over 50 years and been active with military, civilian and federal agencies and, since retirement, as the resident gunsmith for a local shop in a large metroplex area, I think I am fairly qualified to offer an opinion on the SIG P220-SAO. It IS, by far, the BEST .45ACP platform available. Granted, with my old thumbs, thumb safeties are now a little more of a challenge, so my EDC is a SIG DAK of some model (239/229 -9mm/.357 SIG/.40S&W) or (gasp) a mid-sized frame Glock). But, for my 2 cents worth -

1) One of the primary reasons I think the SIG P220/SAO gets MY nod over the standard 1911, is one feature I have NOT seen mentioned. The slide can be manipulated with the thumb safety ON!!! This gives the P220-SAO an edge in safety when clearing or charging the pistol. Most UD (unintentional discharges) occur while clearing or charging a firearm. Evidence the top of ANY clearing barrel/tube on a military base where weapons MUST be cleared before entering, there are all kinds of holes in the cover, and that's when FOLKS ARE SUPPOSEDLY BEING CAREFUL!!!

2) For some reason, everyone wants to comment on the trigger, pull weight, length, over travel, reset, etc, etc. Having had a "serious social discussion or three", here is a VERY important FACT, IF you are worried about those trigger related items, you are at the range and NOT IN A GUN FIGHT!!!

3) One commenter (among all the many I read so I don't remember which topic or where) mentioned the P220-SAO as having a de-cocker. It DOES NOT!!! Not at least as it comes from the factory. Some one asked if a DA/SA could be converted to SAO, but that is not possible since the frame cuts to accommodate the thumb safety lever(s) are not there. And it would be VERY expensive (even if possible) to have the frame modified.

4) Bottom line, the SIG P220 SAO is, in MY opinion, is THE premier SAO platform available. Unfortunately, it just isn't in as wide use as it could/should be! If "open carry" were an option available in my state, I would be "strapped" with mine on a daily basis, but at my age and physical condition, I am opting for the smaller, lighter options from SIG (and some other premier makers since I am an "equal opportunity type).

Had my P220R Carry SAO out this past weekend - it is my favorite .45ACP flavored hardware. Just wish I could fine some Elite Rosewood grips to put on this sucker!!

Slow scopes, fast cars.
    'Chance favors the prepared mind' - Louis Pasteur

I have some Nill Grips that are in the $150+ range and they are perfect. Better than the SIG OEM Elite grips which I find to be more on the "slippery" side. Make sure you get the ones for SAO! FYI, I have replaced those SIG OEM "wood" grips on my Custom Shop SIG P229 DAKs with the new E2 kit which fit MUCH better in size and texture. Had to sandpaper the stippling a little since it was a bit MORE aggressive than needed and kept grabbing my cover garment sort of like velcro and left the pistol exposed!

SIG P220 ARE GREAT GUNS!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFED View Post
    Another "Late Poster" on this topic:

Having carried daily for over 50 years and been active with military, civilian and federal agencies and, since retirement, as the resident gunsmith for a local shop in a large metroplex area, I think I am fairly qualified to offer an opinion on the SIG P220-SAO. It IS, by far, the BEST .45ACP platform available. Granted, with my old thumbs, thumb safeties are now a little more of a challenge, so my EDC is a SIG DAK of some model (239/229 -9mm/.357 SIG/.40S&W) or (gasp) a mid-sized frame Glock). But, for my 2 cents worth -

1) One of the primary reasons I think the SIG P220/SAO gets MY nod over the standard 1911, is one feature I have NOT seen mentioned. The slide can be manipulated with the thumb safety ON!!! This gives the P220-SAO an edge in safety when clearing or charging the pistol. Most UD (unintentional discharges) occur while clearing or charging a firearm. Evidence the top of ANY clearing barrel/tube on a military base where weapons MUST be cleared before entering, there are all kinds of holes in the cover, and that's when FOLKS ARE SUPPOSEDLY BEING CAREFUL!!!

2) For some reason, everyone wants to comment on the trigger, pull weight, length, over travel, reset, etc, etc. Having had a "serious social discussion or three", here is a VERY important FACT, IF you are worried about those trigger related items, you are at the range and NOT IN A GUN FIGHT!!!

3) One commenter (among all the many I read so I don't remember which topic or where) mentioned the P220-SAO as having a de-cocker. It DOES NOT!!! Not at least as it comes from the factory. Some one asked if a DA/SA could be converted to SAO, but that is not possible since the frame cuts to accommodate the thumb safety lever(s) are not there. And it would be VERY expensive (even if possible) to have the frame modified.

4) Bottom line, the SIG P220 SAO is, in MY opinion, is THE premier SAO platform available. Unfortunately, it just isn't in as wide use as it could/should be! If "open carry" were an option available in my state, I would be "strapped" with mine on a daily basis, but at my age and physical condition, I am opting for the smaller, lighter options from SIG (and some other premier makers since I am an "equal opportunity type).
    Your first point regarding the safety and manipulating the slide way an unexpected surprise when I first picked it up. It is actually ANNOYING now to have to off-safe my 1911's and CZ's to work the slide. Oh well...

Your second point is one that I have used on many occasions. While I have never had to use a handgun in a "serious social discussion", I have done a fair amount of training and can honestly say that I have never even noticed any of those esoteric trigger characteristics while in the middle of an exercise.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    swmp9jrm,

You could also look at the Hogue G-10 offerings. They may not be as "pretty" as some might like but, they are incredibly nice in the hand.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by BigFED View Post
    I have some Nill Grips that are in the $150+ range and they are perfect.
    I've been tempted to get a set of Nill grips, but every time I go to hit that 'BUY' button I gag a little over the price. Just need to man up and go ahead with it. I really do like the way they look.
    Slow scopes, fast cars.
    'Chance favors the prepared mind' - Louis Pasteur

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links