The "ONE" - Sig P220 SAO

The "ONE" - Sig P220 SAO

This is a discussion on The "ONE" - Sig P220 SAO within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I may have found “THE ONE”. I am an unapologetic .45 fan. It is big, slow, and “obsolete”, but I love to shoot it. (The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

The "ONE" - Sig P220 SAO

I may have found “THE ONE”.

I am an unapologetic .45 fan. It is big, slow, and “obsolete”, but I love to shoot it. (The obsolete bit was a joke. Let’s not get our knickers in a twist here.) My problem has been in finding the right platform to use in accelerating that wonderful round to its destiny.

I have tried 1911’s (that should go without saying) both expensive and inexpensive, GLOCK, Ruger, S&W, Sig and I even shot it out of a Hi-Point. I like them all, but then the compromises come in to play. Size, weight, reliability, capacity, functionality, and required maintenance all have to be factored into a carry piece. While I actually prefer full-size pistols, some are just too big to carry. Some are not reliable enough for my comfort. Some are just plain junk. And let us not forget, SA, DA/SA, DAO? The variables we all juggle to find a tool that we like. (I can’t imagine putting this much thought into choosing a screw driver. Then again, I probably won’t be betting my life on a screw driver either. But, I digress.)

I had all but given up on finding the right platform. Oh, I carry a .45 regularly, but I have never been happy with the compromises. Until today, that is.

Enter the Sig P220 SAO.

I have had a P220 DA/SA for more than a year now, and while I am competent with it, I have never liked the DA/SA transition. I know others actually prefer it, but I do not. It has always felt unnatural to me. I am a simple man. I like one trigger pull per gun. I don’t care how heavy (within reason) so long as it is consistent.

My LGS has never had a P220 SAO in stock for me to fondle/play with, and I have been leery to just order one without trying it out first. I recently met an elderly gentleman who had one and, in his words, “Just can’t stand shooting the heavy bugger!” He was willing to let me try it out and we began negotiating the deal. After a few days of back and forth, we came to a price we both liked and I took possession of a like-new P220 three days ago.

Today was my first opportunity to really work with it. The first ten rounds out of it at 21’ were a beautiful 1.5” hole in the center of the target. The next ten, and the next ten after that were boringly alike, but I expected that out of a P220. The real test, for me anyway, was in double taps and multiple targets. All were smooth and easy, some of the best shooting I have done in a long time. And best of all, there was no annoying DA/SA transition. Pure joy!

Ladies and gentlemen, I don’t know what your preferences are (nor do I actually care, because this is about me), but when you find that “ultimate” platform where the compromises don’t outweigh the benefit of the firearm, you will feel it in your bones - just like I have.

Now for the fun stuff.

DSC00139.jpg
    CZ 75B, G19, The ONE, G21, Colt CC, Sig P220(DA/SA), G36

DSC00140.jpg
    Colt CC, Sig P220(DA/SA), The ONE

DSC00141.jpg

DSC00142.jpg

DSC00143.jpg
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Lead Moderator
    I've said it before, the trigger (at least on mine) is one of the best factory triggers I've ever shot!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

If it's going to have a thumb safety - it's got to be ambidextrous. Looks like you've got that covered.

Enjoy!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I am currently thinking about getting a new sig. This post definitely speaks volumes for a pistol that many seem to enjoy.

I got a Birthday in December,better start dropping hints around the house now
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I LOVE the P220. I have cut my teeth on DA autos and have always stuck closely to them as i carry them on duty and my budget has never allowed me to purchase something purely utilitarian. I am coming around to SAO guns and I will have a hard time when i buy deciding between this gun or a 1911. Great pick.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    I've said it before, the trigger (at least on mine) is one of the best factory triggers I've ever shot!
    I had a long discussion about that with a friend who happens to be a 1911 "snob", ie no other gun is a real gun because it doesn't have a 1911 SA trigger, blah, blah, blah......

We agreed to disagree about it and I just kept hitting my mark and shooting faster than him. I smiled.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    If it's going to have a thumb safety - it's got to be ambidextrous. Looks like you've got that covered.

Enjoy!
    Left-handed. Even if I weren't, I demand ambidexterous controls on a fighting gun.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I got a Birthday in December,better start dropping hints around the house now
    I can't think of a better present, even if you have to get it for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I LOVE the P220. I have cut my teeth on DA autos and have always stuck closely to them as i carry them on duty and my budget has never allowed me to purchase something purely utilitarian. I am coming around to SAO guns and I will have a hard time when i buy deciding between this gun or a 1911. Great pick.
    I really enjoy 1911's, but I am not a tinkerer. I don't have the time or inclination to do the constant tuning that a 1911 requires to keep it in top form. Reliability is my number one requirement, and I just haven't had that out of any 1911 that I can realistically afford. My experience with Sig has been flawless in just under 1300 rounds through the P220(DA/SA), and I expect the same out of the SAO.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I am currently thinking about getting a new sig. This post definitely speaks volumes for a pistol that many seem to enjoy.
    The P220 isn't for everyone. It is big, heavy, and you have to work to conceal it. If you are alright with that, it is a fantastic platform.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I just had my 220 out yesterday. Generally I am a 1911 guy, but looking through the safe selecting what to take as I took my dad to the range, I thought "I haven't shot that in a while, I should take it out." So it got put into the gun case.

And once I started shooting it I remembered how much fun it is to shoot. Mine is a DA/SA police trade in model, but it performed marvelously, giving me a good group right in the COM area of my target.

It does feel bulkier to me to carry than a 1911. My 220 holster is a High Noon Skin Guard, which I also have for 1911's, and the 1911 is just more concealable with it, mostly because of width. But, I think it is going to be seeing some HD duty, as the night sights on it still glow just fine. A SAO version is on my list, someday I will get one.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

well I do love mine!!

I love my P-220, but you are right. It is big, heavy, and a lot of work to conceal especially in the summer. I usually carry the P-232 when the weather is warmer.

I absolutely loved the P220 Carry SAO I owned since 2007, but, alas, when the opportunity suddenly arose to add a near-mint condition Winchester Garand (all Winnie except for 3/50 dated Springfield Armory barrel) to my collection, the P220 sadly had to go. The straw that broke the proverbial camel's back was the fact that the 220 Carry was almost as long as my Glock 21, taller and heavier than the 21, and carried 5 fewer rounds. Someday, though, I'll own another P220 SAO - this time the Super Match version, which is GORGEOUS!
    BigRay in Iowa

Love my P220 SAO

I've had my 2010 Sig P220 Carry Elite SAO for about 6 weeks now and absolutely love it. Here's a photo:

SIG_P220R_ELITE_CARRY_SAO.jpg
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    NH....a Defender and a sig in 45. 2 great choices.

the 220 i have played with was a da/sa (tested 8 pounds slipping to 6)
    DA was smooth and felt light as did the SA. actually hard to put a pull weight on it cause it was so smooth
    with no grit or stacking. you can feel the break point and the reset point also. it was short and had a positive feel.

but your talking about the DAO. other than to say: Sigs rule! and g'nite Gracie.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I've always preferred traditional 1911s over DAO and DA/SA, but when I shot my first SIG P220 Carry SAO I was extremely impressed. The factory trigger isn't bad at all compared with 1911s in the same price class and they're all ambidextrous. In addition the SAO design allows the operator to cycle the pistol with the safeties engaged, permitting safer loading, unloading and chamber checks. Finally, I believe the basic SIG "P" series feeds expanding ammunition (JHPs) far more reliably than most "pure" Browning designs and handles recoil well.

One other thing I'd want to note to those who aren't already SIG fans: The P220 SAO series is available in four sizes. There's five inch "target" models, the "standard" 4.5" P220, the "compact" 3.9" P220 Carry models (with a full sized grip) and the 3.9" P220 Compact SAO (with an abbreviated grip, housing a six round magazine). I'm really pleased with my P220 Compact SAO, but disappointed to see these aren't currently listed on the SIG website. For those interested in obtaining one, I believe CDNN still has a few available.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NHDefender45 View Post
    I've had my 2010 Sig P220 Carry Elite SAO for about 6 weeks now and absolutely love it. Here's a photo:

SIG_P220R_ELITE_CARRY_SAO.jpg
    Great looking 220! I hope you enjoy it!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links