LC9 mistake?

LC9 mistake?

This is a discussion on LC9 mistake? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I passed on a sale on a new lc9 for $300 because I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I know that's a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: LC9 mistake?

LC9 mistake?

I passed on a sale on a new lc9 for $300 because I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I know that's a great price, it might have been a mistake, but I think I should find one to rent before I buy. I did with my M&P9c, and I'm very pleased.

Possible choices for different uses include:
    G26
    sp101
    Kahr CW9
    Ruger LC9

I've shot the 26 and the sp101 really well, loved them both. But for summer carry, I'm considering the CW9 and LC9, and I haven't been able to find any to rent.

Has anyone ever passed on a great deal because you haven't had a chance to shoot it?

Not sure if this is what you are asking but I have bought guns that I got a good deal on without trying them (renting first) and on both occasions I got burned. Always shoot the gun you are interested in.

Greetings Monte,

JMO - $300 is a great price for an LC9, and I'm a big fan of Rugers (have several), but CW9's are going for under $400, and it's a whole 'nother class of pistol. The PM9 or CM9 are closer to the LC9 size-wise than the CW, but they're pricier. CM9's are running about $450 and the PM is typically $600+. The LC9 is a good pistol, but I believe my CM9 was well worth the difference in price. The CM's also seem to be coming down a bit - I'm seeing them online for close to $400, but I think you'll find most everyone who's advertising them is out of stock. FWIW

Regards,
    Jim

VIP Member
    It all depends on how much room you have in the safe. If it's a brand new gun, and it's been around for awhile, and you have the money, and its specs fill a nich for you, and your friends here have given it good posts, then it might be OK. I try to keep no more than ten guns at a time on my wish list.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    I have bought many guns without shooting them first and have never had a problem, just give them a through looking over first and do check on returns. I once picked up a SA compact for a ridiculously low price due to a horrendous trigger pull (12+ pounds), but that was cheaply corrected by the local gunsmith.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Aiko--that's what my gut was telling me. My hands are fairly large, but I could get 3 fingers on the LC9, I just was afraid it might be harder to grab and draw, etc.

Kilowatt3--actually, the LC9 and CW9 are almost identical in size when you look at the dimensions. You might be thinking of the LCP, that is more in line with the PM9 and CM9 (in size).

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by monte View Post
    ...Kilowatt3--actually, the LC9 and CW9 are almost identical in size when you look at the dimensions. You might be thinking of the LCP, that is more in line with the PM9 and CM9 (in size).
    Yep - You're right. Dunno why, but I was confusing the LC9 (dimensionally) with the KT PF-9. Oh well, it's late & I'm brain-dead.

Anyway, since the LC9 vs. CW9 is pretty much a straight-up comparison (size-wise), all the more reason to go with the Kahr (IMO). Again, nothing against the Ruger - I just think the Kahr's worth a few bucks more.

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    ...I try to keep no more than ten guns at a time on my wish list.
    Wish I could pare my wish list down to under ten - preferably by buying the guns off it!

Regards,
    Jim
    younggun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by monte View Post
    Has anyone ever passed on a great deal because you haven't had a chance to shoot it?
    Many times, and was always glad I did. Many times, even found a better deal later.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

eb
    I bought a new LC9 a while back because it was a "good deal". $339 brand new. I brought it to the range twice and hated it, then traded it in about a week and a half ago. I was given $275 for it so I only lost about $75 total if you factor in taxes, etc. Could have been worse, but shame on me for the impulse buy.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    The trigger for the Kahr is vastly superior to the LC9. I tried the LC9 and did not like the trigger, which has a long hard pull and it makes it hard to be accurate unless you shoot two-handed. Most SD situations will be one handed, so it's a deal breaker for me.

I've bought many guns without trying them first...especially if I got a good enough deal I figure I could easily get my money back out of it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I been waffling on an LC9 since April. Every time I pick one up I think I should purchase. Then, I read the threads and decide to wait. I've rented a Kahr P9 at a range in Charlotte. I had several failure (feed and eject). Admittedly, the pistol had been abused. They did not have a CW9. My LGS has both. The LC9 is $399 and the Kahr is $469. PA has a 6% sales tax. Every Kahr that I've handled feels like it was made for my hand.

Since I've not shot either, I'm still waiting.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

VIP Member
    While I like Ruger revolvers, I'm not a fan of their semi's. I bought a LC9 without having shot one. It was a mistake in my opinion. The trigger pull on it is extremely long, my wife can't even get it to break it is so long. Replaced it with a CW9 and naven't regreted it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

My g/f can shoot my LC9, but she doesn't like it. She'd rather shoot the 1911. I'm a new shooter so single action or double I could care less as long as something is going bang. I bought Ultra Carry and my LC9 having never shot either one. I did it again yesterday as well. Bought a Mosin Nagant 91/30 without ever shooting ANY rifle before....ever...haha. Young and fearless

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links