Kel-Tec PF9 First 250 rounds fired with 3 loads chronographed

Kel-Tec PF9 First 250 rounds fired with 3 loads chronographed

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec PF9 First 250 rounds fired with 3 loads chronographed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I shot my new PF9 for the first time today. In all, I fired 250 rounds of ammo. Prior to shooting, I cleaned the pistol. ...

Thread: Kel-Tec PF9 First 250 rounds fired with 3 loads chronographed

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar

Post Kel-Tec PF9 First 250 rounds fired with 3 loads chronographed

I shot my new PF9 for the first time today.
    In all, I fired 250 rounds of ammo.
    Prior to shooting, I cleaned the pistol.
    I initally shot 50 rounds of Winchester "white box" 115 gr. FMJ without problem.
    Then, I shot about 30 Winchester Silvertips, no problem.
    Next up was some "old" Federal 124 gr. Hydra-Shok, I had a fail to feed within a few rounds; the 2nd to last round in magazine went nose up in the chamber.
    The malfunction happened with a magazine that seemed to have less spring resistance than the other magazine I had.
    At this point I cleaned the pistol, but that wasn't all, I deemed insufficient spring tension as a possible cause of the FTF and took action, with a Dremel tool.

I had a new magazine spring for a Kahr PM9 that I just knew would offer more tension than the offending spring, but it wouldn't fit in the follower.
    Knowing that I might screw up the magazine I went ahead and removed material from the follower, checking & removing until that spring finally fit.

I don't recommend this operation , as by the time it would fit in the magazine body there was a small hole in the side of the follower.

I took my Frankestein magazine and clean PF9 back to the target for another go.
    Guess what. The other magazine, the "good" one, had the same FTF with the "old" Hydra-Shok ammo, again 2nd to last round in magazine.
    Dang it.
    I proceed to shoot another 50 rounds of Silvertip, using BOTH magazines, without a problem.
    I shot 80 rounds of some "new" Hydra-Shok without a problem, both magazines were used.
    In all 250 rounds were fired and the only two FTF (fail to feed) were when shooting the 40 rounds of the "old" Hydra-Shoks.

jam.JPG

Old vs New Hydra-Shoks

bullet2.JPG

Chrono results, average for 5 shots:
    Winchester 115 gr. Silvertip @ 1,051 fps / 282# KE
    Federal 124 gr. HS (new) @ 1,013 fps / 282# KE
    Winchester 115 gr. FMJ @ 1,076 fps / 295# KE

The PF9 fits into a Desantis or Galco (PRO 460) made for the Kahr PM9/MK9 size pistol and fits well in the front pocket of my cargo shorts.
    I did not shoot any +P ammo and don't intend to, the PF9 has enough kick for me with standard ammunition.
    I'll get another magazine and regulate my Frankenstein for practice.
    I intend to shoot a few more rounds of HP in the next couple of days, but I'm fairly comfortable with the Silvertips right now.
    I don't intend to try any Speer ammunition, because in my experience Speer primers are hard and the primer hits were sufficient but not impressive on the Winchester and Federal ammunition.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Hope it was just the old ammo that was the issue.

Don't you wish you had tired the new stuff before playing Mr. Fix it on the mag.

So far I am happy with the PF 9 we picked up a few weeks ago for the wife. I haven't had time to chrono the Speer GDHP 115 gr out of it yet. Next time we head to the range I plan on doing it. We did have one light primer strike on our first outing with the Speer, but it fired when we ran it back through, so I don't know if it was a fluke or something that will make me consider switching ammo because of. We will just have to wait and see.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Hope it was just the old ammo that was the issue.

Don't you wish you had tired the new stuff before playing Mr. Fix it on the mag.

So far I am happy with the PF 9 we picked up a few weeks ago for the wife. I haven't had time to chrono the Speer GDHP 115 gr out of it yet. Next time we head to the range I plan on doing it. We did have one light primer strike on our first outing with the Speer, but it fired when we ran it back through, so I don't know if it was a fluke or something that will make me consider switching ammo because of. We will just have to wait and see.
    I can replace the magazine follower fairly cheap and get a new factory spring, no biggie; I knew it could get screwed up when I started.
    Strangely, the magazine that I doctored and changed the spring worked without fail after the modifications.

I removed and cleaned the firing pin. Rechecked primer strikes. Federal primers show more indention than Winchester. I'm now satisfied with the strike I see on Federal.
    I'm being picky since all rounds fired on the first strike, but I do prefer a more positive looking strike and the Federal primer shows it.

I saw somewhere online where someone ranked the hardness of primers and it basically matches my opinion.
    Hardest to softest: CCI/Speer, Winchester, Remington, Federal

Edit: here is a picture of what difference I'm seeing

primersS.jpg
    Last edited by CDW4ME; June 20th, 2011 at 03:32 PM. Reason: add picture
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Links