Can't decide between these two snubbies for pocket carry

This is a discussion on Can't decide between these two snubbies for pocket carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey, new here, first post. I have my mind made on a snub nose for pocket carry and have narrowed it down to these two ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Can't decide between these two snubbies for pocket carry

Hey, new here, first post. I have my mind made on a snub nose for pocket carry and have narrowed it down to these two choices. Taurus 851 ultralite and S&W 638. The S&w is $60 more from what I've found. I would choose the smaller of the two but what is driving me crazy is I can't find complete dimensions specs for the s&w anywhere. the s&w is an ounce lighter and a tad shorter than the taurus because the taurus has a slightly longer barrel. Does anyone know the height and width on the s&w? Thanks for any help.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Link below is the most help I can offer...
    Product: Model 638

p.s. I buy American whenever I can...$.02
    Last edited by Stubborn; June 20th, 2011 at 04:27 PM.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    The Smith and Wesson 638 Airweight Revolver

(1st good goggle link, don't read more than that into it.)
    its a j-frame, more measurements than that are unnecessary.....unless you are weight conscious. than go with a 642

try this link and pay the extra for a Smith.....you will not regret it
    better trigger but let me appeal to your baser side--

its resale value is way better than than the other. and in 5 to 8 years it will be worth what you paid....the other; not even half.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Administrator
    "The S&w is $60 more from what I've found."

The S&W will hold its resale value much better which will make up for the additional $$ that you'll pay up front. Just FYI
    enk5 likes this.

S&W =)
    CCW- Smith & Wesson M&P 9mmC
    HD- EAA Witness P .45acp
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.
    Thomas Jefferson

In my personal experiences I am going to tell you to run away as fast as you can from the Taurus. Between the two the smith is the only choice. Give the LCR a look as well. I can't say enough good things about the .357 model.

I will preface my comment with the fact that I own and carry a Taurus revolver.
    Go with the Smith & Wesson. You will soon forget about the price difference and be glad you went with the better gun.
    You have about a 50/50 chance of getting a good gun from Taurus. If you don’t, the customer service will drive you nuts. (over 9 weeks and 20 phone calls, 6 faxes getting mine fixed).

My story is that when I shopped for a lightweight, shrouded snubby, the gun with with the best trigger in the store that day was a Taurus 851. Cost was not a consideration. The gun has had a couple of thousand rounds through it and it's run with out a hiccup. It is a frequent carry companion.

However - that was 8 years ago. I've had good experience with Taurus customer service (on a different gun), but that doesn't seem to be the universal experience these days. I compare with that with a friend who has had his scandium snub back to S&W three times and it's still not fixed. When that gun disassembled itself in a de Bethencourt course, my older (all-steel) Taurus 85 was the spare gun he relied upon.

The S+W will clearly have a greater value down the road, a Taurus will never have the heirloom quality that a Smith will. But don't discount it out of hand, just because it's a Taurus.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

S&W hands down.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

i have the taurus 851 (obviously) and its been flawless so far. I also paid $269.00 brand new for it which is why i chose it over the S&W. look for the 851 at jetguns (online retailer)....thats where i got mine and it came with free shipping.

as far as performance goes, people can knock taurus all they want but mine has performed flawlessly with a couple hundred rounds through it

If I ever get another snubby, it will be the Ruger LCR. The Hogue Tamer grip with the gel in the backstrap makes the LCR shoot a lot softer than other pocket revolvers. The LCR has an awesome trigger right out of the box, too.

I have a S&W 637 with a set of laser grips on it. I got a great deal on the gun from CDNN and a four payment plan on the grips from The Sportsmans Guide. It is by far my easiest and most favorite gun to carry. I think the Smith is your best option just the ease of finding holsters and accessories.

I have a Taurus 85 and a 642...not the ones you are asking about, but, although I have no complaints about the Taurus, I would recommend the Smith, in whichever configuration. They definately hold their value better and it is a much lighter carry gun. Both shoot well for a snubbie, but the Smith rides with me, while the Taurus is the house gun. For what it's worth
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Smith!

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    My experence with Taurus has not been good at all. If it were me, I would go with the S&W and a 642 at that. The finish of the 442 will wear off as time goes by from holster wear but is still a pretty good looking snubbie with some nice wood grips. (I chose Rosewood).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links