changed my mind on 357

This is a discussion on changed my mind on 357 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been wanting to get my hands on a ruger sp101 3in for over a year now, but i just went to the local ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: changed my mind on 357

changed my mind on 357

I have been wanting to get my hands on a ruger sp101 3in for over a year now, but i just went to the local gun show and held a s&w 686 4in barrel and loved it. now I cant make up my mind. I know the 101 in 3 inch would be just about as big of a gun that iI would carry but still could, and if I went with the 4in. s&w then it would only be a range and home defence gun. i already carry a s&w mp fullsize no problem just wanted another gun. so im thinking hard but cant make up my mind, both are great guns the smith is 2-3 hundred $'s more but i could get it in the 7 round model but then I will not be able to conceal carry, the ruger from what I have read is built stronger and if I work on the triger I can make it just as smoth as the smith or even smoother. what would you pick and why?

2. Remove Ads

It sounds as if you have answered it already..if you want a carry gun...the Ruger, if you want a range gun, the Smith. The good part is that whichever you choose, they are both great guns. As for the extra inch, a good holster will take care of that with not much problem.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    wow---randomly....
    3" for carry , yes; 4 is a bit much in a revolver
    S&W for range & home defense is matching the item to the needs very well
    but a 3" is not bad either at home though perhaps not so much fun at the range
    I'm shy about messing with anything to do with a SD gun. or have it done by a pro and even than it may
    cost ua in court. not so much the verdict, just the cost to get it.
    the Smith is more cause (in this case) its a better made gun in the trigger/action arena.
    both are = in reliability

have you shot both?
    and which likes you better??

also--unless you re-load likely you will be shooting mostly 38's
    id be concerned which gun handles accuracy better with them.
    357's even home grown cost 30 cents each as to 38's ( and 38+p) at 12 cents each
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

If you like the 686+ don't rule out the one with the 2.5" barrel using a Hogue bantam grip for carry. Not a light weight gun for sure but entirely possible to conceal and comforting to have at your side.
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    If you already have range and house guns, there's nothing better to throw in the pocket for a quick trip than the SP-101. They're not all that bad to shoot, either, even w/o trigger work.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    If you already have range and house guns, there's nothing better to throw in the pocket for a quick trip than the SP-101. They're not all that bad to shoot, either, even w/o trigger work.
    Errrr...isn't the SP101 a bit heavy for pocket carry?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

For carry, the 3" SP101 would be my choice. It is a great revolver.

You want to carry it concealed? This one. Nuff said.

Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I would go with the ruger. I am a die hard Smith guy but the SP-101 has my heart, I own two Smiths and have owned two others I sold to finance other projects. I also own a Security Six, and it is more rugged, more solid, and a bit easier on my hip than my full size smith. Granted my big smith is an N frame, but still. I should say go with a smith, but seeing as how I have been lusting and drooling over an SP-101 for months now I think that would be the better buy.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

For me, it would be the Ruger SP 101 but you can't go wrong with a S&W revolver either. The Ruger SP101 is built like a tank, yes the trigger might not be as good as the S&W but that can be fixed. The key to me is the .357 mag I feel like it is the best carry round you can have. I carry a .357 revolver and prefer it over a auto, I know 99.9% of the time when the trigger is pulled it will go bang.

I chose the SP101 in 3 inch with a Hogue monogrip. It conceals well in a Fist #9 or a Supertuck.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I have a 2" SP101 and a 4" Police Service Six. The SP101 is more versatile and gets used much more often for me. The 3" version would be ideal for just about any use.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Well, FWIW, wearing my 3.06" SP101 in a Milt Sparks PMK, aT 0300-0330, and a second SP101, with a 2.25" barrel, in a Kramer pocket holster, I can fall asleep in this recliner, and wake up hours later, with no discomfort. I can certainly carry a 4" sixgun comfortably, in a concealable rig, up to and including N-frame in size, but I will not want to wear it while sitting in a recliner for very long; normal chair, OK, but not this recliner.

I love both the SP101, and medium/large-framed .357 sixguns, but they are different guns for different roles. I want to have both types. It is not an either/or thing, for me. The SP101 can be an always-everywhere gun, and the medium/large sixgun is for long range sessions, and for when trouble is anticipated, or I just want to be prepared for a wider range of scenarios.
    Last edited by Rexster; June 20th, 2011 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Typo

SP 101 3" - absolutely love mine. I can shoot five shot groups inside of a quarter @ 10 yrds (admittedly, this is shooting SA) - I don't have that type of accuracy with any of my other carry semi-autos. It is managable with DA shooting .357 mag too (though I wouldn't want to shoot them all day like I would in a S&W 686 or Ruger Gp100.) Either way, they are both excellent firearms - The SP 101 melts away in an IWB holster & is quite comfy to carry + it is a real reasonable price for such a fine revolver. Enjoy!
    "War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner."
    Cormac McCarthy

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    If you like the 686+ don't rule out the one with the 2.5" barrel using a Hogue bantam grip for carry. Not a light weight gun for sure but entirely possible to conceal and comforting to have at your side.
    Now that is a kick a$$ 686 !

photo.jpg But I digress.......
    click image to enlarge......
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links