Defensive Carry banner

Recoil Spring Wrong Direction on Makarov?

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  JohnLeVick 
#1 ·
Just recently bought my first Bulgarian Makarov, I typically carry a Sig P250 but wanted something a little slimmer for the summer months.

Anyway, this is the first fixed barrel, blowback design pistol I've owned. I disassembled and cleaned it immediately after I bought it, then took it to the range. I've never had a pistol that had a recoil spring with a smaller diameter on one end, so when I was putting it back on I figured that was the wrong way and put it with the larger end on first...I just recently read that this was incorrect and I'm very concerned that I may have somehow damaged the pistol by firing it this way. I put 200 rounds of Silverbear through it. I have since replaced the factory spring for a 19# wolff spring but have not yet had a chance to shoot it since...I don't see any visible signs of damage on the inside of the slide or frame and did not have any failures or issues when firing.

Should I be concerned?

#2 ·
I am not very familiar with makarovs, that being said unless you see any cracks or other damage you should be fine. Having it in the wrong way may make it more likely to bind up when cycled or if one end is open it could scratch up your finish a bit but the weight of the spring is still the same so I wouldn't worry about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.