Another Hi Power Thread

This is a discussion on Another Hi Power Thread within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another forum which I frequent has several lovers of Hi Powers on it, and they managed to get me on a Hi Power rotation for ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnLeVick
  • 1 Post By Old School

Thread: Another Hi Power Thread

Another Hi Power Thread

Another forum which I frequent has several lovers of Hi Powers on it, and they managed to get me on a Hi Power rotation for today's carry. I thought there might be some BHP aficionados here. This is one of my MkIII guns, with mods by Wilson and yours truly. I don't recall exactly when, but Bill Wilson's shop used to do a nice beavertail addition on BHPs. I got this one done just before they quit doing them, in the early 90s, I think. I installed the C&S trigger and hammer, did a trigger job (about 5 lbs.), lightly beveled the mag well opening, stippled the frontstrap, triggerguard and backstrap, stuck on a tritium front sight, and put in a Wolff 18.5 lb. recoil spring. The "black parkerizing" is by Texas Armament Company in Brownwood. Grips are by Navidrex. The holster is a Brommeland Max-Con V.

bmcgilvray likes this.

2. Remove Ads

That is a beautiful weapon.

Thanks, AZ! It carries and shoots just like it looks, too!

Cool

Sweet Hi-Power you have there sir. That beavertail is outragious.

Mine sees a little time in the EDC rotation but now that I am retired and not bound to follow departmental policy for off duty carry I think I will slip it in a bit more.

I just got a Garitty Changling holster so no reason not to start carrying the P-35 more.

photo.jpg
    1964 T series with C&S strong side safety and Heinie Lo Pro sights. Hogue Coco Bolo grips and Federal 9BP carry load for flawless function.
    click to enlarge.....

P.S. Steve Camp is going to be missed not just by Hi-Power folks but by the firearms community at large.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Great looking BHP! Thank you for posting the photo.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Love the beavertail. I bobbed the hammer spur on mine because it bit.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Like the beavertail. That looks like a fighting handgun. very nice. i will step into the Hi-power market some day. Thanks for the pictures.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    About a year ago I had the itch for a Hi Power. I looked at many but didn't like the fit and finish of the current Mk. III production models. The ambi safety also wasn't to my liking. I was then fortunate enough to come upon a vintage piece at a gun show in like new condition. Based on it's serial number it had been manufactured in '69. It still had it's original Browning leather zippered carrying case and factory manual. It's a safe queen and the only thing I did to it was add a set of smooth Cocobolo grips from Herretts. Of course I kept the originals.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Nice gun, and a timely post for me, my wife is looking for another gun. I think I will sugest a Hi Power

It looks comfy-cozy, all business, and deadly practical to me, John. I'm a Hi-Power lover and think it is the very best way to do 9mm of all. What is your favorite flavor of ammunition for concealed carry with the 9mm? Do you use the same ammo in all your concealed carry 9mms?

I don't take 9mm along often and have been using some now-ancient Winchester 147 grain Black Talons for years. The 124 grain Gold Dots look appealing but never remember to grab some when I'm at the ammo-sellin' place.

This one has appeared here on the Forum before. It's an older Hi-Power but sure shoots well. My wife was incensed however that she had to use it for her last concealed carry qualification rather than the 1911 .45 that she calls her favorite. The .45 was in for front sight replacement.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Wow, You guys are making me miss my Hi Power. BTW you guys have some nice Hi Powers
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Glad folks are enjoying the thread. After I had Wilson do my beavertail, C&S came out with a relieved hammer that pretty much eliminates hammer bite for me. I've cut down both spurred, stock BHP hammers and an earlier C&S rowel hammer to get the same effect, but the new C&S design is nicer looking. I'm one of those fortunate shooters who is both "stabbed" by the spur on spurred hammers, and pinched between the hammer and frame by both types of hammer. The FN/Browning rowel hammers are the very worst; one shot with one of those, and I'm bleeding. (Bryan, while your FN is beautiful, I nearly bleed, just looking at it.) The C&S relieved, rowel hammer has both a much smaller rowel and a shank that is relieved on the back, such that a space is left between hammer and frame when the hammer is fully rearward in recoil. I like the beavertail the best, but cheaper alternatives are available now.

As to carry ammo in 9x19, I do not carry the same ammo all the time, but all the loads I carry are ones with which I am comfortable. In Glocks, it is usually WW RA9TA, the 127gr. +P+ load. In BHPs and several others, I usually either carry +P 124gr. Gold Dots or Cor-Bon 115gr. +P. which runs 1425fps. from the HP pictured above. I also like Federal 9BPLE 115gr. +P. I load the standard pressure 124gr. Gold Dot in my Kel-Tec PF9s, but sometimes standard pressure Federal 9BP 115s.
    Last edited by JohnLeVick; June 23rd, 2011 at 12:34 PM.

Neat beavertail on your gun there. Very interesting.
    I carry both 9mm and 40 BHP in the same holster you show. What a great carry combo!

Links