Glock plastic sights

This is a discussion on Glock plastic sights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For all of it's attributes that make the Glock pistol almost invincible, the one weakness often mentioned by gun scribes and critics are the standard ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Taurus851

Thread: Glock plastic sights

Glock plastic sights

For all of it's attributes that make the Glock pistol almost invincible, the one weakness often mentioned by gun scribes and critics are the standard factory polymer sights.

One time on our combat qualification course which is 3-25 yards, my front sight came off. It was an after market MMC product that had not been properly installed. I finished the course with a passing score by using the squared back of the slide as a reference.

But I have never , ever had an issue with polymer sights as installed from the factory. And I have abused the hell out of some of my Glocks.

Is there anyone here that has ever had any personal, or witnessed breakage of the factory sights? Or can we chalk this up as more inet rumor that is unfounded?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

NOPE,not rumor,Ishoot IDPA with a gen3 17,and have lost two front sights,i now use a gen4 front sight,which is held on by a small bolt,similar to night sights,and have'nt had any trouble in about the last 20-30 matches.

Cool

Never had a problem with the factory night sights and thats a total of 11 years and three different Glocks in SS-III holsters and rough uniform duty carry.

I have changed two of my EDC Glocks from factory to Big Dot the "I" sights and no problems there either.

photo.jpg Big Dot the "I" sights on G-23.
    click to enlarge....
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

my dad bought a compensated barrel from a guy who didn't know what the "compensated" line of glocks was for, and assured my dad that he talked to glock and they said there would be no issue using a compensated barrel in a non-compensated gun.

so after shooting 5 mags out his glock 32, my dad swaps in the compensated .40 S&W barrel and on the very first shot it blows off the factory front sight
    zeppelin03 likes this.

None of my four Glocks have the original plastic sights, and most experienced shooters I know install different sights on their Glocks. Of particular importance to me is a rear sight with a wider notch that allows for more daylight on both sides of the front sight. This allows a more rapid sight picture.

I purchased my first Glock (Gen 4 19) June 1st at a store that only sells to LEO and military. It came with the Glock night sights. I've shot other Glocks that had the stock sights and I prefer the night sights. Just my $0.02.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

All of my pistols (except for my Hammerli) were either purchased with night sights or I immediately installed them myself, so all I can say is that I've never had problems with either TruDot (Meprolight) or Trijicon sights. And yes, I long ago realized the wisdom of plunking down the coin for a good "universal" sight pusher. Spendy, yes, but it's paid for itself several times over.
    BigRay in Iowa

My factory original plastic Glock front sight fell off.
    After less than 25 rounds.
    While reholstering.
    During a dry fire exercise.
    Replaced with Tru-Glo.
    No more problem.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus851 View Post
    my dad bought a compensated barrel from a guy who didn't know what the "compensated" line of glocks was for, and assured my dad that he talked to glock and they said there would be no issue using a compensated barrel in a non-compensated gun.

so after shooting 5 mags out his glock 32, my dad swaps in the compensated .40 S&W barrel and on the very first shot it blows off the factory front sight
    Surely you don't blame Glock for that one, do you?

Never had an issue with the factory sights. Haven't abused them either. Even if I did, they're inexpensive ands simple to replace. Screw up some of the fancy expensive jobs and see what it runs yah!
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I lost 2 fronts sights on Glocks - both during USPSA matches. Learned 2 things - don't go into ports with your gun and get good, solid mounted sights. All 11 of my Glocks have after market sights.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Never kept the factory sights on long enough to see if there would be a problem. Both my Glocks sport Mepros.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Links