Anyone else like S&W 4516?

This is a discussion on Anyone else like S&W 4516? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got a 4516-3 that I carry quite often. Some folks think the weight is an issue, but with a good holster and belt, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else like S&W 4516?

Anyone else like S&W 4516?

I've got a 4516-3 that I carry quite often. Some folks think the weight is an issue, but with a good holster and belt, I don't find it a problem. I wanted a reliable, compact 45. The 4516 and the Colt Defender were the only extremely reliable models, based on the opinions from gunboards, and various shooters I know. The gun has a good capacity (7+1) and is very accurate. Anyone like/dislike this model? Regards 18DAI.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    When I was with the local PD here, very few semi autos were approved. The duty weapon of choice was the S&W 4506 so I had a S&W 4516 as a backup. Heck, you could use the 4506 magazines in it in a pinch... seemed perfect to me. Now years later they use all kinds of different handguns.

But that 4516 was one good weapon and great to shoot too! I just wish I had kept it. If I had, it'd be on my permit today!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

couldn't say....I have its bigger brother though, the 1066 in 10mm.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Was issued a 4506 with my first sheriff's office i worked for when i left the Army. I frankly think there a great boat anchor. Thats about the only nice thing I had to say. Prob just me, but I would never intentionally carry a S&W auto for a duty or off duty weapon (well maybe one of their 1911's I might).

Just my opinion.

Steve
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Love my 4513 TSW.

erh

Lightbulb 4516...

18DAI - As far as dependable 'Lil, big guns go, I like them just fine. When off duty in the "Keys..."; I carried a P220 (IWB) all the time and always had a 4516 "Stashed away" inside my First Responder Bag... Just because..! I personnally never did carry it on my person though, that I recall.
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I don't have any of the 45 line, but I am very pleased with my 40 and 59 series pistols.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

VIP Member
    Good firearm, I have a 4516-1. It was the first .45 & semi-auto I ever carried concealed. I went from a S&W 66 (.357) to the 4516. The only thing was, I had a hard time finding holsters in the mid 1990s (I'm a Southpaw) for it. I used a Bianchi shoulder rig at the time.

The size & caliber is what drew me to it......compact, .45.....& STAINLESS.

...past from the past.....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    I almost purchased one a bazillion years ago....like the rest of the S&W Third Generation line, it's a stoutly made and underappreciated gun.....had S&W made a "1016," I'd own two of them.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Anyone else like the S&W 4516?

I carried a Ruger .357 Magnum Security Six for many years. Carried that basically because the Army issued us pilots .38 Specials, and I thought the .357 was a nice personal upgrade. Eventually I switched to semi-auto.

Shown at the bottom is my S&W 457 in 3.75 inch barrel. Is a nice lightweight aluminum frame compact .45 ACP and is my main carry gun. I use a Milt Sparks IWB Summer Special 2 for this one.

Shooting 200 rounds at the range really pounds the hand with this lightweight 28 ounce 457. Am sore for a week. Somebody then showed me a 4516.

So, for lesser recoil at the range, and as an alternate carry gun, I added this .45 ACP 35 ounce S&W 4516-2 to the stable, shown at top. Is the heavier older brother of the 457and all stainless. Nice, nice gun. Also has an ambidextrous safety which I like, as I am ambidextrous. Is good practice to shoot lefty once in a while. For this gun I mostly use a Kramer IWB # 3.
    Attached Images

I have the 4513 tsw. its accurate and is reliable. Carries well.

JimB

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bones
    Also has an ambidextrous safety which I like, as I am ambidextrous.

That's what drew me to it since I'm a leftie, good firearm......
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I carried one for years and also a 4566 when I was working C.I. They are great weapons, totally reliable and I wish I still had mine!

I've owned a 4516-2 for over 10 years. It served several years in my night stand, the past 7 yrs as my truck gun. Stone cold reliable. When Kansas CCH starts in January it'll be at my side. I'm looking for a good paddle holster for it if anyone has recommendations.

4516 Not so great

if you shoot it much. I used one for about six months in IPSC stock class years ago because it was also my carry gun and I liked being very familiar with whatever I carried. After three or four broken ejectors I got rid of the piece of junk. I agree however, in a nightstand or a glove box they rule! Just don't shoot them 300 rounds a week for a month or two.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links