Great Springfield Customer Service and a Question

This is a discussion on Great Springfield Customer Service and a Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In another thread mentioned issues I was having getting HP ammunition to feed in my EMP. After trying 7 different loads with minimal success I ...

Thread: Great Springfield Customer Service and a Question

In another thread mentioned issues I was having getting HP ammunition to feed in my EMP. After trying 7 different loads with minimal success I called Springfield. I can't be happier with how they handled my issue. They immediately issued a prepaid FedEx label and RMA. Giving me the standard "it can take up to 30 days", they called back in 1 week saying it was ready to come back. To improve the feeding they polished the feed ramp, reamed the barrel and tuned the extractor. A short trip to the range with some of the same HP rounds yielded much better results. I had only 7 failures to feed out of 116 rounds. I'll have to run more rounds through to get more comfortable before considering carry, but happily Golden Sabres have fed with zero issues.

So, my question is what exactly does it mean that they "reamed the barrel"? How does that help rounds to feed? Thanks!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by fmcgraw View Post
    In another thread mentioned issues I was having getting HP ammunition to feed in my EMP. After trying 7 different loads with minimal success I called Springfield. I can't be happier with how they handled my issue. They immediately issued a prepaid FedEx and RMA. Giving me the standard "it can take up to 30 days", they called back in 1 week saying it was ready to come back. To improve the feeding they polished the feed ramp, reamed the barrel and tuned the extractor. A short trip to the range with some of the same HP rounds yielded much better results. I had only 7 failures to feed out of 116 rounds. I'll have to run more rounds through to get more comfortable before considering carry, but happily Golden Sabres have fed with zero issues.

So, my question is what exactly does it mean that they "reamed the barrel"? How does that help rounds to feed? Thanks!
    They probably reamed the chamber, not the entire barrel.

JD is right, they reamed the chamber... just opened up the ID a few ten-thousandths to make your ammo slide in and out a tad easier, and done off a production line has the added benefit of probably leaving the chamber with a smoother finish then when first manufactured.

I had similarly good experiences with Springfield Armory; the first time, they replaced the barrel, bushing, recoil spring and both sights on a 19 year-old 1911 A1. More recently, my TRP got an all-expense paid round trip to correct a low POI problem, and the "up to three weeks" promise turned out to be a 10-day round trip. I'm impressed.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

JD
    Administrator
    I had only 7 failures to feed out of 116 rounds. I'll have to run more rounds through to get more comfortable before considering carry, but happily Golden Sabres have fed with zero issues.

Also, if the GS ran without issue, what were the seven failures to feed from?

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Also, if the GS ran without issue, what were the seven failures to feed from?
    Since you ask..... :)
    2 of 14 Gold Dot 124gr
    2 HST 124gr in a partial magazine of 5, but 45 rounds prior fed without issue
    3 Ranger SXT 147gr across 3 magazines

I'll hit the range this weekend and run some more through to see if it gets any better. Having run almost 100 GS with no issues even before sending it in I know I'd be comfortable with that round, but would like to know most anything will feed. I'm open to suggestion if you have any. Thanks again.
    Ruger SR9, SR9c, Mark III, SP101 .357, New Vaquero .357, Fusion 1911 Elite .45acp

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    JD is right, they reamed the chamber
    That makes more sense, thanks. The invoice said they reamed the barrel which just didn't seem right.
    Ruger SR9, SR9c, Mark III, SP101 .357, New Vaquero .357, Fusion 1911 Elite .45acp

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Wait, what? You sent your gun in and after they 'fixed' it you got 7 FTF in 116 rounds? Did they even bother to test it before sending it back? What good is turnaround time if it has to go back again?

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    Wait, what? You sent your gun in and after they 'fixed' it you got 7 FTF in 116 rounds? Did they even bother to test it before sending it back? What good is turnaround time if it has to go back again?
    If I have more failures I will be calling again. Considering before I couldn't get through one full magazine, this is a tremendous improvement. They did test fire, though I don't know how many rounds. I am happy overall with their service, but do admit some concern over still having feed issues.

Question, are they 147 grain HP's ?

Reason I ask, my EMP hates them ..... but if shoot 124 gr or 115 gr they feed fine. I looked closely at it, it's also in how the bullet is made.... wide mouth and catches on the edge of the feed ramp.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Question, are they 147 grain HP's ?
    Most of the original failures were 124gr. This last time it was 4 124gr and 3 147gr. I thought the shape of the HP opening might also be a factor but I've had issues off and on with various types of bullets. It definitely likes the Golden Sabers though. Both 124 and 147 have fed flawlessly.

mkh
    The EMP is a tight little gun and most of them take 500 or so rounds to break in properly. It has very tight clearance between slide and frame and things just need to be smoothed out by firing it.

That is still to many failures. I would send it back and have them make it right. Seven failures would be ok for a range gun but not a carry gun.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Links