SIG quality control - Does it affect the classic P22x series?

This is a discussion on SIG quality control - Does it affect the classic P22x series? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I recently purchased a SIG P229 in 9mm. I have fired only 100 rounds through it so far, during which it has performed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SIG quality control - Does it affect the classic P22x series?

SIG quality control - Does it affect the classic P22x series?

Hello all,

I recently purchased a SIG P229 in 9mm. I have fired only 100 rounds through it so far, during which it has performed flawlessly. It is, as far as I know, a newer American made SIG. (frame says SIG-Sauer inc. Exter-NH-USA) While cleaning the gun, everything seemed to look fine. I currently have a P228 which I've had for a few months (got the P229 for a few reasons which are a bit complicated), and the P229 shot pretty much the same as the P228. The finish looks fine too. The slide rattles a little bit when I shake it (not a lot, the slide just seems to fit a tiny bit loosely on the frame - is this normal? It lessens significantly with a magazine inside). The P228 doesn't do this. My worry is that as more rounds go through it, any potential problems will show up.

I've read numerous complaints as to the quality of newer SIG guns. I was aware of these complaints, but upon reading further, it appears to be more serious than I thought. Therefore, I have a few questions:

1. Are these problems as bad as people make them out to be, or are they overblown and only affect a relatively few guns.

2. Do these problems mainly affect newer SIG guns such as the P250 and GSR, or do they also affect the classic guns such as the P226 and P229.

3. What are the estimated odds (obviously nothing for certain, just a guess) as to how likely it is that a newly purchased SIG P229 will be messed up? Don't need precise numbers, just an educated guess.

The gun I have is a plain SIG P229 with a rail - not one of the "special" ones (Equinox, E2 etc) and doesn't have a beaver-tail or anything like that. 100 rounds isn't much, and I plan to go through a good 150 or tomorrow at the range to get a better idea as to its reliability. How many would a good amount be to judge whether or not a gun is likely to be a lemon? It was a very expensive gun and I'd be disappointed to say the least if it was defective in some way.

2. Remove Ads

SIG had a big change in leadership in 2004/2005...and had a guy from Kimber take over the reigns. After a
    While, there was a noticeable change in QC of SIG products, to include the classic 22x series of guns. I have heard/read of problems of newer SIGs, but it is anecdotal and on the Internet...SIGforum and M4carbine.net have a few threads on SIG QC...all of my SIGs are pre-2004, so I haven't experienced it myself. However, any "new" SIGs purchased my me will be pre-2004 used guns.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Many Sig purists will agree with sigguy229. I personally have had all good experiences with Exeter NH manufactured guns. All my Sigs are post 2005 and I've never experienced any problems. I will say that my 239 does rattle (slide to frame fit), but has no effect on reliability or accuracy. None of my other Sigs rattle.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I have a 2011 model p239 SAS in 357 sig that performs flawless so far that's had somewhere around 300+ rounds fired through it and no rattles at all and Exremely Accurate......I also have a p229 that I believe is '98 model that has had no telling how many rounds thru it before I bought it(well used) plus a couple hundred rounds that I've fired. I've had no problems with it so far either........Extremely Accurate, as well...! I'm pleased with both but I guess time will be the factor on the newer model. It's at Teddy Jacobson's(Actions by T) right now getting an action/trigger job.....it's already a sweet shooter but should be even better when I get it back! I'm not going to worry about what I've heard and read about Sig's QC until I have a problem.....if that ever happens! Enjoy your Sigs!!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

I suspect you're more likely to find complainers posting on forums than happy owners (this forum excepted, of course!). My son's Sig P250 is going on 2,000 rounds without a hiccup, and I've never had a problem with my P238. In fact, I'm happy to report that a P220 Carry SAO I recently traded will soon be returning to the fold - I just missed it too much!
    BigRay in Iowa

As far a QC I think the new guns are on par with everything else out there in their price point (HK, Springfield, etc). The problem is that the older West German Sigs were just heads and tails above anything else out there on the market in the mid 80's and early 90's.

Some will disagree with this and that is OK as it is only one persons opinion but I challenge them to go to a large LGS or gun show ehere they can compare a new Sig and and older Sig side by side.

With that said I have a 2006 P229 Elite in .40 S&W that has only had 1 failure to feed in 2,000 rounds or so.

If you were to take todays production Sigs and put the fit and finish in them that they use dto have they would become as expensive as a custom gun like Nighthawk Custom or Wilson Combat.

Manufacturing or production is always a balancing act between price and quality.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I have a Sig GSR 1911 and despite being one of the early production, I've never had a problem more serious than a grip screw that Sig sent a replacement for (and they wanted me to send in the whole gun on their dime). So that is my experience with the post-2004 Sig quality. I also own a classic P226 that was manufactured in West Germany, and the slide is pretty loose. I was worried about it until I started shooting it, then when I saw how accurate it was, I stopped worrying.

I have a 2010 Exeter manufactured SP2022 and it has now gone over 1500 rounds with not a single hiccup. The fit, finish, and accuracy is also superb. - I think quite a bit of the controversy over current SIG quality is due to people getting carried away with things they read on the internet. I'm not saying there aren't some problems; all manufacturers have them. I'm just saying that the percentage of guns with problems is still probably relatively small compared to overall production. Another thing is that SIG 'purists' don't like anything new and will bash the newer guns any chance they get.

Well, just got back from the range where I fired 300 rounds through it (30 of which were hollowpoints). Not one single malfunction.

The only strange thing was that the slide would occasionally get caught when I tried to do a brass check and require significantly more force to pull the slide back - racking it several times quickly seemed to alleviate the situation. After inspecting the gun now after coming home, the the gun appears to be back to normal. Perhaps it was just because the barrel was hot/dirty? (not sure if anybody else has experienced this). I was shooting Blazer 9mm ammo.

All that said, the gun to my relief shot flawlessly and has yet to malfunction after about 400 rounds.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Blazer is known to be dirty ammo. That said use nothing but a quality gun grease not oil on your Sig and it will out live you.

Oh, spend some time lurking on Sig forum. Lots of good information and a fair amount of whine.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by maddy345 View Post
    As far a QC I think the new guns are on par with everything else out there in their price point (HK, Springfield, etc). The problem is that the older West German Sigs were just heads and tails above anything else out there on the market in the mid 80's and early 90's.

Some will disagree with this and that is OK as it is only one persons opinion but I challenge them to go to a large LGS or gun show ehere they can compare a new Sig and and older Sig side by side.

With that said I have a 2006 P229 Elite in .40 S&W that has only had 1 failure to feed in 2,000 rounds or so.

If you were to take todays production Sigs and put the fit and finish in them that they use dto have they would become as expensive as a custom gun like Nighthawk Custom or Wilson Combat.

Manufacturing or production is always a balancing act between price and quality.
    This is what I've found to be true. I have both older and new P series guns.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I have owned four Sigs over the years, currently I own a P229 SCT in .40 that was manufactured in late 2010. I only have about 500 rounds through it due to my rotation of carry guns between several different platforms depending on dress, preference and need. I have never had an issue with a Sig I've owned and my current SCT stands up to the quality of my first P229 Circ. '95.

I have noticed several posts on different forums by Sig owners who's guns have shown wear on the slide and frame rails that I would classify as very excessive after only a hundred or so rounds. The rails show's either steel or aluminum with no finish left and galling. Upon contacting Sig QC they were advised it was normal. If my pistol showed that type of wear after 100 rounds I would be very dissatisfied. Reports show that the wear tends to happen rapidly and then not worsen any further after a certain point.

My current Sig does not show this issue at all, neither have any of the Sigs I owned in the past after thousands of rounds. It seems that it does occur on many of the Exeter pistols and is considered the "new normal."

I don't find the P250 series are the quality of the 22X guns or even as good as the 2022 series which can be had at a cheaper price. I wouldn't be able to offer you any type of idea what chance your pistol would have a defect, but you may want to do a google search on how to inspect a semi-auto pistol for wear. After your next range trip, field strip your P229, wipe down the rails and inspect for wear. Shiny spots, discoloration, any type of metal on metal wear, finish being worn away, etc. Burrs from the manufacturing process will cause issues and if you find any they will need the be filed down. It looks to me like that is what is causing the excessive wear I've seen online by posters.

I will also say that I run Sigs with grease instead of oil on the rails, Sigs need to run "wet" and they will give you much more longevity if grease is used.

Well, I think I'm pretty much satisfied with my P229 now. Have about 700 rounds through it (took it shooting today with 4 others where we shot both handguns and did some clay pidgeons with shotguns) and not one single malfunction. The frame rails don't really show much more wear than normal.

I am personally very pleased with the P229 model in general as well. It is a little heavier than its brother, the P228, but also shoots with what I feel is less felt recoil (and the P228 by no means has a lot of recoil). It feels good and shoots well - the one thing I DO like on the P228 though is the trigger. That said, the P229 trigger isn't too bad in my opinion, and overallI definitely enjoy it thus far. Not sure if any problems will develop in the future, but would it be safe to say that if I can shoot 700 rounds without any problems at all, that the gun should be fine in the long run provided it is maintained properly?

Administrator
    Yes.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I just had my 239 over to an armorer friend. He scolded me for running my gun to dry. According to Sig, gun should be wet but not dripping with oil. Hmm, this is much more then I would put on. I also use Tetra gun grease at times as well, well lubed.

My experience is with several sigs, never a problem with accuracy or reliability. Their service and parts dept, now that is quite crappy. They just cannot seem to get stuff shipped on time and as they say. This is coming from my experience and for one of the local armorers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links