Never thought I would get rid of my Glock 26, but.................

This is a discussion on Never thought I would get rid of my Glock 26, but................. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I thought the Glock 26 was the end-all for my CCW needs. Corrosion resistant, reliable, and substantial capacity. I moved to an area that is ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Never thought I would get rid of my Glock 26, but.................

Never thought I would get rid of my Glock 26, but.................

I thought the Glock 26 was the end-all for my CCW needs. Corrosion resistant, reliable, and substantial capacity. I moved to an area that is hot and humid, so my clothing selection had to change. -shirts and jeans down-so my Glock 26 wouldn't conceal very well on my body even with a high-end IWB holster. I traded it in for a Kahr P9 with night sights and have never been happier. The gun is slim, has a few less rounds, but conceals like a gem. I hope the stainless will stand up to wear and tear like the tennifer on my Glock (ie rust, etc). So far I haven't looked backed at my decision although I was scared to depart with the 26. I still have a 23 at home, so not totally Glockless. Anyone else switch away from a Glock and why did you chose to?
    TN_Mike and cc9mm like this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Glocks are fine guns that work well as intended. I have nothing against them except for the fact that they are ugly,have the ergonomics of a 2x4 and a ratty trigger.

For those reasons I choose not to carry one concealed. I do carry a G21 for Patrol duty and I do qualify with it. So, although I carry one quite a bit because I have too, I do not when I am concealing a gun which is pretty much the rest of the time.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I guess it's whatever works for you. I happen to love the ergo's of the G26, as well as the trigger. I do also own a PM9, and ergo's and trigger would be my biggest complaint. Granted, it's smaller and I do like it. But it's not about to replace the G26.

I have two Glocks and one Kahr in my lineup, and I do like the thin profile and smooth trigger feel of the Kahr. My accuracy is about the same with all, so that is not a factor. And I am not as concerned about capacity as with always having the gun close. So I can understand your affection for your new Kahr.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

A Walther PPS has replaced my Glock 23 as my primary carry gun - easier, better concealment is the sole reason.

There was a time when I juggled back and forth on edc. But I have found the g26 to be easily concealable under all conditions, durable and reliable. With the proper holster it's a dream to carry. It ain't goin no where.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

GM
    Congrats on the Kahr, I am sure you will enjoy it. Make sure that you use a quality rust/corrosion prevention product; remember that stainless steel is not rust proof.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

My problem with the 26 was the ability to conceal it. With my CTAC, it would have to be cinched so tight (until I was going to puke) before it wouldn't print. To top it off, my shirt would get caught behind the gun and lift up.........not so good. The trigger on the Glock has a great reset that is awesome for rapid-fire. In a self-defense situation, I doubt the trigger reset would matter!
    10thmtn likes this.

I have nothing against Kahr, I just refused to own a " Moonie" gun made by the son of Sun Yung Moon.
    But the other and more legitimate reason I do not like them is because they are so thin and small.
    Glock built the 17 around the 9mm, and I believe he designed the thickness of the gun that way for a reason. And whatever that reason, we know it's durable beyond reasonable expectations.

The thinness of the Kahr concerns me. It seems like I would pay more and get less of everything.
    I believe there is a reason Glock has not produced a slim line gun. Can't back up any of this, but it's what I think.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I had a g27 that I tried hard to carry it, hated the width and general size of it. Sold it. I carried a revolver for 22+ years in a pocket. Bought a CW9 used and love it for concealed carry. Order a holster and all is great. I can shoot it just as well as the glock but i am use to a real DA trigger pull. Liked it enogh to pick up a cm9 for pocket carry . Still have a glock 17 for a house or travel handgun. After also try'n KelTec I find the kahrs are also very controlable for a reasonably light pistol. Glocks got a great gun for service work or different clothing styles but the design is how old now? Bet if sales for glock depended on CC only they would build a truely concealable handgun. Maybe they should. Not all of us wear coats/jackets, vest, or goofy looking baggy shirts to help hide larger handguns. if you live in jeans and in tucked in T-shirts not alot of choice's.

Distinguished Member
    They have if you call a G36 slim.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I have nothing against Kahr, I just refused to own a " Moonie" gun made by the son of Sun Yung Moon.
    But the other and more legitimate reason I do not like them is because they are so thin and small.
    Glock built the 17 around the 9mm, and I believe he designed the thickness of the gun that way for a reason. And whatever that reason, we know it's durable beyond reasonable expectations.

The thinness of the Kahr concerns me. It seems like I would pay more and get less of everything.
    I believe there is a reason Glock has not produced a slim line gun. Can't back up any of this, but it's what I think.
    Kahr came up with some pretty clever tricks on the PM9 that added to the slimness. I don't know that they would work on a double-stack gun (though I don't know that they would not). Since the G17 is a double-stack gun it was never really an issue anyway since the grip is so wide.

I own a PM9 and love it, but my next purchase will likely be a Glock in either 9mm or .40.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Glocks got a great gun for service work or different clothing styles but the design is how old now? Bet if sales for glock depended on CC only they would build a truely concealable handgun. Maybe they should. Not all of us wear coats/jackets, vest, or goofy looking baggy shirts to help hide larger handguns. if you live in jeans and in tucked in T-shirts not alot of choice's.
    A Glock 26/27 is not in the same class as a pocket gun. It is a very small pistol that is capable of giving service handgun type performance, including capacity, caliber and shootability. It is very concealable, if you are willing to put forth the effort. If fashion means more to you than carrying the most effective defensive arm possible, then that is a determination that everyone has to make for themselves.

I will admit to being lazy and sticking my Kel-Tec PF9 in my pocket if I'm going somewhere that I consider relatively safe, but I know that I am making a compromise, trading effectiveness for comfort. This occurs mostly in the summer months. During a large part of the year, when I'm generally wearing jeans and a sweatshirt anyway, I really wouldn't have any excuse not to carry my G26 or my M&P 45 compact.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

it's too bad Glock just don't get it,people want thin,compact single stack pistols for concealed carry..
    Copperjacket likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    it's too bad Glock just don't get it,people want thin,compact single stack pistols for concealed carry..
    I'm no fanboy, and actually prefer other manufacturers in calibers other than 9mm.......but after selling millions and millions of pistols worldwide, I'm pretty sure Glock "gets" something.

It would be neat if Glock would make a single stack 9 or 40, but in reality, Glock is always behind in filling the orders that they already have. Personally, I'd rather see an M&P single stack anyway.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links