357 Mag out of LCR....OUCH!!!

This is a discussion on 357 Mag out of LCR....OUCH!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by azchevy I disagree 110%. I have had zero issue with any 357 magnum round I have fired. I also shoot it one ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 357 Mag out of LCR....OUCH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I disagree 110%. I have had zero issue with any 357 magnum round I have fired. I also shoot it one handed. I just don't see the issues you are. I even posted video in the past.
    Judging by your avatar, this must be because you are a cyborg...

The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

Precisely why I traded my LCR--- why buy a handgun for .357 when it hurts to shoot at the range and then you wind up with .38's any.
    Except that the KLCR will handle .38's with ease, why spend the extra $ ? My SP101 .327 mag, is easily carried IWB/OWB and my M&PC
    9 mm ain't bad, either. I still have a BUG in my Tomcat Inox .32acp, but seldom use it as a BUG--- just have some fun with it at the range and, depending where I'm going and what I'm doing, it goes in the pocket by itself. To each his own! Happy Shooting WHATEVER you go
    with.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

We have to look no further than Newton's Third Law: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

The smaller the difference between the weight of the handgun and the weight of the charge it is expelling, meaning both bullet and powder charge, the closer we come to that "equal" that ol' Isaac mentions in his law.

There are diminishing returns for making handguns ever lighter. Weight is your friend. Some handguns have gotten too light to even be considered good products in my view. Light weight has become a stunt for manufacturers to try to achieve and for shooters to try to endure shooting.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I totally agree. Please see the link from the Late, Great Stephen A. Camp (Rest in Peace) at his site: Hi-Powers & Handguns where he compares the 357 and the 38 out of the same short barrel (compensating for velocity loss due to putting a 38 through a 357).

Click Here for Link

That extra 200-300 ft/sec is significant.

Mr Camp does point out the fact that a light j-frame with 357s are not easy to control. Mr Camp also states:
    "The notion that the .357 is so inefficient in the two-inch guns that it's no more effective than a hot .38 Special just doesn't seem to be true. While neither is at its best in the snub, the magnum is the more potent of the two with most ammo."

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Don't use +p light bullets in a snub. If you could see the chrono results, you would know why. Only use 158 weight bullets in standard or +p loadings with a semi wadcutter design. Hollowpoints not neccasary With this bullet.

People who recommend light +p bullets from a short barrel need to buy a chronograph so we can stop this.

357and40: Thanks for the site connection; it's a great point to be made. P.S. My bro. and sis. -in-law live in St Charles: he belongs to a gun club with a BIG outdoor range where you can shoot machineguns, if you wish .Good shooting!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

While it's demonstrable that a .357 Magnum snub can whip the .38 Special snub with most, but not all, factory loads; factory loads like the Buffalo Bore +P .38 Special can go a long way to mitigating that Magnum advantage in the snubs.

Buffalo Bore .38 Special +P 158 grain lead SWC-HP tested from a 2-inch Smith & Wesson revolver.

MV 1063 fps
    ME 397 ft./lbs.
    ES 56
    SD 24

Only problem is, then the recoil issue rears it's ugly head when the fire-breathing .38 Special +P loads are stoked up in the lightweight .357 Magnum snubs. An individual just has to determine if the extra power of the .357 Magnum is comforting enough to deal with the baggage that it brings with it in the form of controllability issues when used in shrunken, lightweight snubs.

The .38 Special snub still represents a great idea for practical personal self defense. Good hits count for far more than a modicum of extra power.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

If I had to carry .357 I would use a medium powered one like the Gold Saber or maybe the Silvertip. I would carry a .38 +P or +P+ myself.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i say again, as glockman and i seem to agree...158gr LSWC.

no +p, no 357.

the 2" runs best all around, recoil which affects accuracy and the bullet which properly placed will cause a cessation of hostilities,
    learn to double tap rather than spend money on expensive ammo that you read about in a magazine that guess what...they get paid to say nice things; think about it.
    there is new to the market ammo designed for short bbl. and 100 of those to practice with is gonna cost you how much??
    or were you just gonna load the gun and cause 'they say' your gonna bet your life on a strangers words.

reading to gather info is good, but eventually you have to make a decision. talk to people who have carried and perhaps used the items of interest to you.
    rather than paid writers and strangers whose idea of what works is likely throwing up what they have read....key board commandos
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    If you didn't realize ahead of time that the .357 was going to KICK then I don't have much sympathy for you. The recoil is definitely noticeable but I personally found the SP101 to kick more than the LCR. I didn't enjoy shooting the SP101 at all.
    Last edited by GoBigOrange; June 24th, 2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: I'll stop saying what I really think

VIP Member
    I have chronoed the 125 grain .357 Golden Saber, 158g Remington SJHP full bore .357 loads and my 125 grain .38 special reloads that are reasonably mild. Below is the data and my impressions. All loads were shot from my S&W 640.

125 grain .357 Golden Saber - 10 rounds shot
    Average speed (fps) - 1,086
    Min - 1,059
    Max - 1,134
    Shoots well, not too much recoil, easy to shoot, aim and get back on target. I carry these in my 640.

158 grain SJHP - 5 rounds shot
    Average speed (fps) - 1,072
    Min - 1,054
    Max - 1,088
    These are a handful. I have a friend that has a S&W 500 with a 6 inch barrel and these feel about the same. I never shoot more than a cylinder at a session. If you were to shoot 100 of these in a session, you might as well simply shut your hand in the car door repeatedly, it would be cheaper to get the same thrill. I suspect that these would overpenetrate in a SD role. Interesting to note that while the slug is bigger, it is traveling at essentially the same speed as the much more comfortable Golden Saber. I am not sure how much powder is adding to the recoil and simply burning outside the barrel, but the fireball is impressive.

125 grain .38 reloads - 10 rounds shot
    Average speed (fps) - 734
    Min - 721
    Max - 744
    Nice easy load to use for practice. I can shoot these from my 640 & 642 all day long. These use the full load of powder allowed by the Lyman's manual for lead bullets (I use Rainier copper plated, not jacketed bullets).
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

ksholder--interesting about the GS magnums.. good info.

the 640 is a heck of a nice gun but at 23 ounces and 2.5" bbl ( very nice looker!)
    unless its ergonomics are special to your needs, 8 rounds of 45acp in a Colt Defender,
    which is very close to the same footprint, and thinner --so i ask you; why your choice?

may i add that my M60-5" is a always keep gun; its that good! though i do not carry it (often)
    -------------------

I just went out and shot some 158gr and 125gr jsp and videoed the one handed recoil drawing aiwb and shooting all five rounds fast onto a target then reloading and doing it again. Not a handful whatsoever. Once I edit a few things out I will post photos videos and groupings. Probably Monday I will have it done. I just really can't agree with anyone that says it is a handful. It recoils, yes, more than most but it is easy to control and doesn't hurt my hand. Fired about thirty shots fastsworn zero Issues. Very accurate. I also swapped out the houge tamer for the boot grip in the video too so obviously the smaller grip is the worst recoil you can experience with the LCR. Again I totally disagree with the fact this hurts.

Yeah but aschey, you're tougher than some of us.

I can do the same thing and can even stand it but don't profess to like it enough to go into the snub .357 Magnum business or recommend it to others.

within a standard bell-curve there are also the slimmer ends.

those being the very recoil sensitive and opposite them are the very recoil insensitive which is where you most likely are.

for those more in the middle, and those whose hands change over time perhaps due to repetitive actions or arthritis for example,
    there are guns that fit each of us and some that simply do not work (anymore) for others.

telling some one to MAN UP sometimes is neither viable nor doable. JMNSHO
    wmhawth and Old School like this.
    -------------------

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Checkout this video. It shows the recoil from the Ruger LCR .357 in slow motion:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links