357 Mag out of LCR....OUCH!!! - Page 3

357 Mag out of LCR....OUCH!!!

This is a discussion on 357 Mag out of LCR....OUCH!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lance--good shootin. and if you were to get the web of your left hand higher up the back strap; all the way up to the ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 357 Mag out of LCR....OUCH!!!

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Lance--good shootin. and if you were to get the web of your left hand higher up the back strap; all the way up to the tip of the rubber....it may be even smoother.

its a bit uncomfortable at first but, give it a try. it works for many, perhaps you may find it does for you also.
    you may notice that the roundedness of the grip fills your hand more evenly. more area spreads out the recoil.
    good luck.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I suppose years of motocrossing have made my hands insensitive to things like this. Any snub revolver is going to have more recoil than say a compact semi pistol. I just don't get bothered by it. Them again I also spend hours hiking and hunting in 115 degree weather too and don't understand the people who think it is too hot.

Which range is that? I am a member at Ultimate Defense Indoor range.

Not many I know of other than Arnold Gun Club where they have large outdoor areas & Top Gun is indoor but rents Full-Auto. Both are kinda a road trip & a half from St. Charles.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    357and40: Thanks for the site connection; it's a great point to be made. P.S. My bro. and sis. -in-law live in St Charles: he belongs to a gun club with a BIG outdoor range where you can shoot machineguns, if you wish .Good shooting!

I think it was Jim Cirillo that swore by a Wadcutter that was sliced across the flat of the projectile rather than a standard hollow point. The bullet would expand like a helicopter blade.

Something like the above...

I'm looking to get my first revolver and am leaning more towards the SP101 357 to soak up that recoil rather than the LCR 357.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    I think it was Jim Cirillo that swore by a Wadcutter that was sliced across the flat of the projectile rather than a standard hollow point. The bullet would expand like a helicopter blade.

Something like the above...
    that is one wicked looking bullet!!!

id love to get my hands on 50 or so; i could play with em and find if looking bad is being bad.
    are they plated or jacketed ( I'm thinking plated)....and there weight is? cant tell by looking cause the line on the case
    may be for seating depth or the bullet goes past it and the stitching just holds the bullet tighter. (im thinking deeper and ~160gr)

unless a police dept in CT were to issue those, I'm not gonna be the 1st one on my block to have my
    lawyer finding out how much it cost to defend me when using them.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------

.357 woes

I solved the problem of the recoil by going with an EAA Windcator 6-rnd 357/38spl with a 2" barrel. It's an all steel frame so it's heavier than the composite frame types, but I have shot the 158gr .357 hollowpoints with no problems and the 38's feel like a popgun. Of course, being a big guy with lartge hands helps too.

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
    - G. K. Chesterton

642: .38 Spcl (Standard Pressure)
    640: .38 Spcl +P (regardless of what it says on the barrel!)
    686: .357 Magnum

That is what each gun was designed for originally. It is what shoots comfortable, allowing follow up shots. I have no illusions about carrying "Elephant Killing" ammo is a pocket gun. I have buddies who fire the 640 with .357 ammo. I stand well behind them because the gun is all over the place and I notice they don't shoot very many rounds per session.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

with the right holster a heaver steel m60 type , though small its heavyness is distributed well and it carries easy all day.
    but them rigs tend to be large and in warmer climates (tx, fl) it may be restrictive as to how one dresses around it

the smaller and lighter (642 and even lighter other models) carry easier in smaller holsters or even a pocket. though if stoked with 357 or even +P's they are a (sometimes painful) handful.

so one has to balance their budget of course--lighter cost lots more; balance their recoil thrush hold ( you have to practice till you and the gun are one and than a box
    every few months to keep it that way)
    balancing cost, recoil and dress style. oh, and how much power do you think your gonna possibly be called upon to administer.
    average gun fight ( and numbers lie cause its one fight you are going to be having) is 3 shots at 3 yards in 3 seconds.
    so we can feel statistically safe having 5 in a Smith or 6 in a Colt.

just me & 40 odd years of observing & teaching but if i can only have one SD gun---a S&W 642

when you have trained out to 50 feet and 4" groups, you will know its all you need.
    need vs want is another story. and you should have 2 items on ua--one being the 642 with 158gr LSWC.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------

The rounds pictured above were just pics I found on the web that looked like the ones Jim Cirillo had pictured in his book:

"Guns, Bullets, And Gunfights: Lessons And Tales From A Modern-Day Gunfighter"

I can not remember the exact configuration (IIRC unjacketed lead was his original) but the end result looked PAINFUL. It was just flayed open and flattened out so much that it looked like two pancakes joined at the edge...

Cool

One more article from Mr. Camp on .38 spl +p ammo comparison in a S&W 642 snubnose revolver....

New Page 2
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Thanks for all the advice. I knew it was gonna be a little beast when i bought it. I'm not doubting or regretting my purchase. I love my snub!!
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I suppose years of motocrossing have made my hands insensitive to things like this. Any snub revolver is going to have more recoil than say a compact semi pistol. I just don't get bothered by it. Them again I also spend hours hiking and hunting in 115 degree weather too and don't understand the people who think it is too hot.
    Yes, you are more man than me! LOL
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

[QUOTE=LanceORYGUN;1962655]Checkout this video. It shows the recoil from the Ruger LCR .357 in slow motion:

Double thumbs down on that one. All wrong!

Here's two thumbs up, firm and relaxed.

HPIM2849.jpgHPIM2850.jpg
    MorganFreeman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I'm looking to get my first revolver and am leaning more towards the SP101 357 to soak up that recoil rather than the LCR 357.
    SP101 with .357mag loads is still a handful, but not unreasonable. I load mine with .38spl +P 129 gr Federal HST in a speedloader, and Blue Glaser for nightstand application. That way I don't have to worry about inadvertently shooting through my neighbors walls before I'm fully awake.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links