357 Mag out of LCR....OUCH!!!

This is a discussion on 357 Mag out of LCR....OUCH!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by high pockets SP101 with .357mag loads is still a handful, but not unreasonable. I load mine with .38spl +P 129 gr Federal ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 357 Mag out of LCR....OUCH!!!

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    SP101 with .357mag loads is still a handful, but not unreasonable. I load mine with .38spl +P 129 gr Federal HST in a speedloader, and Blue Glaser for nightstand application. That way I don't have to worry about inadvertently shooting through my neighbors walls before I'm fully awake.
    I didn't hear you say that, high pockets, I mean, that part about discharging your firearm before you were fully awake.

So. Back to tiny .357's....

I put 20 rounds of '357 Mag 158 gr XTP' - it's what the shop had on hand - through my LCR the other day along with 50 rounds of white box Winchester .38 special.

I popped off those rounds with some "gardening gloves" from Ace Hardware. Just enough padding and protection to matter. Yah, those .357's were stingers but as far as I can tell were no more or less accurate at cracking up empty cat litter boxes from out to 21 feet than the Winchesters. Don't ask about anything past 21 feet because I didn't have any reading type corrective lenses handy so the short sights were a blurry mess.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    Lance--good shootin. and if you were to get the web of your left hand higher up the back strap; all the way up to the tip of the rubber....it may be even smoother.

its a bit uncomfortable at first but, give it a try. it works for many, perhaps you may find it does for you also.
    you may notice that the roundedness of the grip fills your hand more evenly. more area spreads out the recoil.
    good luck.

Sorry, I should have clarified that the video was just one that I found on You Tube. It is nothing that I created.

Besides, I would shoot myself before I was ever caught wearing a bracelet or a Fuchsia colored shirt.

The +P stuff from buffalo bore was too much for me. So I tried their standard pressure, low flash stuff for short barrels.

It's still stiff, but a lot easier for me to manage, with my 442.

I have an SP101, and it's a lot of fun to shoot, even with full power loads.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    Don't ask about anything past 21 feet because I didn't have any reading type corrective lenses handy so the short sights were a blurry mess.
    See, you might as well have not been fully awake either.

Used poor terminology. From across bedroom, I like Glasers for less wall penetration. As long as I can control my backstop, I prefer HSTs.

It's only 10' from bedroom door to bed. Not a lot of time for waking up and assessing situation (not to mention putting on glasses ). Much easier if going all the way to an exterior door.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    See, you might as well have not been fully awake either.

Used poor terminology. From across bedroom, I like Glasers for less wall penetration. As long as I can control my backstop, I prefer HSTs.

It's only 10' from bedroom door to bed. Not a lot of time for waking up and assessing situation (not to mention putting on glasses ). Much easier if going all the way to an exterior door.
    Man, I can't even leave the bed without putting on my spectacles. Just to clarify, I wear contact lenses and readers once I get moving.

And the moral of this story is...

The LCR is, for me, is a very powerful and very long stick - more or less. It will fit my self defense philosophy and style when I'm out and about. I have a sentinel to wake me up in time to make some choices when I'm at home.

HPIM2832.jpg

The Buffalo Bore 38 +P 158 gr lswchp is good stuff, but it is pretty stout out of my 638. I am looking to buy a 357 steel frame and hopefully it will be a little more pleasant out of that.

Full house loads hurt my hands too out of my LCR 357 mag. I have found that Remington Golden Sabre 125g and anything that has the all copper Barnes Expander bullet suit my needs much better. I currently have Corbon DPX 125g in mine right now for SD. Both of these are much more manageable for me.

My personal choice is Federal Premium .357 130 gr Hydra Shok JHP Personal Defense. Good ballistics- out of a 4" bbl 1350-1400 fps/about 570 ft lbs of energy- manageable, relatively light muzzle flash and EXTREMELY accurate out of my LCR. This load made my LCR my primary EDC.

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Deadguy & I have discussed this for quite a while now. He & I got our 360s at the same time. Up until he figured out that trying to keep the weapon super stable & fight recoil was the source of pain, it was a brutal little beast. Like he said, relaxed shoulder & elbow, firm wrist & hand...

I carry Double Tap 158 grain 357 Magnums with a Speer Gold Dot Bonded front end. Those 13 ounce 357s aren't too bad once you get the technique down. Until then they are MEAN.
    I'm going to stick with my Kimber .45. I've fired a friends LCR in .357 and I just figure I can follow up much faster with my .45 than that lightweight gun that kicks like a mule. :-)
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Lance--being that i am certified "fashion challanged"....i never noticed the clothes;

just that the grip could be improved from a technical POV
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I shoot 125G. 357 from my LCR with no pain. The Tamer Grip seems to take the pain away. 158G. is too heavy. For years 125G. has been noted as the best Holow point to carry in 357. There are many 125G. 357 loads on the market that the LCR can handle and are not punishing to shoot. I carry Corbon as my SD round.

Quote Originally Posted by ridurall View Post
    I'm going to stick with my Kimber .45. I've fired a friends LCR in .357 and I just figure I can follow up much faster with my .45 than that lightweight gun that kicks like a mule. :-)
    You know Deadguy & I are recoil junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    that is one wicked looking bullet!!!

id love to get my hands on 50 or so; i could play with em and find if looking bad is being bad.
    are they plated or jacketed ( I'm thinking plated)....and there weight is? cant tell by looking cause the line on the case
    may be for seating depth or the bullet goes past it and the stitching just holds the bullet tighter. (im thinking deeper and ~160gr)

unless a police dept in CT were to issue those, I'm not gonna be the 1st one on my block to have my
    lawyer finding out how much it cost to defend me when using them.
    Claude Clay
    those bullets are Plated,
    they were made by a man named Fuzzy Fletcher for Jim.
    Fuzzy is and I are friends and I now own the machine to make the safe stop bullets. It is all I carry in my 2 and 3 in guns.
    I will send you a PM>

Pete

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Anyone use the Speer Gold Dot 125 gr. 357 Magnum in a LCR?

I like the idea of the Double Tap 125 Bonded Defense (Gold Dot) , and the 110 gr Tac-XP but don't know if the
    little gun will stand up to 1,600 fps of Magnum power.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I'm looking to get my first revolver and am leaning more towards the SP101 357 to soak up that recoil rather than the LCR 357.
    Something to think about, the appeal of the LCR is reduced weight, but the size and weight of a loaded SP101 is the same as a G23 with 14 rounds.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links