357 Mag out of LCR....OUCH!!!

This is a discussion on 357 Mag out of LCR....OUCH!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got to the range today with my new Ruger LCR 357Mag. well.....38 spec out of it is a dream to shoot but full 357 loads.... ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 357 Mag out of LCR....OUCH!!!

357 Mag out of LCR....OUCH!!!

Got to the range today with my new Ruger LCR 357Mag. well.....38 spec out of it is a dream to shoot but full 357 loads..... It truly felt like I was being smacked in the hand with a lead pipe! So, looks like I won't be cowboying up alot with this snubbie!

Question....I was firing 38spec 158 grain lead ball and 357mag 158 grain semi jacketed lead outta the LCR. Are those good rounds for self defense? Or should i go and find a good hollow point?

Sorry for no real range report. I only went through a little under 100 rounds just to get a feel for her. But I will say this, first round with both 38 and 357, tore a nice round hole through the center of the target at 5 yards. But after that first round with 357, all hell broke loose! LOL
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    good reason why them ultra light weight's made from unobtainimom are so often found on the used shelf. and looking like only 5 rounds ( or 3) had been fired. they hurt and after you run out of misses they too light to even smack em upside da head with.

but the good news is 158 gr LSWC are smooth to shoot and allow for accuracy. the shelf on the LSWC bores a hole allowing for blood to run out. RN is a ragged hole and pretty much closes up behind itself, blood drips rather than flows. with some of the new ( and pricey) HP's for short bbls you get better expansion and likely equal to or perhaps a better ( worse from his POV) wound channel.
    so stay with regular, try some +p's also. good luck.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Thanks Clay. I'm really new to carrying revo so ammo selection is no where near my strong point with it. I figure 38 +p should do the job nicely. The only issue I had with my S&W 637 I had before was I could only shot 38 out of it. I wanted the full flavor of 357. Not knowing just how flavorful it could be! LOL
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

My suggestion would be the BuffaloBore stuff. You can get the +p 158gr LWSWC stuff and be set to handle most anything, or you can run the standard pressure 158gr low flash short barrel stuff which is what I use in my LCR. What ever you choose I suggest going with heaviest round you can get. The 158gr IMO is the best overall performer. It might be a little slower, but it should end up a with a little better penetration due to the extra weight. Mine is the .38 +p version LCR and the BB standard pressure 158gr is what I load in my .38's. The energy delivered by it is pretty darn close to the 124gr GoldenSaber +p round, but the recoil is much easier to deal with. I can't say enough about the BB stuff. It's my opinion that It's among some of the best stuff you can load in your self-defense weapon.

Congrats on the new LCR. I've had mine for some time now, and it goes everywhere with me. It is a absolute pleasure to carry, but feels like a beast when at the range due to the 13oz frame. IMO it's a fair trade for such a light and reliable carry weapon. I'm thinking that in the event you have to use it, I kinda doubt you'll be feeling the recoil of whatever round you decide to run in it.

Another thought. Since you have the .357 version, you could load the BB 157gr +p LWSWC that has numbers on the low side for the .357magnum. It would easily serve as a excellent defense round while easing up on the recoil factor for ya.

Anyway, good luck and congrats again on a fine revolver.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Do what we all have done. You shoot 38spl at the range and you carry a good 357 load when you carry the gun. You won't feel the wrist pain when someone is trying to kill you. I have always liked 158 grain Hydrashocks.
    mr.stuart likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    Try some .357 125 grain Golden Sabers. They are much more mild shooting than full load .357 but still bring more to the party than .38+P loads. I find these comfortable in my 640 while hunting loads are a handful. For general shooting I just go with .38.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I had the same issue with my 360 until I quit fighting it. For me, one handed shooting with the 158 grain loads is less painful. A tight grip with a relaxed and bent elbow relieves alot of the felt recoil. It sounds crazy but it works at the range. I also feel it is very beneficial to practice heavily with one handed shooting with this type of gun since I primarily use it as a BUG. I do carry it as a primary at times as well.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Double ouch......
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Cool

I fired a couple cylinders of 158 gr. +p .38 spl. from a LCR and bought a SP-101.

I'm old and my wrists can't take the pounding of the ultra lights with heavy +p loads.

I shoot 110 gr. WWB .357 for practice and 125 gr. Golden Sabers .357 or Gold Dots for SD.

They are mild .357 loads.

The 110 gr WWB is not a bad SD load and has minimal recoil for a .357.

I like the lighter 125 gr.+p loads in light snubbies like my S&W 638.

The Pachmayr Compac Grips also make a big difference in taming felt recoil.

photo.jpgphoto.jpg
    wmhawth likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    I had the same issue with my 360 until I quit fighting it. For me, one handed shooting with the 158 grain loads is less painful. A tight grip with a relaxed and bent elbow relieves alot of the felt recoil. It sounds crazy but it works at the range. I also feel it is very beneficial to practice heavily with one handed shooting with this type of gun since I primarily use it as a BUG. I do carry it as a primary at times as well.
    Deadguy & I have discussed this for quite a while now. He & I got our 360s at the same time. Up until he figured out that trying to keep the weapon super stable & fight recoil was the source of pain, it was a brutal little beast. Like he said, relaxed shoulder & elbow, firm wrist & hand...

I carry Double Tap 158 grain 357 Magnums with a Speer Gold Dot Bonded front end. Those 13 ounce 357s aren't too bad once you get the technique down. Until then they are MEAN.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I usually wear a padded palm glove when I shoot the .357 loads in the LCR. It hurts a little, but I can shoot it occasionally preferring the .38 special loads at the range. In carry mode it's nice to have an option of a shotshell first, then a .357 and then three more or three .38 spec.

A modified weaver stance with elbows slightly bent will work like a shock absorber much more so than the elbows locked straight out. I would also recommend shooting it one handed to see how that works too. Practice in the same manners that you believe it may be deployed. In a SD situation, there is every liklihood you will not be standing there like you see most people on the range. With the vast array of .38 and .357 rounds available, you should be able to find a suitable round for carry. For .38, the +P semi-wadcutter in 158gr is hard to beat. I also like the Speer Gold Dot ammo as well. Buffalo Bore has a huge following and is highly regarded. As for .357, try to find some of the lower recoil short barrel rounds in a lighter weight. I'm not sure if there are other grip options available for the LCR, but that may be something to consider as well. There is also another way to grip a DAO snubbie. Take the normal right hand grip, and then take the left grip and place your left thumb up over the base of the right thumb. This helps control muzzle flip. Only try this with DAO revolvers or you'll get a scar on your left thumb that matches mine. Hope some of this helps...if not, nothing wrong with carrying a good .38+P round.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I disagree 110%. I have had zero issue with any 357 magnum round I have fired. I also shoot it one handed. I just don't see the issues you are. I even posted video in the past.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    What part of hard-kicking caliber + light handgun (or rifle as the case may be)=wallop did you miss during recoil class? What's next on the list, a .44 Mag snubbie?

Yeah, I'm just being snide. Reserve the Mag for when you need it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Don't use +p light bullets in a snub. If you could see the chrono results, you would know why. Only use 158 weight bullets in standard or +p loadings with a semi wadcutter design. Hollowpoints not neccasary With this bullet.

People who recommend light +p bullets from a short barrel need to buy a chronograph so we can stop this.
    bmcgilvray, Dragman and nedrgr21 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links