Tell me the Proper Grip on a 1911?

This is a discussion on Tell me the Proper Grip on a 1911? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am just learning to shoot my new to me Springfield 1911A1 Loaded. I noticed the gun shoots low about 3-4 inches, and when I ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By JD

Thread: Tell me the Proper Grip on a 1911?

I am just learning to shoot my new to me Springfield 1911A1 Loaded. I noticed the gun shoots low about 3-4 inches, and when I really pay attention to my grip on the gun the groups rise up to about an inch low. So my question is what is the proper grip on a 1911, like
    as high as you can go, thumb where and so on.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I am just learning to shoot my new to me Springfield 1911A1 Loaded. I noticed the gun shoots low about 3-4 inches, and when I really pay attention to my grip on the gun the groups rise up to about an inch low. So my question is what is the proper grip on a 1911, like
    Assuming your right handed, take the gun by the slide in your left hand, drive your right hand as far up the grip as you can so that the web of your hand is plastered to the bottom of the beavertail, thumb over thumb safety, wrap fingers around. Your 1911 has a flat mainspring housing, switching to an arched mainspring housing can raise natural point of aim.

A proper mainspring housing should fit with not gunsmith attention needed. I'd probably opt for an arched main spring housing from Ed Brown.

Looking at the picture above, you'll see my muzzle is dipped a little bit, this is because the "target" I was sighting in on was below my normal line of sight. If your spouse or a friend is willing, take and unloaded gun, get a proper grip and extend your arms straight out, have a picture taken and see if the bore line is parallel with your arms, if not you may need an arched main spring housing.

As for your shooting, if you start off with a more relaxed grip, you might just be dipping the gun while shooting in anticipation of recoil and when your focus more on the grip it's not as much of an issue.

Might be you, might be your hand size/gun fit.

Administrator
    ...and thats about as good as internet instruction gets.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Glad this topic came up. I have only had mine a few month, and this gives me a few things to look out for.

Here is a pretty good explanation by Todd Jarrett:

YouTube - ‪Todd Jarrett on pistol shooting.‬‏

I never could adapt to the gripping of any handgun with two hands or the finger off the trigger until ready to fire thing. My best has always been one handed. Of course I'm not an expert, I just do what comes natural. Different strokes I guess.

Question Ammo ?

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    You do not mention what ammo you are shooting....Loads with a bullet lighter than 230 grains will most often shoot below the point of aim.
    U.S. Army Veteran

Links