Bersa 380, not good for women.

This is a discussion on Bersa 380, not good for women. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently bought my girlfriend a Bersa 380. We went to the range and I shot about 50 rounds through it without a single problem. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Bersa 380, not good for women.

Bersa 380, not good for women.

I recently bought my girlfriend a Bersa 380. We went to the range and I shot about 50 rounds through it without a single problem. Little info before I go on...she knows how to hold a gun, she's shot my 40's with no problem. When she shot the Bersa 380 Thunder, at least once out of every two clips there was a fail-to-feed or stove pipe. She was holding it perfectly, however she is tiny and weighs 105 lbs, so she doesn't have much strength, and I guess that causes them to jam. What are some good small caliber guns (380, sub-compact 9mm's) that won't jam due to not having a firm grip?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    None. Stick with the Bersa, for now anyway. It doesn't take strength, but it does take technique. It could be the gun was getting dirty, it still had the factory gunk... give it a little more time.

Or, purchase a full sized steel 9mm. Teach her on that, then move to a pea shooter.
    "Just blame Sixto"

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    None. Stick with the Bersa, for now anyway. It doesn't take strength, but it does take technique. It could be the gun was getting dirty, it still had the factory gunk... give it a little more time.

Or, purchase a full sized steel 9mm. Teach her on that, then move to a pea shooter.
    I agree with SIXTO, give the Bersa a little more time. If you get a smaller and more lightweight firearm it will be even harder for her. The Bersa is not too lightweight, and with little practice she will be able to handle it.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Previous girlfriend preferred my XD9sc over my Bersa .380cc.

Current girlfriend prefers my Bersa .380cc over my XD9sc.

To each his (or in this case, her) own.

All firearms take practice. Smaller pistols require more.

Clean the Beras, marry the girl friend, enjoy life!!!!!!
    Old School likes this.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Or you could get her a LCR or S&W .38
    Glock 22 Gen 4, 27
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

They will all jam if she is not using the proper technique, so it sounds like your girlfriend needs to practice. I am close to the same size, and I had the same problem with my Bersa until I worked on my grip. Many times we expect it to act just like the heavier guns that we have no issues with, and it snaps a little more than anticipated. I will say that I've had less issues with the LC9 though, but it may be because I know what to expect now and hold the gun a little tighter than I used to.

Stick with the Bersa and she'll learn what to do. I think it's a great firearm to start with when shooting the smaller weapons because the recoil is a little more bearable than others.
    claude clay and msgt/ret like this.

She has a proven handgun. It's probably not the gun. She just needs more range time with it. What ammo is she feeding it? Oh and again, it's a magazine, not a clip. ;)
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

JD
    Administrator
    The Bersa .380 was Lima's fist pistol, she shot it fine at 103lbs.

The Bersa .380 is "blowback" operated which means that the barrel is fixed and the rearward energy is ALL sent directly back to make the slide travel to the rear. This it may actually have more felt recoil than other similar sized guns etc.

As all ready stated, any semi-auto can be "limp-wristed", the frame has to be held firmly in place by the shooter in order to keep it from traveling with the slide as it travels to the rear to keep it cycling properly. As I recall, the ejection port on the Bersa is rather small and thus it may jam up even more easily with a weak grip.

Avoid small guns in general for new shooters, they do take a little more effort to shoot well and the recoil springs are generally stiffer.

You are right about women having a little less strength, but she should be able to get it down. I will also take this time to strongly suggest that if you want her to learn, you should suggest she go to an instructor and learn as sometimes things can go a little sideways when trying to instruct your significant other, TRUST ME on that.

If she likes your XD, look into an XD or XDM in 9mm, or just get a 9mm conversion barrel for yours, it's cheaper than another gun and if she likes it you can get her an XD9 and keep the barrel for your gun or sell it. Other good 9mm pistols include the Smith&Wesson M&P9 or M&P9 Compact.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Florida View Post
    I recently bought my girlfriend a Bersa 380. We went to the range and I shot about 50 rounds through it without a single problem. Little info before I go on...she knows how to hold a gun, she's shot my 40's with no problem. When she shot the Bersa 380 Thunder, at least once out of every two clips there was a fail-to-feed or stove pipe. She was holding it perfectly, however she is tiny and weighs 105 lbs, so she doesn't have much strength, and I guess that causes them to jam. What are some good small caliber guns (380, sub-compact 9mm's) that won't jam due to not having a firm grip?
    they are called revolvers.

honestly i could recommend a p380 with a holdster wallet type grip/holster.
    but with out the ability to hold a gun with a proper grip (strength) there will not be a 'right' for her
    a 32acp in a med frame. but a 380 bersa is like, the definitive beginners gun. after learning the proper grip (working on getting the strength to have the proper grip) than one may move on to finessing the gun to substitute for various short falls in arm or hand strength. the black hand squeezer i hand out to many students. start with 2 hands at red lights and as the week(s) progress so will her grip. than one hand and 10 reps; than 15 , than ....35 is the goal strong hand, 30 other hand.
    excellent that she wants to learn, just now ua need to with her, do some back ground work. get strong. and in the mean time a revolver, a nice S&W 34 4" , will keep range time fun and useful
    good luck to ua both.

another j-frame is a 332. loaded with 32 H&R magnum and down loaded to S&W 32 Longs and even 32acp.
    since my daughter left home with most of my 380's and my 642, the p32 and 332 are there replacements.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I recommend the Bersa to many women and they love them.
    limatunes likes this.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Sounds like she was probably shooting with a limp wrist.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Florida View Post
    I'm not sure what weight has to do with strength.

Either she has a firm grip or she doesn't or it's c) none of the above and could be something with the gun. It's hard to know without seeing her shoot, her grip, the exact issue, etc.

JD is right. Having an actual firearms instructor who is NOT a significant other (i.e. not you) evaluate her might lead to far better insights into the real problem. That's not to say you aren't good but the dynamics between intimate individuals and firearms instruction is never ideal.

Also, as stated, any semi-auto has the possibility of jamming due to lax grip or limp wristing.. it's just one of those things about semi-autos.

If it is determined that it is truly a wrist/grip/strength issue with her she can always start working a grip master, stress ball or wrist curling a small weight.. it will help her either way. A lot of times it's not necessarily a strength issue as it is a strength APPLIED issue. She very well may be strong enough she's just not USING all of the strength required. Some people just don't know how tight you have to hold a firearm.. especially if they've started shooting on something that doesn't require a lot of grip like a heavy .22.

If she is using the cup and saucer technique she needs to learn proper hand technique cup and saucer lets the shooting hand recoil more the n the two hand hold with off hand gripping front of shooting hand with thumbs pointed forward
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    cup & saucer....didn't that technique go out with the presidents birth certificate?
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links