Do you carry spare magazines? - Page 2

Do you carry spare magazines?

This is a discussion on Do you carry spare magazines? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I am going to be out and about, I carry one extra mag. A quick run to the local convenience store; just what is ...

View Poll Results: How many spare magazines do you carry?

Voters
267. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0: just what is inserted in my firearm

59 22.10%

152 56.93%

50 18.73%
  • 3+

6 2.25%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Do you carry spare magazines?

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    If I am going to be out and about, I carry one extra mag. A quick run to the local convenience store; just what is in the gun.

Two all the time. You never know when ONE is going to fail.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

sgb
    Always
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

When on long trips (> 2 hrs), I usually carry a couple of spares...and then a BUG for Household-6 (and her spares).

Day-to-day....1 spare mag for those Murphy-induced malfunctions.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter64 View Post
    That's why I love this forum! Lot's of smart folks educating Noobs to concealed carry like me. I never thought of carrying a second for the mechanical failure aspects. That makes me realize that carrying an autoloader with only the mag in the gun is really inviting Murphy into the equation.
    You'll want to go back and read that thread I cited, initiated by adric22, then. There's *LOTS* of good debate and thoughts in there.

Usually carry my Glock 36 and a spare mag on my belt. Have one more in the glove box as well. If I'm carrying my S&W model 37 then 2 speed strips in the pocket. Also have a few speed strips in the glove box.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    2 extra 7-round mags for my Kel-tec PF-9 in a single nylon clip-on pouch (a cheapo from Amazon) when I'm away from home. 1 extra in my back pocket when in & around the house.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

+1 for pocket carry and+2 for belt carry. I always have at least one spare mag.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I can't imagine not carrying spare rounds. Then again, I'm either going to be carrying my RIA 1911 or my S&W revolver. In either case, I don't have all that many rounds, and being prepared with at least 1 extra clip/speed loader seems prudent to me.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I also carry 2 extra, one on me and one in the truck.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Always carry one extra with an autoloader, and two speed strips with a revolver. However as has been pointed out... There are locations where trouble is more likely than my usual haunts. Then I usually carry a spare gun instead of more spare ammo.
    But then I'm paranoid.

Spuk!

VIP Member
    I always carry at least 1 spare magazine, occasionally 2, regardless of what gun I happen to be carrying that day. I'm not worried about the extra rounds, it's the fact that your magazines are the weakest link in any semi-auto. In case of a malfunction, drop the one in the well and insert the spare.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    One extra on a belt holster. Regardless of carry piece.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I almost always carry a spare mag for the autoloader, for same reasons as above - never know when that mag will fail. for the revolver I carry an ammo pouch that holds 6 extra rounds, its alot more slim than a speed loader, though not nearly as fast on the reload. Just one of those calculated risks I guess.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

I always carry an extra mag, not for the ammo, but for the "just-in-case the main mag breaks" factor. I thought about carrying two spares for my 1911, but decided against it. I'll explain why and wonder if anyone else has thought the same thing.

In the event that you have to use your gun for defense, wouldn't it look bad in front of a potential jury that you had two or three spare magazines on your person. The prosecutor might try something like "if you just need to defend yourself, why do you need three magazines?"

Even with this thought, I still am thinking about carrying two extras for all of my handguns. Maybe one spare with my defense ammo and the other spare with FMJ just in case there is a feed problem or some sort of other factor.

Any thoughts?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links