Do you carry spare magazines?

This is a discussion on Do you carry spare magazines? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Always, many mechanical failures arise from the magazine having issues. I switch up my carry weapons so I also have an extra mag for each ...

View Poll Results: How many spare magazines do you carry?

Voters
267. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0: just what is inserted in my firearm

59 22.10%

152 56.93%

50 18.73%
  • 3+

6 2.25%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Do you carry spare magazines?

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Always, many mechanical failures arise from the magazine having issues. I switch up my carry weapons so I also have an extra mag for each gun I own in the car.

2. Remove Ads

Two spares (magazines or speed loaders/strips) plus a BUG.
    Semper Fi

I carry a spare mag. Once read a post about someone setting a mag on the counter and the base plate released emptying it. Seems a spare mag is a quick and easy fix to the problem.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I carry two mags/ speed loaders in every gun but my M&P.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by mattwestm View Post
    I always carry an extra mag, not for the ammo, but for the "just-in-case the main mag breaks" factor. I thought about carrying two spares for my 1911, but decided against it. I'll explain why and wonder if anyone else has thought the same thing.

In the event that you have to use your gun for defense, wouldn't it look bad in front of a potential jury that you had two or three spare magazines on your person. The prosecutor might try something like "if you just need to defend yourself, why do you need three magazines?"

Even with this thought, I still am thinking about carrying two extras for all of my handguns. Maybe one spare with my defense ammo and the other spare with FMJ just in case there is a feed problem or some sort of other factor.

Any thoughts?
    My first thought is that if the shooting was in self defense, why would you be prosecuted? My second thought is that if this was instead a civil lawsuit brought by the person you shot or their family they don't have to know that you are carrying extra magazines.

One extra and a 33 rounder in each vehicle.

Spare mags

I only cary 1 extra mag. for my carry gun, but I also carry a BUG j-frame and carry 3 speed strips.

I always carry one spare magazine, or two speed loaders for my j-frames.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I hate to say this but it depends on what holster I'm using that day/night. If I'm carrying my Galco, I've got a spare that's one short of being at full capacity. There is another mag in the holster but I don't have SD ammo for it yet.

If I'm carrying my Crossbreed holster/belt combo then I typically don't have a spare magazine with me. I need to figure out a way to carry a spare mag when I'm carrying my Crossbreed. I'm sure there's a carrier I can get for my belt.

I think its a good idea to have a spare mag because I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Its really not that much of an inconvenience to have a spare mag and it can pay huge dividends if you find yourself needing one. I doubt my mag in my gun will malfunction but redundancy is always nice to have.

VIP Member
    Spare mag?

I tote around a 50 cal. ammo can full of 9mm ammo.

If that doesnt do it, oh well.

JK.

1 mag.

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our street will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" Adolf Hitler, 1935
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by mattwestm View Post
    I always carry an extra mag, not for the ammo, but for the "just-in-case the main mag breaks" factor. I thought about carrying two spares for my 1911, but decided against it. I'll explain why and wonder if anyone else has thought the same thing.

In the event that you have to use your gun for defense, wouldn't it look bad in front of a potential jury that you had two or three spare magazines on your person. The prosecutor might try something like "if you just need to defend yourself, why do you need three magazines?"

Even with this thought, I still am thinking about carrying two extras for all of my handguns. Maybe one spare with my defense ammo and the other spare with FMJ just in case there is a feed problem or some sort of other factor.

Any thoughts?
    Can you cite an instance where carrying more than one mag has been a legal detriment? Otherwise, I think you're overthinking what might happen without any basis in fact.
    msc8127 likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

A large percentage of semi-auto pistol malfunctions are magazine related. Most SD shootings are two or three rounds, but there is no way to know how many round you may need in a self defense situation, or how many assailants you may have to deal with. There are statistics and averages, but there is no way to know for sure ahead of time. Be prepared.

Personally, every time I leave the house, I'm armed with at least one sidearm, at least one reload for each (whether semi-auto or revolver), a knife and mini flashlight. My thinking is; I really don't know when I will be able to get home again. I dress for the weather and always wear a good pair of shoes, which I may have to live in for a couple of days. Not only do I live in an earthquake zone, but I live in the shadow of Mr. St. Helens. Whether it be man-made or natural SHTF, I'm prepared to have to ditch my ride and spend a couple of days making my way home the best way I can. I keep a survival pack in the back of both of my vehicles, with food water and change of clothing, including shoes, along with various tools that may come in handy if I get stuck somewhere.

Carrying at least one spare is sound thinking. And thank you for not calling your reloading device a clip.
    msc8127 likes this.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

SOMETIMES. It just depends. If I go to Houston, I'll take an extra mag.

I carry a Beretta 92, though. I figure 15 rounds is enough.

When I carry my 92 compact, I sometimes carry an extra mag. That's 13 rounds, though.

When I carried a gun with 8 round mags, I always carried an extra mag.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    No spare. Just my gun and what's in it.

Always at least one extra reload, and usually two.

If I'm carrying a wheel gun, it's two, and sometimes three speed strips.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links