Do you carry spare magazines? - Page 4

Do you carry spare magazines?

This is a discussion on Do you carry spare magazines? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I mostly carry my XD40sc with 2 spare mags. I have 6 mags total for it....

View Poll Results: How many spare magazines do you carry?

Voters
267. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0: just what is inserted in my firearm

59 22.10%

152 56.93%

50 18.73%
  • 3+

6 2.25%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Do you carry spare magazines?

I mostly carry my XD40sc with 2 spare mags. I have 6 mags total for it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Cool

No extra mag when I carry the G-23 or G-19 but I carry a Diamondback .380 BUG.

When I carry The G-36 I carry an extra mag and the BUG.

photo.JPG Side Guard holster and mag holder
    click to enlarge.......
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Normaly I don't have an extra, at work I just carry my g27. A lot of moving and don't want the bulk, I know I should. When I carry my 1911 I always have an extra mag, I never know when it may fail. G36 always has a partner, she gets paired with a ruger lcp or a s&w 442 on the ankle. My snub nose 44 doesn't need extra

Well, it depends.
    Quick trip out the door-Carrying only whats in the gun. Calculated risk.
    Full day out-One spare mag. Slighty more risk.
    Headed to the city-One spare mag and a BUG. Just in case someone gets froggy!
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I carry one spare mag. I'm not really worried about a magazine related malfunction, I carry it for the additional ammo.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
    I carry one spare mag. I'm not really worried about a magazine related malfunction, I carry it for the additional ammo.

Jim
    Guns can jam for reasons not due to the gun or magazine under non paper target shooting conditions. As a former safety officer most times I was asked to assist a shooter involved jams that they could not fix by racking their slide. Seems like very few are trained to quickly recognize when to drop their mag to clear a jam. In any case, during competitions and training classes, previously reliable guns do jam no matter what guns they are. I can tell you from experience in actual combat and as 30+ years as a SO and RO, that it takes a lot more time to clear a jam that requires a mag removal when you have to maintain control of that mag than it does when you simply can let the mag drop to the ground and use a spare. There are other advantages to a spare mag in these situations. Usually in a jam that needs your mag to come out, the top bullet is not seated properly and needs to be push back into position. Most do not notice this and end up with another jam. Then there is always the possibility of the mag going bad and no way to tell that until you test it by trying it a few times. So you can end up reinserting that one mag you so carefully maintained control of only to have it fail to feed. Not a good time to be testing mags. I have a box of bad mags as do others who shoot competitively or attend training classes. It is like a car. If you only drive it carefully and seldom you can get by with never having a flat tire. For those who use it a lot a flat tire will eventually be in their future so it is prudent to have a spare tire.

As far as round count, 100 rounds does you no good when you only have time to get off 2 or 3. To think that you will prevail in a prolonged gun battle with multiple attackers is the stuff of movies. I have been there and done that.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Yes, if carrying an auto-pistol, somewhere from one to several, depending upon my perceived threat level for my travels on a particular day, and also depending upon whether I am carrying a double-column or single-column pistol. One, and sometime two spares is the norm if carrying my personally-owned duty P229 off the clock, but as my formerly stronger hand is weakened by chronic conditions, I prefer smaller-gripped weapons, when I have a choice. If carrying a single-column auto, 2+ spare mags is the norm.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I want to echo GunByte. When something goes wrong under stressful conditions, being able to rip out the mag and and insert a new one, if a simple tap-rack has failed, is a desirable option.

I don't carry and extra magizine. My Sig holds 15 in the mag and one in the chamber. The way I see it, if I can't stop a threat with 16 rounds of 9mm JHP, then having 15 more isn't going to do me much good. At that point, it's time to run....
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

I do not carry an extra mag when I carry. If I goo through 16rds and need more ammo, that means the s has really hit the fan and I need to be getting out of there.

But, practically speaking, I carry IWB and I don't have a IWB mag carrier at this point.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I normally carry 2 spare mags, one with SD ammo and one with plain ball ammo in case the SD mags cause problems.

VIP Member
    I always carry lots of extra ammo. As with many things in life, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I don't realy carry spares, just the ones I have for my side arm...
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

I carry spares in case of malfunction, not because I anticipate needing more than 17 rounds.

sent via iCarry

Still waiting on my permit, but plan to carry a spare 7 round mag for my XDS in a horizontal pouch.

I ordered this pouch from eBay for under $5 shipped. It came in today, and I couldn't be happier with it for the price. It fits the 7 round magazine (minus the backstrap) like it was made for it! Fits perfectly. Its snug but pulls out really smooth. He also sells a shorter pouch that would probably work perfectly for the 5 round mag. Of course I don't know how well it will hold up yet but its worth a try for the price. I have a 1.5" belt and any larger of a belt will not work.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links