As promised... Ruger LCR .357 Recoil demonstration...

This is a discussion on As promised... Ruger LCR .357 Recoil demonstration... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...and my first time using the SL Variant speed loaders. My opinion? The recoil is not bad and manageable, a little worse with the boot ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Doghandler
  • 1 Post By 10thmtn

Thread: As promised... Ruger LCR .357 Recoil demonstration...

...and my first time using the SL Variant speed loaders. My opinion? The recoil is not bad and manageable, a little worse with the boot grip than the tamer grip, but the boot grip manages to conceal much better. As for the SL Variant loaders, I love them, I didn't really have time to practice with these as of yet so I am a little slow and I have been using HKS for so long I want to twist instead of push and really need to focus in my mind until repetition sets in, and I found you really have to give it one good push to seat them properly, but I will speed up with more practice. This video was without movement to demonstrate what the recoil looks like in my hand when I am firing these potent rounds. FYI the golden sabers I carry are less recoil that both tested rounds. I had no issues getting every round into COM on the stationary targets.

If you are recoil sensitive I can understand how it might bother you, but if you intend to carry the most potent rounds possible in your snub, I suggest you carry the +P .38's and practice with the .357 rounds until you get "desensitized" and accurate with them. I use this weapon as my everyday carry in my small rural town usually with a couple speed strips or a speed loader with Remington Golden Saber 125Gr JHP. When I venture out of town I swap it for my G29SF 10mm with 10+1 and 15 or 20 rd backup mags all sporting Buffalo Bore "hot loads" 180gr JHP. When I need to go deep conceal it is my Keltec P3AT sporting buffalo bore "+p" 90gr JHP. I rotate between these three weapons based upon situation. I carry this more often than anything else in my collection and I do not feel under gunned with it.

All I can say is it was HOT out there Saturday and that was more of an inconvenience than the recoil. Yeah it kicks, but I have fired much worse, like my smith scandium j frame or my vaquero in 44 mag. I can empathize with those who are recoil sensitive however. But I consider it less than a handful.

I made the link unlisted so please don't embed on other sites or forums or I will have to pull it; I made it specifically for this forum. I appreciate it very much:

YouTube - ‪Ruger LCR .357 Recoil Demonstration‬‏

2. Remove Ads

Id have to describe it as manageable as well. I got mine two weeks ago and have put about 500 total rounds through it(200 .38 specials, 200 +P's, and a hundred .357's). The .357s are rough but the tamer grips work as advertised. It does take a bit to get used to but I love this snub. It is my first snub. Being a .357, I practice with .38's and keep familiar with the .357's. For defense I keep her loaded with .357's. I can hit just as well with them as the .38's just a little slower on the follow up shots.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    azchevy, you are cheating the recoil. I see a firm, relaxed grip, bent elbow, relaxed shoulder. This suspension system acts to alleviate some of the pain from your hand. I've only shot 20 rounds of .357 (Hornady 158 gr. XTP) through my LCR and I can testify that the one handed shot is less punishing than...

You need to get out there in a rigid isosceles stance and shoot some groups like a real man.

Great job showing how to handle a high powered belly gun, Bro!
    357and40 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    ...and my first time using the SL Variant speed loaders. My opinion? The recoil is not bad and manageable, a little worse with the boot grip than the tamer grip, but the boot grip manages to conceal much better. As for the SL Variant loaders, I love them, I didn't really have time to practice with these as of yet so I am a little slow and I have been using HKS for so long I want to twist instead of push and really need to focus in my mind until repetition sets in, and I found you really have to give it one good push to seat them properly, but I will speed up with more practice.
    I use Safariland speedloaders for revolvers, including a J-frame, and something that you may try to speed up your reloads is to hold on to the cylinder and frame with your left hand (assuming you are right-handed from the video) as you open the cylinder and loading with your right. It is hard to tell from the video but it loooks like you were having trouble with the cylinder moving around while you were trying to load and that should prevent that, also it may be easier for you to line everything up that way since most people are better able to perform tasks that require fine motor skills with their strong hand. Of course, as you mentioned, regardless of technique practice makes perfect. Thanks for the demo.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerMan View Post
    I use Safariland speedloaders for revolvers, including a J-frame, and something that you may try to speed up your reloads is to hold on to the cylinder and frame with your left hand (assuming you are right-handed from the video) as you open the cylinder and loading with your right. It is hard to tell from the video but it loooks like you were having trouble with the cylinder moving around while you were trying to load and that should prevent that, also it may be easier for you to line everything up that way since most people are better able to perform tasks that require fine motor skills with their strong hand. Of course, as you mentioned, regardless of technique practice makes perfect. Thanks for the demo.
    You are absolutely correct, I need to practice speed loaders. I typically carry a NY reload or speed strips. I need a lot of practice. Thanks for the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerMan View Post
    This is what Mas Ayoob teaches, and what I used to do when I had my SP101 with HKS speed loaders. It does work!

Nice video!
    Old School likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    re-loading during fire, than it is known that the ejector is long enough to make the mt's fall away clear.
    if not--wrong gun for to be re-loading under fire. so to continue--

last bang, strong hand thumb pushes latch and index finger pushes cylinder open...the muzzle is up

left hands has reload in it and is coming from the muzzle to the rear and the back of its hand is smacking hard the ejector--small ouch
    all mts have been dumped and the muzzle now goes toward the floor as you dump the 6 fresh rounds in and use the palm of the left hand to close the cylinder.
    -----------------------

no timer and it felt like a long time....perhaps 2 seconds.
    I'll try some re-loading split times at the range next week.
    no way Jerry has me to worry about, but I'm thinking 1 second with some practice.

good vireo. and shunting recoil in different directions is being resourceful.....good moves.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Temperature 116 degrees. Yer a better man than I am Gunga Din. Good video.

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    re-loading during fire, than it is known that the ejector is long enough to make the mt's fall away clear.
    if not--wrong gun for to be re-loading under fire. so to continue--

last bang, strong hand thumb pushes latch and index finger pushes cylinder open...the muzzle is up

left hands has reload in it and is coming from the muzzle to the rear and the back of its hand is smacking hard the ejector--small ouch
    all mts have been dumped and the muzzle now goes toward the floor as you dump the 6 fresh rounds in and use the palm of the left hand to close the cylinder.
    -----------------------

no timer and it felt like a long time....perhaps 2 seconds.
    I'll try some re-loading split times at the range next week.
    no way Jerry has me to worry about, but I'm thinking 1 second with some practice.

good vireo. and shunting recoil in different directions is being resourceful.....good moves.
    In the past I have practiced the NY reload method by having the p3at on me with an extra mag, or by loading two rounds at a time with a speedstrip. I am going to work on the speedloaders

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    N Y re-load, unless your grab for it is part of multi-tasking, takes a moment and---it is a caliber (or 2) downsized

a round reload is like a magazine is to your semi--about as fast as it gets. a speed strip is better than fumbling lose shells and it is thinner.
    thats the end of nice i can say about it.

so tied for what to practice is round re-loaders & NY 2nd gun acquisition. followed by all else that you have to practice to satisfy the what-ifs and Murphy visitations.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Thanks for the video. I appreciate your effort. While watching, I was convinced I'm on the right track practicing my NY reload.
    NRA Life Member

I'll say it again, You are more man than me! LOL

That was a good demo. I guess I just got wussified shooting 9mm so long. After seeing this I gotta cowboy up this friday when I hit the range again!
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Nice demo. One thing though, I thought I saw you at least once sling the cylinder closed one handed (like they do in the movies). That ain't good for it.
    Glock Certified Armorer

Cool

Thanks for the video.

Mas Ayoob's style reload is the way to go. You will like it though sometimes the cylinder/ frame can get a tad warm with rapid fire.

When I shot the LCR in .38 spl. with 158 gr. +p loads I took a high hold on the grip and the recoil was more controlable for me and my shot placement was better due to the lower bore axis in my hand.

I bought the SP-101 because after shooting the LCR with .38 spl +p I knew that the recoil in .357 would beat this old guy up a bit to much and I wanted a .357.

photo.jpg
    click to enlarge......
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Links