Glock 29 in 10 MM

This is a discussion on Glock 29 in 10 MM within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have any experience with this gun? or with the cartridge itself? How manageable is the recoil? I have read that it is close ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm

Thread: Glock 29 in 10 MM

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar

Glock 29 in 10 MM

Does anyone have any experience with this gun? or with the cartridge itself? How manageable is the recoil? I have read that it is close to or the same as a .357 Magnun in power. How does the recoil compare vs a SP101 for instance? Since I am about to buy a .357 magnum I would appreciate any comments.

2. Remove Ads

Recoil is non existent even with buffalo bore hotloads

It is not bad in recoil with real full house 10mm loads, and it easily overpowers the 357 in heavier bullet weights.
    TonyDTrigger likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I have mine loaded with Double Tap 180 grain and my 12 year old shoots it and loves it. For a compact it is fairly heavy and recoil is easily tolerated. It's a fantastic CCW. shooting production target ammo is no different IMO than a hot 9mm load.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Remember the 10mm is an autoloader (most of the time). Much of the recoil is absorbed by the gun's operation. I have a S&W 1006 which is a pleasure to shoot. Recoil in the SP101 is stouter since you feel the full force in a revolver. I also have a S&W 610 10mm revolver, but it is very heavy and the recoil pretty tame.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

It's a great round! Good for ccw and or hunting. I have had a few delta elites before and carry one daily. Looked at a g20 because I couldn't find a 29. Working on getting a Fusion Grandsport double stack long slide for double duty.

I have one and love it. To me it it is the ultimate power/ small package carry gun, as I don't mind the thickness.

I carry either the DoubleTap 125g Barnes load at 1600 or the Equalizer I think its called,.. the one with a 135 HP over a 95g ball at 1050

The recoil isn't that bad. It's stiff, but it pushes as opposes to flips which I like. Since the G29 is thicker, make sure you hold one before you buy it because your hands may have a harder time making a secure purchase without a pinky extension. You'll also find no matter how high you try to hold your hand it will slip down a bit even with some grip tape.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

I think this is going to be my 2nd Glock, the G20 (or g29). Look at this article this month. A police department here in FL is replacing their SIGs with Glock 20s. If the FBI would have had the G20 instead of the Colt they probably would still be using the 10 mm today.

I read some ballistics reports which say that the 10mm has more energy at 100 yards than the .45 at the muzzle, plus the recoil is less than that of a .45. I do not understand why this cartridge is not more popular.

Police department gets new weapons system - Sun Sentinel
    Last edited by TonyDTrigger; June 30th, 2011 at 12:13 PM.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    I think this is going to be my 2nd Glock, the G20 (or g29). Look at this article this month. A police department here in FL is replacing their SIGs for Glock 20s. If the FBI would have had the G20 instead of the the Colt they probably would still be using the 10 mm today.

I read some ballistics reports which say that the 10mm has more energy at 100 yards than the .45 at the muzzle, plus the recoil is less than that of a .45. I do not understand why this cartridge is not more popular.

Police department gets new weapons system - Sun Sentinel
    I think the ammo is expensive. I've never had one or have even shot one but have heard that its a good round. I read some threads some time ago that talked about prohibitive expense and sometimes I think availability for the round isn't great. Others here would be able to do a better job at substantiating these beliefs, etc.

I thought about getting one at one time. I thought it would be really cool to have a full size Glock in 10 mm to keep on the nightstand...with a laser...;-) After I read about ammo availability, I started to reconsider. I still might get one someday. There's an awesome video I saw on Youtube where a guy takes a Glock 10mm and drops a wild hog. He shot a running hog and dropped him in an instance. Its a very competent round.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

I have a 29 that I carry. I also have a 357 Sig and 40 S&W conversion BBL for more versitility of the Glock 29
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Here is a video of me working the Buffalo Bore 180gr JHP out of my G29SF. this is when I JUST got it and I was waiting for my Fricke Archangel to arrive so I picked up a 20 buck OWB Fobus holster to temporarily use. Please do not link to other forums. Thanks

YouTube - ‪Glock 29SF 10MM With Buffalo Bore 180 Gr JHP‬‏

Here it is proper with the Fricke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkwQIXgmvzQ

Awesome! Azchevy you make it look like the gun has almost no recoil.

Thanks you all for your comments. I decided on the G29 right after I found the 12 round magazines available at Gunparts.com.

I was about to buy a G29 when the sales person told me they have a G29SF. I don't see this on the Glock web site. I wonder if anyone could tell me what the difference is between the 2.

Links