M&P performance

This is a discussion on M&P performance within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took it out to the range the other day. I had not shot a 357 SIG before. I am impressed with both the weapon and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: M&P performance

M&P performance

Took it out to the range the other day. I had not shot a 357 SIG before. I am impressed with both the weapon and the cartridge. The 357 SIG is indeed a very accurate cartridge, shooting tighter double taps than any I had shot before (understand that while I am no stranger to guns, I am new to serious handgun shooting). I did have one FTF, but that was while practicing mag changes, and I did not slap the magazine in hard enough. Seems as though they slap in easy enough with slide lock, but if there is still one in the pipe you need to be quite assertive during a reload. I asked a guy about it, and he said his Glock is the same way. Other than that, a fine gun and an exceptional cartridge.

2. Remove Ads

I have a 40 and a 357 sig barrel for my M&P compact and my Sig P229. I flip flop back and forth between which is shooting 40 & which is shooting 357 sig. Yesterday I flipped the barrels and I am now carrying 357 sig in the M&P on my hip & 357 magnum on my ankle in the 360.

When the tickle fancies me I will be back to 40 in the M&P...

The 357 sig round is super easy to control & just SIZZLES!!!! There are several reasons the Secret Service adopted this round, among them is the fact that they do not tend to misfeed due to the shape of the cartridge. I train to slap the mag in hard regardless of situation. I figure that I should always train as if dealing with a stress situation so when I am actually stressed it will be second nature.

One caliber I don't have yet is 357 Sig,I'm seriously thinking about either getting a barrel for my 229 40,or buying an M&P 357 sig ,I already have bought a 9c and 45c.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    ...There are several reasons the Secret Service adopted this round, among them is the fact that they do not tend to misfeed due to the shape of the cartridge. ...
    Yah, and they need a controllable round to shoot through car doors, windshields, walls, doors, etc.

I got a 12 gauge for that!

I don't see much choice in ammo for the .357 Sig yet and it's been around for a while.

Hi all. I've 50 years shooting experience but new to this site. How's the kick on the 357 compared to the 40? The OP mentioned shooting tighter double taps. I carried a .357 mag for 20 years and now carry the M&P 40.

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Secret Service adopted this round
    Can you cite your sources, please?
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

I love my M&P .40c. I've lost count of how many rounds I've put through it, but I'd guesstimate around 3000. Never had a single FTF.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Count your chads for the .357 SIG - Cop Talk | American Handgunner | Find Articles at BNET
    INccwchris likes this.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

You want sizzle, get a 10mm. or better yet... 9x25 Dillon.
    deadguy likes this.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    Yah, and they need a controllable round to shoot through car doors, windshields, walls, doors, etc.

I got a 12 gauge for that!

I don't see much choice in ammo for the .357 Sig yet and it's been around for a while.
    Why need "choice in ammo" when basic ball ammo & a good defensive is available? Georgia Arms canned heat for the range & Doube Tap for defensive....

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    .357 SIG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The SIG-Sauer P229 in .357 SIG is currently one of the standard issue firearms carried by special agents and Uniformed Division officers of the United States Secret Service, the Bureau of Industry and Security, the Bastrop County, Texas, Sheriff's Office, Delaware State Police, Rhode Island State Police, Alameda County Sheriff's Office, Virginia State Police, Federal Air Marshals, Montana Highway Patrol, and the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration. The Pennsylvania Game Commission replaced the .357 Mag. with the .357 SIG. In most cases, it has replaced 10 mm, .40 S&W and 9 mm loads. In 1995, the Texas Highway Patrol became the first government agency to implement the .357 SIG. The Tennessee Highway Patrol presently issues the Glock 31 pistol chambered in .357 SIG. The Mississippi Highway Patrol issues a special Mississippi model of the Glock 31 Generation 4 with their logo engraved on the weapon.[20][21] The Bedford Heights Police Department in Ohio currently issues the Glock 31/32/33. The Elloree Police Department in South Carolina Elloree Police also issues the Glock 31, .357 SIG and the Madison Police Department in Madison, WV issues the Glock 32 in .357 SIG. The Lexington Police Department in North Carolina issues the Sig P229 DAK in .357 Sig. The Oklahoma Highway Patrol issues the SIG-Sauer P226 in .357 SIG. The Paramus Police Department in New Jersey also issues the SIG P226 in .357 SIG. The West Grove Borough Police Department, West Grove PA, also carry the SIG-Sauer P226 in the .357 SIG caliber. The North Carolina State Highway Patrol uses Smith & Wesson M&P's chambered in .357 SIG The Herculaneum Police Department in Herculaneum, Missouri uses the P226 and P229 in .357 SIG
    The Secret Service adopted the round in 2009.
    INccwchris likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbear View Post
    Hi all. I've 50 years shooting experience but new to this site. How's the kick on the 357 compared to the 40? The OP mentioned shooting tighter double taps. I carried a .357 mag for 20 years and now carry the M&P 40.
    My personal experience has been that the 357 sig has a kick ROUGHLY in the middle between that of 9mm and 40. I have heard other people that felt that the round was closer to 40.

I honestly didn't know that a federal law enforcment agency adopted the .357 SIG. Come to find out, it is standard issue for several law enforcement agencies, including countless state and local agencies. I stand corrected.

In the past the lack of availability of the round had me questioning the round. I often wondered if it was a good round, or another mistake.

Thanks for the education.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

If you were local I would offer you to come to the range & shoot a box with me. It really surprised me at how flat a trajectory the 357 sig has over distance.

I have talked with some LEO buddies about using rounds like the 357 sig and how a zealous prosecutor may hone in on it & the one thing I keep coming back to is that I follow the example of our local and national law enforcement. If it is good enough of a round to protect the President, and the folks that choose the equipment to do so must have done their research, it is good enough for me.

That is a great reason to pick Winchester PDX-1 ammo - it is endorsed by the FBI...

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    its very nice
    multistage likes this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links