Beretta 92 FS vs A1

Beretta 92 FS vs A1

This is a discussion on Beretta 92 FS vs A1 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I still need a 9mm. What is the difference between the two? I know the A1 has a rail, three mags vs two, and 17 ...

Thread: Beretta 92 FS vs A1

Beretta 92 FS vs A1

I still need a 9mm. What is the difference between the two? I know the A1 has a rail, three mags vs two, and 17 rounds vs 15. Are those the only differences?

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    The A1 seems to be a little better balanced due to the extra weight in the mag, it shoots a bit better in my opinion and when I was USAF aux thats what we trained and qualified on was the A1. I would go for the extra money and get the A1 if i was the one spending it
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I personally prefer the 92FS the best. I have eight 92s (different varients), and I have also previously owned other models... After a lot of use, I think the 92FS balances best out of all 92s. The 92A1 is my second favorite...

The 92A1 is the newest release of the 92 - It was released in the summer of 2010. This design takes some of the best aspects of the 90-Two... The rail, internal recoil buffer and dovetailed front sight (all great changes), and puts it into a more "normal" 92 frame. The 92A1 (and 96A1) will use standard Beretta 92 grips. The trigger guard is curved; however, like that of the 90-Two. The guiderod is also captured (which is a pro or con, depending on who you ask).

In addition - the slide is a little bit beefier than a standard 92 slide.

The gun is available in 9mm and 40 cal (the 96A1), and the 9mm version comes with THREE 17 round factory mags (the same mags that come with the 90-Two). These guns are only made in Italy.

I find that the 92A1 balances the best in a 1 handed grip out of any of the railed models. I also personally find the 92A1 is my second fav Beretta 92 variant - right behind the standard 92FS (which balances the best 1 handed, IMHO).

There is also finally aftermarket night sights for the 92A1 from Trijicon now. And, while others may disagree - I personally like the regular front and rear strap serrations over the checkering on the M9A1. The checkering is rather shallow - so its not nearly as grippy as checkering on a 1911. I think the standard serrations on the front and back strap give a better grip.

Beretta's answer on recoil

Hey guys I have also been looking into purchasing a 92 series pistol. I have looked and looked and looked and never found a definitive answer as to recoil differences in recoil between the original vs new 92 series pistols. Well I email the folks at beretta and this is what they had to say:

ME: Dear sirs,

In my quest for a nice heavy all-metal 9mm handgun with the least recoil in the industry I have come to these two pistols. I have read differening opinions on 92A1 having less recoil than the original 92FS. Is this true? Having shot both pistols does the newer pistol really recoil less than the standard series 9mm? If there is anybody who would know the answer to this question I'm sure somebody at Beretta is them. Finally which pistol would be better for suppression? I need to know for sure, as I am on the verge of purchasing one.

Thank you for your time.

Beretta:

Thank you for contacting Beretta Customer Support.

Both pistols are designed to have the same recoil impulse. The buffer in the A1 can reduce muzzle flip slightly, but it will not significantly reduce felt recoil.

Best regards,

Beretta Customer Support

I was wanting the classic style, but this seals the deal for me. 92A1 it is.

I have nine 92 variants... M9A1, 92A1s, 92FS, 92 compact.

The compact has a tiny bit more recoil.

Honestly - the difference between the 92A1 and the 92FS, recoil wise, is almost the same. You won't really tell much difference.

I personally like the balance of the standard 92FS the best. But, I do have two 92A1s, and they are great guns

Sponsored Links