Talk to me about the Glock 21 - Page 2

Talk to me about the Glock 21

This is a discussion on Talk to me about the Glock 21 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Glock-21 is not my EDC, I could not see it replacing my Glock-36...obviously a bigger grip and the size is much more difficult to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about the Glock 21

My Glock-21 is not my EDC, I could not see it replacing my Glock-36...obviously a bigger grip and the size is much more difficult to conceal.
    It is a 'bit' bigger than my 36, but it shoots just as well.
    I bought the Surfire X-300 and put it on my Glock-21, she sits in my bedside drawer and is a great night time/HD weapon...with 13+1 shots of .45, the only bump in the night should/will be laying on the floor.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carried one for 5 years in an SS-III holster and the weight of it was felt even in that rig.

It was given to me by the department upon retiring but I would not see me buying one on my own.

It fits my hand and I shoot it well enough but for a concealed carry weapon it is awfully big.

I have carried it a few times in cooler weather under a jacket or sweatshirt and it is comforting but big and heavy.

Like retsupt99 says it is perfect to keep bedside but like him I have a G-36 for when I feel like carrying a .45 ACP.

My G-23 is my primary carry and I feel it will do what the G-21 will do in a smaller package.

If the ones you are looking at have night sights and 3 high cap mags and in good shape then they are worth $400.

My $.02
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Let me first say that Glock is the gun I tried to hate for years. I think for your intended purpose , it would be hard to beat. Dedicated high cap 45 with wml for HD.

I think Glock is a great choice for those who place emphasis in function and utility.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post

Sixto, was the grip thickness the issue?
    Yes. But, if one has hands like the Grape Ape, it would make a excellent gun. It also doesn't conceal well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm leaning towards a GLOCK 30 SF myself, I want a reliable .45 acp (my 1911's and PT945 are not reliable). I've never shot a 21 but I know a few LEO's that carry them (duty) and love them. It would be too big to conceal but great for a range gun or HD use. Like others have said picking up one for $400.00 is probably well worth it. You can be sure the pistol will work and work well.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

The 21 is a big gun, but so is a Govt Model 1911. Before you write off the 21 for grip go handle the SF model. I am 6'3" 285, and I have really small hands for my size and I can do the 21. It is hella accurate, and what is not to like about 13+1 of .45. My friend up in your neck of the woods has an SF with a WML/Laser attached and a 30 round mag for his Kriss Super V hanging out the bottom for his night stand gun. He also has the Super V. He said if they could get past his 31 rounds of .45 and the 12 ga in the corner they could have his house. LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I currently own a g30, and it's big for CC. Inkeep that guy at home until Fall/winter when my jacket can carry it. I use a Ruger LCP for CC in the spring/summer.

I've played with pretty much every striker-fired, polymer .45acp pistol out there--Glock, M&P, XD...and the G21 is the best of 'em.

I may part with my Glocks, someday (coming more & more to love the 1911)...but my G21 would be the last one to go.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Good enough price to give serious consideration, IMO. Given the choice, I would go for the G30-shorter barrel, great shooter, flawless operation, and a decent carry-although a bit thick (as is the 21). That said, at 400, I would find the 21 very hard to pass up.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I don't think the 21 was ever intended for CC use, but some can and do use it for that, just as some can conceal a full-size 1911. I think it's a great platform for HD or a "truck gun." But probably not the best choice for CC.

Plan on the 21 feeling "different," just as anything other than a 1911 will feel different. My G30 feels different than my S&W 4566 (which feels better) but I shoot about the same with either.

I think the 21 will make a great range/HD firearm, but for CC you might handle a G30. I pop in a G21 mag when I'm home, giving the capacity of the 21.

In the end, only you can say if you like the 21 well enough to own one. Put a few rounds thru one if you get the chance--you may like it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

If it wasn't for the price, I probably wouldn't even be considering it. And I wouldn't try to use it as a CC gun. I am perfectly happy with my 1911 set-up. Thanks all for the input so far.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Why Not A 30sf or a 30

I cc a G26 and like most of us decided I needed another carry option in a larger caliber weapon. I did a ton of research on G30's and ended up with a G30sf with grip extensions. I think its better than sliced bread. I heard every one complain about the thickness, I don't even notice. I am 5'-11" 195lbs I carry IWB with no issues wearing my normal blue jeans or shorts with a T-shirt. The G21 was way to big for my grip. they do have a 21sf short frame. The short frame is noted on the side of the weapon. I believe it shortens the back of the grip to the trigger 3mm. It may vary on different models not sure.

IMO the G30sf shoots better than most large frame weapons I have fired. I am a slight bit more accurate with my G26 but am deadly with both.
    Last edited by ConcealedG30; June 29th, 2011 at 12:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedG30 View Post
    I cc a G26 and like most of us decided I needed another carry option in a larger caliber weapon. I did a ton of research on G30's and ended up with a G30sf with grip extensions. I think its better than sliced bread. I heard every one complain about the thickness, I don't even notice. I am 5'-11" 195lbs I carry IWB with no issues wearing my normal blue jeans or shorts with a T-shirt. The G21 was way to big for my grip. they do have a 21sf short frame. The short frame is noted on the side of the weapon. I believe it shortens the back of the grip to the trigger 3mm. It may vary on different models not sure.

IMO the G30sf shoots better than most large frame weapons I have fired. I am a slight bit more accurate with my G26 but am deadly with both.
    Because the gun store didn't get in a batch of 30's or 30sf's at a good price. Just 21's, 22's, and 23's. And .40 isn't my thing, so that leaves the 21 out of this group.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Just like most have said here, if you can deal with the grip its an excellent gun to have. I have the SF version and it sits near my bed at night waiting for that bump in the night if it should ever come. I've CC'ed it once or twice but it was with one of my generous(big) shirts. It was the one time I truly felt the weight of my CCW. Felt good to have that kind of fire power mobile though.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Buckeye .45,
    I have both a P220 and a Glock 21 SF (the new "slim frame" with slightly smaller grip dimensions). The first thing I did when I brought the G21 home is to add a set of Meprolights, and "shave" off the finger grooves (or raised areas) on the front of the grip. Since then, my G21 has been as flawless as my P220 in operation, as accurate, and even easier to maintain. Mounted with a Streamlight TRL-1 and stoked with 14 rounds of Remington 230 gr. ball, it's my backup HD weapon (after my 870 Police Magnum). In short, I love my Glock 21, and as others have stated, every gun owner should have at least one Glock, and the G21 is arguably the best of the breed.
    g21right.jpg
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links