Talk to me about the Glock 21

This is a discussion on Talk to me about the Glock 21 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let me start off by saying, I have no intentions on giving up on my beloved 1911 platform. I like it too much, it shoots ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about the Glock 21

Let me start off by saying, I have no intentions on giving up on my beloved 1911 platform. I like it too much, it shoots too well for me, and I have so much invested in good carry gear for it, that I don't see a switch coming anytime soon. But I do have an affinity for full sized .45 pistols, and tend to want one of all of them.

A LGS currently has a good deal going on Glock 21's, and I kind of want one. Right now my only Glock is a 36, which fits a niche for me between a 1911, and a j-frame in the carry spectrum. I long said that was the only Glock that really appealed to me. But, I do like the way that it shoots for me, and the way it carries. So, is the 21 something worth checking out? I think that as an HD gun, I would like the ability to mount a WML, and the extra mag capacity over my 1911.

So, I expect all my fellow 1911 guys to call me nuts, and the glockophiles to tell me to get it. But, are there any major issues with the platform? Anything to look out for? Any input is appreciated.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    I can't get the guns full potential out of it, its just to big. If you can deal with that, its an excellent gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    I wanted to like mine, but I just couldn't, maybe Glocks and I just don't get along but I took the HK45 like ducks to water...

I'd take a look at almost any other polymer .45 such as the M&P or FNP unless you want to shell out the $$$ for an Hk45 but that's only two more rounds.

Well, the only reason this option came up is the store got a batch of police trade in's for under $400. I'm not dead set on it, but for that price it seems hard to go wrong.

JD, what particularly didn't you like?

Sixto, was the grip thickness the issue?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Well, the only reason this option came up is the store got a batch of police trade in's for under $400. I'm not dead set on it, but for that price it seems hard to go wrong.

JD, what particularly didn't you like?

Sixto, was the grip thickness the issue?
    I just didn't like the way it shot, or how thick the slide is, or the grip for that matter, overall it just never "felt right . I shot it "ok" up close but at distance we just never got a long.

I'm a civilian and I carry concealed. The Glock 21 is the only gun I ever traded away because I just could not carry it. It was too big, and I'm not at all a small guy.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I just didn't like the way it shot, or how thick the slide is, or the grip for that matter, overall it just never "felt right . I shot it "ok" up close but at distance we just never got a long.
    I think I am going to need to go handle one and see how it feels. I know that the 36 has a significantly different grip angle than most Glocks, which might be one reason I like it. But I don't recall ever even putting hands on a 21, unlike most of the other full sized glocks. So this is my "exploratory committee" to see what the guru's think, to see if I think it is worth the trip.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Senior Moderator
    I hate Glicks...gloaks...gleeks...glooks...I mean Glocks.

Now that we got that out of the way...

They are good guns. They do what they are supposed to. I have never picked up a Glock that was not accurate.
    For years I bad mouthed them every chance I got. One day on a challenge, I shot someone elses G21 at a police qualification.

I shot an expert score with it. Aced it in fact, 250 out of 250. That was the cause of much ribbing and some embarassment.
    Yeah, it worked and it worked well. While it wasnt the best feeling gun in my hand, there were zero issues with it.

Me, being a Sig man, hated the way that it felt in the hand. In comparison to the Sig, the Glock had the ergonomics of a 2x4 with such an ugly look that it hurt my eyes to look upon it. The grip angle sucks. Close your eyes, put the Glock in your shooting hand and visualize shooting the gun at a target on the wall. Then open your eyes and you will see that the Glock is pointing way high over the target.

In spite of the above, it shot like a dream. Its not the most compact gun or the easiest to conceal as it is a big pistol. Lots of people with little hands just cant seem to shoot one very well because it's just too much. In most situations that I have encountered where people had difficulty shoot the G21, just moving to a 9mm or .40 with the smaller grip was a major improvement for them.

Lots of people think that they are the best thing since sliced bread. Since I own a Sig .45, HK .45 numerous 1911 .45's I know better. The G21 is the last thing I will pick up if I am going to burn a bunch of ammo. Even so, I carry one on patrol and feel quite comfortable with it...I know that it will save my life if I do my part and the Lord dont see fit to take me home.

With that being said...the best thing you can do it pick one up and get a feel for it. Shoot it or one like it if you can. Only you can be the judge of how it works for you. The Glock is like an ugly woman...you can overlook a lot of faults if she performs for you. If you dont like it for some reason, move on to something else.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Hotguns, just to clarify, are you comparing it to my P220 I take it?

Because I have one of those that keeps trying to sneak in the line up and take away range time from my 1911's. And after the last couple of trips it is succeeding.

I really need another .45 like I need a sucking chest wound, but the thought still intrigues me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Senior Moderator
    I was really comparing it to my 220. For 10 years I carried a 220 on duty and then had to switch to the G21. I thought it was taking a step backwards, but for a dept. the Glocks are a lot cheaper than the Sigs, so, thats what they went with.

On the other hand...really, no gun collection is complete without a Glock or two. In fact, I have the 9mm and the 40 to go with it, even though I'll pick up a Sig,or an HK or a 1911 just about everytime.

I've got enough guns that the "need" for one went away years ago. The only thing hampering me now is the "want".

I say go for it. You cant go wrong really and if you decided you dont like it, they are easy to get rid of...although I dont get rid of anything nowadays. Look at it as a good trading piece when the SHTF. At some point in time a G21 with a holster and a few mags will be worth a fortune.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

I say go for it. You cant go wrong really and if you decided you dont like it, they are easy to get rid of...although I dont get rid of anything nowadays. Look at it as a good trading piece when the SHTF. At some point in time a G21 with a holster and a few mags will be worth a fortune.
    I'll think about it, there is another option currently floating around that I am considering too. There really is nothing else I "need" in my collection either, at least that is what my family tells me. My mind tells me something else.

but judging from the responses already on here, it seems that the market is probably overflowing with used 21's as most so far have said they have dumped theirs.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I am a big guy and I gotta tell you the G21 is the only Glock I have really taken a liking too. Its a good proven round, reliable as a rock, and its a platform that has shown itself to be a household name. For the guy who owns no Glocks and prefers a Springfield XDM to say the G21 is a hell of a gun is a hell of a statement
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Having owned and shot one since the 90's, here's my .02. I sent mine off to Robar to do a grip reduction, but only on the backstrap (no finger grooves anyway).

It was a transformation. It lost the Glock hump and I didn't have to crab my hand around to hit the mag release anymore.

It is the softest shooting .45 I've ever fired, including all steel full size 1911s. I was thoroughly prepared to hate all Glocks in general. I didn't like the trigger or how it felt in the hand and only carried SIGs. Since the P220 is actually my wife's, when I retired and could actually carry a .45, I broke it out.

I've fired everything I could get my hands on, hardball, JHP, Wolf steel cased, and even 185 gr. lead wadcutter reloads and it NEVER malfunctioned. I know the stories about the kabooms and have seen the pictures. I don't mix lead and jacketed rounds. If I shoot lead, I will shoot lead all day, the above load and 230 gr. LRN. More smoke, more clean up, never a problem. For that matter, cleaning usually consisted of running a boresnake through the barrel right after shooting sessions. If I'm switching from lead to jacketed, it get the traditional field strip and bore brushes. The Glocks need MINIMAL lube. I'm talking 1 drop on the lube points.

I did have 1 problem. After a long couple of weeks of classes at Front Sight, I noticed my rounds were impacting just left of my POI. After I pierced a hostages ear I broke it down and gave the exterior a good cleaning. I was pushing left because the left side of my front site was wearing away. I saw a sliver of plastic curlicuing of the left side on the front sight. The wear was subtle and I still had hard focus on the front sight, I just didn't notice that there was more daylight on one side of my sight picture than usual so I replaced the front sight with a steel Glock front sight. Some day I'll changeout that rear sight to before some of the crazier malfunction scenarios pop that plastic one right off.

Don't buy +2s for your mags UNLESS you upgrade the magazine spring. Now, my friend, you have 9mm capacity (15 +1) firing double the size bullets as the 115 gr 9mm.

Tactical reloads are surprising easy with those big heavy mags; I use the one handed technique and the transition with two big magazines in motion in one hand.

Sorry about the book. Bottom line, get one for the price and have them throw in some duty gear, holster and magpouch. The grip can be shaped and textured any was you like it. Put sturdy steel sights on it and you have a great gun.

For $400, I'd get one too. You can't go wrong and if you change your mind, you could easily sell it to the next guy for a profit.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

I rented one once.

I actually liked it quite a bit. Wasn't too big for my hands, although my sister who was also at the range that day could not activate the slide release or even the magazine release. The grip was too bulky for her, I guess. Worked fine for me.

Shot quite nicely (I was surprised, to be honest), and I had great accuracy with it.

All in all, I liked the Glock 21, although yes, it does have a bulky grip. But if your hands fits it, you won't really notice.

jyo
    Well, I am not a glock fan---don't care for the grip angle---now having said that, one of my shooting buddies has a Glock 21 45 ACP and I have shot it a lot---it always works and actually shoots better for me then it does for him (he hates that!)---which is quite well! If I owned a 21, I would feel well armed, as does he. My favorite 45, at this time, is my HK 45C.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links