Sub Compact or smaller for everyday carry

This is a discussion on Sub Compact or smaller for everyday carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hi im trying to decide what to get for a everyday carry gun if i should get something like the xdm sub compact or if ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Sub Compact or smaller for everyday carry

Sub Compact or smaller for everyday carry

hi im trying to decide what to get for a everyday carry gun if i should get something like the xdm sub compact or if i should go with something like the lcp or lc9 i want something that is comfortable to carry iwb so i will carry all the time.
    Thanks in advance

2. Remove Ads

If you can, try as many as you can on a holster. That may be the best way to assess your needs and your comfort. For IWB, I found the Glock 26/27/33 more comfortable than the G19/23/32, but even more comfortable for me is the Kahr CM9. It is best to try as many as you can in a holster. Note that your comfort level may change depending on the holster, the size of the firearm and how long you're carrying it.
    10thmtn likes this.

Ditto on the CM9, I have the PM version and you will not find a better mix of power and ease of carry. I wear IWB appendix with a square-tailed shirt, and have recently switched to the CW45 on most occasions because it's so thin and relatively light, but the PM9 is my default when I want to maximize comfort. The next step down would be one of the .380s, but I like to keep at 9MM or above if possible (though such guns have their place)
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

Personally, I carry a Taurus TCP 738 (.380 cal) for those days I need the sub-compact. My wife recently got a Sig P238. I would think the Ruger LCP would be an excellent choice too.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1k View Post
    hi im trying to decide what to get for a everyday carry gun if i should get something like the xdm sub compact or if i should go with something like the lcp or lc9 i want something that is comfortable to carry iwb so i will carry all the time.
    Thanks in advance
    I have a Seecamp in a pocket holster, so you know how I feel.
    Carrying is a compromise, sometimes a larger gun just gets left behind.
    Smaller is better IMO.

I've been carrying a Springfield XD sub-compact .40 caliber for several months. If comfort is a critical factor in which side arm you want to carry, the XD / XDm platform is a viable option. Best bet: Try as many different kinds as you can. What works for others, will not necessarily work for you.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

The first thing I think you need to do is look at your wardrobe. Do you tend to wear fitted clothes or baggy clothes? Then decide how much you are willing to change it to accommodate CCW IWB. If you tend to wear more fitted clothes like I do a single stack pistol like the Kahr CW/PM9, Ruger LC9, etc would probably be a good route. I also find that snub nose revolvers conceal EXTREMELY well with fitted clothes. If you tend to wear baggy clothes (or you don't mind changing to wearing baggier clothes) then a double stack like a Glock 19/26, XD9 might be more up your alley. I think just about any size gun can be comfortably carried inside the waste band with a good belt and holster if your willing to make the wardrobe adjustments to accommodate it. You just have to decide how big of adjustments your willing/capable of making.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    It is all a matter of what you are willing to compromise. Comfort of carry or fashion? Caliber or capacity? Every one of us has different priorities. Put some serious thoughts in to what yours are and then you will see that the choices begin to narrow all by themselves. After that you can go through all of the trials and tribulations of choosing from that smaller list of possibles.

For me, it is almost always a full-sized pistol, but there are others that are perfectly comfortable with J-frames and LCP-sized autos. Another thing is that you may or may not make the right choice the first time out. If your initial choice isn't working for you, don't be afraid to make a change. Educated trial and error is usually what happens.

Good luck with your decision.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    hi im trying to decide what to get for a everyday carry gun if i should get something like the xdm sub compact or if i should go with something like the lcp or lc9.

I want something that is comfortable to carry iwb so i will carry all the time.

"I want something that is comfortable to carry iwb so i will carry all the time."

In that case, the gun that you want is the Walther PPS. Here is my PPS on the right, next to my S&W M&P handgun. You can see how much smaller and thinner the Walther PPS is.

It is the ultimate IWB pistol, if that is how you want to carry.

Here is a photo of it on the right next to a Springfield XD subcompact on the left. You can easily see how much thinner it is:

I am Fairly skinny about 6'3" 170 and i wear jeans that are not super tight because they are hard to find with a 30 in waist with my longer legs so they are usually a little big and i have to wear a belt anyhow i would like to have a lcp or something like that just for carry and a full size for home defense and that type of thing. the only reason i am leaning towards a sub compact is because it is a little more versatile and would kind of work for both situations, i cannot carry at work so the pistol will be in the car during the day and will wear the rest of the time. i just was trying to feel out how many people carry a sub all day instead of a smaller like the lcp. i do like the capacity of the sub as i live in the country and will use it to shoot raccoons and varmints that come onto my acreage and it would be a little more accurate. Do you guys Feel comfortable with the protection of a small pistol with the small handle and the use of smaller ammo with a lower capacity?

I am Fairly skinny about 6'3" 170 and i wear jeans that are not super tight because they are hard to find with a 30 in waist with my longer legs so they are usually a little big and i have to wear a belt anyhow i would like to have a lcp or something like that just for carry and a full size for home defense and that type of thing. the only reason i am leaning towards a sub compact is because it is a little more versatile and would kind of work for both situations, i cannot carry at work so the pistol will be in the car during the day and will wear the rest of the time. i just was trying to feel out how many people carry a sub all day instead of a smaller like the lcp. i do like the capacity of the sub as i live in the country and will use it to shoot raccoons and varmints that come onto my acreage and it would be a little more accurate. Do you guys Feel comfortable with the protection of a small pistol with the small handle and the use of smaller ammo with a lower capacity?
    As far as being comfortable with the capacity of my EDC that has to do with my perceived threat level. About 90 percent of the time I am perfectly comfortable with 5 rounds of .357 and a speed loader on my belt. I live in a low crime area that is generally fairly safe and I do not travel much to high crime areas. That being said I am going tomorrow to pick up a Gen 4 Glock 19 that will be a occasional carry for me for that 10 percent of the time where I am in a higher threat area and don't feel comfortable with 5 rounds. As another example if I lived somewhere like......Detroit or Gary, I would not be comfortable with a lower capacity gun. Something like the Glock 19 would be my EDC choice.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    The Ruger LCP is well suited for pocket carry. Is that how you want to carry??

If you plan to carry IWB, then you don't need to go smaller than a Walther PPS. In fact, going smaller then becomes a detriment.

I carry a SA XD40 SC every day, conceals well with jeans and a t-shirt.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

No I don't like the idea of pocket carry as it is hard to get things out of my pocket I think iwb is the easiest to draw and and why would it be a determent to carry a small pistol iwb?

No I don't like the idea of pocket carry as it is hard to get things out of my pocket I think iwb is the easiest to draw and and why would it be a determent to carry a small pistol iwb?
    What lance is probably refering to is that one of the reasons people go with a really small pistol is for pocket carry. The reason they do that is the smaller the pistol = the eaiser it is to carry in a pocket. The problem is that the smaller the gun the harder it is to shoot. For that reason when going to IWB most people will opt for a slighty larger gun because the dimensions of the firearm isn't quite as important (although still important) as it is for pocket carry. Kind of like there's no point in picking a sub compact pistol for a home defense gun when you know that you will never carry it. It makes sense to get the longest sight radius and highest capacity as possible. Basically, carry as much gun as you can for a given role.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links