SD round for a Ruger Alaskan 454?

This is a discussion on SD round for a Ruger Alaskan 454? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For carry I have an Ed Brown Kobra carry, and a Kimber Ultra Crimson carry, both in .45 ACP. I am confident in either one, ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By glockman10mm

Thread: SD round for a Ruger Alaskan 454?

For carry I have an Ed Brown Kobra carry, and a Kimber Ultra Crimson carry, both in .45 ACP. I am confident in either one, but still breaking in the Kimber. Love that last sight, and I want to say I am impressed.

I recently acquired a Ruger Alaskan .454 Casull/45 LC, after an exhaustive search to find a new one at a normal price. Well what I would give. I live in Idaho, and often travel to the eastern side as I have property near Yellowstone NP. World class fishing from Yellowstone down, and think this may one day come in handy as bears are plentiful. Spotted many a Grizzly there.

Aside from that I figure this may make a decent house gun for defense using 45 Colt. I notice most SD rounds for this caliber are very weak, and most do not even compare to the .45 ACP's I have. I am considering 3 loads, both Buffalo Bore. One seems too powerful, and the others seem rather weak. I have heard others say they carry with the Casull rounds, but after shooting realize they are far too much. The other end would be in some serious hurt however, and doubt that a BG would get back up very quickly!

Not too familiar with the 45LC caliber, but starting to enjoy it. I've been more of a .44 Mag type.

Keep in mind, this is coming from a 2 1/2" barrel so there would be a substantial velocity decrease.

1. Buffalo Bore
    BUFFALO-BARNES LEAD-FREE .45 Colt +P - 225 gr. Barnes XPB 1500 fps

2. Buffalo Bore
    BUFFALO-BARNES LEAD-FREE Standard Pressure Heavy 45 COLT Ammo - 225 gr. Barnes XPB 1,000 fps

3. Buffalo Bore
    Standard Pressure Heavy 45 Colt Ammo - 200gr. Jacketed Hollow Point(Gold Dot) 1100 fps
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II
    Glock 33

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

With a 45LC, you do not have to worry about designer loads and bullets. A simple flat nose 255 bullet will be more than adequate at the 900 fps loading. The size and weight of this round do not require any help.
    The Winchester Silvertip is a good alternative if you want a hollowpoint.

Boot Hill is full of people who can verify this.
    Riana, TheGiant and bcvojak like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

The answer is ANY of them are good for SD, buffalo, or Elephant! Besides, even if you miss the muzzle flash and concussion will likely kill the perp via coronary.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    The answer is ANY of them are good for SD, buffalo, or Elephant!
    That's what I was thinking.
    When you DO shoot that Brown Bear with a pistol, be sure to be wearing your brown pants.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wasn't the ole .45LC picked by the Army for knocking down horses?

I'd just experiment with the different loads to see which performed best in your pistol, and which you could control best for follow up shots.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I want one of these pistols and if I get one, I will carry it with 454 casull. Can you imagine shooting one of those in a defensive situation against a person in a waffle house? You'd blow all the windows out!

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Any of those .45LC loads would be more than sufficient, even from a short barrel. You might check around for reloading data in .45LC for the Thompson/Center contender. They are significantly more powerful than a standard .45LC. I'm sure your .454 could handle them.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

You dont need any bullets for SD use with the Alaskan. Just whack em over the head with it.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I want one of these pistols and if I get one, I will carry it with 454 casull. Can you imagine shooting one of those in a defensive situation against a person in a waffle house? You'd blow all the windows out!
    Hope you got the money to pay out for the lawsuit against you from all the newly deaf people in the waffle house
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Sponsored Links