Range Report: Kel-Tec P-11 (w/pics)

Range Report: Kel-Tec P-11 (w/pics)

This is a discussion on Range Report: Kel-Tec P-11 (w/pics) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, I purchased a New Kel-Tec P-11 last weekend at a gun show in Amarillo, TX for $249.00. Me and my Father had been ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Range Report: Kel-Tec P-11 (w/pics)

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar

Post Range Report: Kel-Tec P-11 (w/pics)

Hey everyone,

I purchased a New Kel-Tec P-11 last weekend at a gun show in Amarillo, TX for $249.00.

Me and my Father had been looking at getting some smaller concealed carry pistols that we could carry around the clock even with minimal clothing, and this being summer and we are both hot natured...right now minimal clothing is all I can stand to wear, a condition that is not favorable to me carrying my XD .45.

So, long story short I bought this P-11, he bought a P-3AT, and today I took the P-11 out to put it through its paces: here are my findings.

Cleaning and takedown: Pretty easy to do, breaks into basic parts easily. I did the precursary cleaning before heading to the range, and lubed it with some moly and CLP.

Appearance: The P-11 is ugly. There I said it, it is ugly. It is a black little hunk of rough blued steel and plastic. It looks cheap...not exactly my first choice based on looks at all. Then again, I didnt buy it for looks.

Finish: Once again, pretty rough looking. You can see machine marks in various places, but overall, it is well made. Kinda reminds me of late WWII production weapons, basic and hurried, but functional.

Trigger: I had heard some reports of a heavy and stiff trigger, and discomfort. I found none of these to be true on my pistol (not entirely) The trigger was heavy, but not harsh, and it was relatively smooth. If youre used to large frame DA revolvers, then the trigger will feel about right for you. It is heavy, but that is the only safety, so I can live with it. As for the discomfort part...well it is a little sharp to hold onto, especially with large fingers like mine...but it is not terrible.

Grip: Kinda on the blocky side, and I didnt appreciate the mildly sharp lines of checkering, but while shooting, It was suitable for all intended purposes.

Magazine: 10-round Mec-Gar, and S&W 12round Both are high quality mags. No problem here.

Ejection: Clean and high ejections. No problems.

Slide Release: Really difficult to drop, mainly due to the size of the tab, and it being flat...I found it alot easier to just pull the slide and drop it.

Magazine release: Simple enough, and easy to get to.

Sights: Three-dot basic sights dovetailed into the slide. Pretty easy to see, and much better than the P-3AT.

Now to the Shooting.
    -----------------------
    For this test, I ran 300 rounds of various 9mm ammo through the pistol. 100 WWB, 100 CCI blazer alum., and 50 CCI blazer Brass, 25 Federal Hydra-shok, 25 Golden Sabres

0 Misfires
    0 FTF
    0 FTE

No problems of any sort, despite what Ive heard and was expecting during the "break in" period, I had none of that...at all.

Accuracy: It did have a tendancy to shoot low and to the right for me, but it gouped together well for a small pistol.

Recoil: Mild to "kinda mild"...I was surprised how fast it was to recover and fire follow-up shots. Not bad at all.

OVERALL: I like this pistol. It is ugly, and slightly rough. However, it was fairly accurate, reliable, and cost-effective. Also, it comes in a round I am more comfortable with (opposed to a .380 or .32), holds 10+1 or even more, and shoots well. I would reccomend that if you are in the market for a good concealed pistol, for not alot of dough, give the P-11 a good look.

And heres some of the targets:

And another:

And one of two plates I did some alternating shooting on, left to right right to left. Group on the right is really nice.

Fear No Evil.

Assistant Administrator
    hsu - excellent and comprehensive report, thank you.

I have shot one of these and found it well acceptable, for what it is. I don't put too high a value on aesthetics with a carry piece, function and useability being priorities and so the P-11 has a definite place in the choice stakes.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thumbs up Nice range report!

Very informative..thanks for posting this.

Thanks for the great write up.

Will you be able to pocket carry this or will it be something different?

How does the size compare to the p3at?
    XD9 Service
    Bersa 380 Thunder
    Taurus 605
    ...a few others

Texas XD Practical Shooters Association

Mostly for pocket carry, but maybe as an occasional backup IWB, or in the truck between the seats.

Mostly summer though.

I also ordered the steel guide-rod, and the pocket clip for it, Ill update yall when I see how these items work on it.

It is slightly bigger than the P-3AT but not alot. I prefer the bigger gun because Ive got bigger hands. I can get all but my pinky on the grips of the P11, and only2.5 fingers on the P-3AT.
    Last edited by hsuCowboy98; July 31st, 2006 at 04:09 PM.
    Fear No Evil.

I've had my P11 for over 2 years now. I had 3 FTE's in the first 50 rounds, the next 3000+ have been flawless. I replaced the springs and the plastic guide rod at around 2000 rounds. While replacing the springs, I noticed a ridge developing on the radius where the hammer engages the slide, and smoothed it with a bit of fine emery cloth. A bit of sandpaper on the sharp grip edges will do wonders. Recently, the white dot in the front sight poped out, a little paint should fix that. The grip extensions for the 10rd mags help out a great deal, and don't change the concealability much at all. For the $200 I paid for it, I got no complaints!

Hope yours treats you as well.

I picked up a hard-chrome P3AT about 6 months ago. Better trigger than the P11 has, and worse sights, but it's about the same from a quality standpoint. I've got about 1000 rounds through it now, with 0 issues.

Ugly? Yeah, but considering the concealability and price point, nothing else is really in the same category.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Ugly? Yeah, but considering the concealability and price point, nothing else is really in the same category.
    Precisely..at least not for the money.
    Fear No Evil.

Great report...enjoyed the format. Good luck with the new Kel Tec.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Thanks for the report. I'm in the market for a pocket carry 9mm my self. I'm waiting to see how the pf-9 will compare to the p-11. If the difference in bulk between the 2 is slight I may just go with the p-11 and pick up a few extra rounds.

VIP Member
    Excellent range report....thanks!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

This is a great range report. I was thinking about getting a P-11 but I think I'm going to wait and see how the PF-9 measures up.
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

I have had one for about 3 years now and it it still one of my favorite "go anywhere, do anything" gun. It's not a shoot a lot gun but it is great for SD and BUG use.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

The valley of the sun scorched earth(Phx,Az)
    I bought the P-11 w/the parkerized finish, I also run hot, so in sunny Az I needed something that wouldn't rust if neglected too long. I have had no problems after about 1200 rnds. My GF saw it and wanted it till she pulled the trigger(she didn't like the loooooong tough DA pull).
    NRA Life Member USCCA Member

Freedoms Precious Metals:Gold, Silver and Lead

"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

Kimber Tactical Pro II w/EE over 2000 rnds NO MALFUNCTIONS

The P-11's are a good choice, especially for hot weather carry. I have the P-3AT and except for a derringer, it about the easiest BUG you can find to conceal.

I don't own a P-11, but do have a SKYY CPX-1. It's practically identical in size and look as the P-11 and is a VERY easy gun to conceal. It's also a 9mm (like the P-11), so I have more ammo options than with the P-3AT. The recoil is very manageable for such a small gun and it's easily capable of placing 10 shots in a 6" circle at 15 yards.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Thanks again for this range report (made me feel comfortable buying one). I picked one up at the gun show in Lexington yesterday (used, was a great deal). The old lady decided she wanted something more slim than a revolver to carry. That and when some jerk at one of the booths told her that she should get something smaller because she was a woman she definitely had to have it. Looking forward to shooting it with her and it should be easier for her to conceal than her revolver (no wheel).

That and switching her to the cheaper 9mm over .38spl makes me very happy. :)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links