My S&W 642 failed on me today@

This is a discussion on My S&W 642 failed on me today@ within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have also thought of revolvers to be more reliable than semis, as a general rule of thumb. I had my trusty 3 year ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: My S&W 642 failed on me today@

My S&W 642 failed on me today@

So I have also thought of revolvers to be more reliable than semis, as a general rule of thumb. I had my trusty 3 year old 642 out today and was try fire practicing when all of the sudden the trigger came back and stuck. I mean this bad boy was welded fully aft in the trigger guard. I took the side panel off and found that the firing pin had dislodged itself and was stuck in between the internal hammer and the side wall. My revolver jammed d!!!!!! I guess it is true: if it is mechanical it can and eventually will break. Kind of a bummer as I also thought of my 642 as the most reliable in the gun fleet. The ironic thing is I own a Keltec P11 and always thought of that gun as a lower quality and poissibly less-reliable peice, and IT never failed me. Any other problems with revolvers out there?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    anything made by man can fail....hech, even a brick can crack.

I've put my 642 through more than most ; it bring used during instruction.
    S&W will take care of it but i got to agree with you--bummer x2.

luck shines with us though as seemingly all failours happen during pratice.....at leats those we get to hear about.

and having more than one 'item' allows you to continue with your SD plans while one is out to be repaired.
    good luck and may this be the worst ever of your troubles.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I'd expect the Keltec to break first ha

I got a story,The gun range I shot at and that has been closed for about 3 years finally reached the point that they removed all the equipment,I was asked if I wanted to clean all the rental guns,so I said okey dokey,After cleaning a buncha Glocks etc I was handed a Rossi 4" 357,and the girl said that it had been sent in for a problem but Rossi sent it back stating they couldn't fix it and to send it somewhere else.I'm looking it over and cylinder is locking up fairly tight,DA/SA is working,checked firing pin everything looks good,so she finally asks the owner what the problem was,and he said the firing pin was broken,I'm looking at it going theres nuttin wrong with it,so he grabs a few rounds of ammo and heads into the former range that still has the backstop in place and fires off 6 rounds,Now either somebody at Rossi fixed the gun and didn't want management to know,or the Firing Pin Fairies put a new one on.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skystud1 View Post
    My revolver jammed d!!!!!! I guess it is true: if it is mechanical it can and eventually will break. Kind of a bummer as I also thought of my 642 as the most reliable in the gun fleet.
    Yes, anything can break. Thank goodness you were not having to defending yourself when this happened! I have not knowledge of this being a issue. Did you Google the issue? May be something to watch out for. Obviously S&W will take care of it - BUT, that is not something you ever want to happen. Especially with a DC firearm. Well any firearm actually.

Have a safe 4th!

No gun (or anything else for that matter) is 100 percent reliable. The aim is to get as close to 100 percent as possible.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Had you disassembled the gun in the recent past? I had the same thing happen with my Smith M&P340 sometime back. I had taken it apart to do a trigger job and the tiny pin holding the firing pin in place fell out. I did not notice it and reassembled the gun. On the fifth round the same thing happened. My gunsmith recognized the problem and replaced the pin.

Two = 1
    1 = none...
    10thmtn likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Administrator
    Its true that revolvers fail less often than semi autos. The problem is, when they do fail, they fail hard. Semi auto stoppages typically can be fixed with a tap and rack.
    357and40, Cuda66 and 10thmtn like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its true that revolvers fail less often than semi autos. The problem is, when they do fail, they fail hard. Semi auto stoppages typically can be fixed with a tap and rack.
    This certainly seems to be the case. That's why I generally carry a small light revolver and a semi-auto simultaneously. What are the odds that BOTH would fail at the same time just at the point I need one? I would say odds are pretty low.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Two = 1
    1 = none...
    You beat me to it.
    I almost always carry two guns just for this reason.
    If you're gonna carry, and it could fail you, carry two.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

well I guess 3=2, 4=3, 5=4,.....10000000000=999999999 and so on....I bet Deadguy can physically demonstrate 10000000000=999999999 go ahead, post the pic...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by skystud1 View Post
    So I have also thought of revolvers to be more reliable than semis
    I couldn't help but remember this quote;
    YouTube - ‪Boris the Blade - Weight is a sign of reliability‬‏

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It is true! The parts of a revolver are so perfectly machined, tuned, and fit together, that when a failure occurs it tends to be catastrophic in nature. Kind of makes me see why people love the Glock... simple parts and very few of them to fail.
    10thmtn likes this.

As mentioned. At least it didn't happen during a SD situation. But I'm sure that it may affect your faith in the 642. Get it fixed & put a bunch of rounds through it to restore your faith.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links