Gen 4 Glock 19 Range report and Review (Long)

This is a discussion on Gen 4 Glock 19 Range report and Review (Long) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those of you here for the range report and pictures and want to know if Rollo’s curse with automatics has struck again I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gen 4 Glock 19 Range report and Review (Long)

Gen 4 Glock 19 Range report and Review (Long)

For those of you here for the range report and pictures and want to know if Rollo’s curse with automatics has struck again I am happy to report that it has not and I am quite happy with the Gen 4 Glock 19. I took it to the range and it got quite the workout. I put 250 rounds through her first. 100 WWB, 100 dad’s FMJ reloads and 50 147g Federal HST. My dad then put 100 WWB through it. I then stepped back from the firing line during a cease fire and shouted “Anyone that has 9mm ammo want to shoot a new Gen 4 Glock 19?” 5 or 6 guys then proceeded to put a couple of mags through it of whatever they happened to have in their bags. I HIGHLY suggest this as not only a great way to make friends at the range but a REALLY great way to function test a gun with multiple types of ammo on someone else’s dime.

The gun ate everything we fed it with no issues and was a great shooter. My dad’s reloads are generally loaded on the weak side so I was quite convinced that the recoil assembly issue has been taken care of. All in all I am very happy with my purchase and highly recommend the gun. Now the obligatory pics 

That’s the jist of it. Everything after this is basically just me being bored at work.

SDC10561.JPGSDC10562.JPG

Why the Glock 19?

I have been researching a new pistol for some time. Because of my divorce I liquidated some of my guns. For my “half” I decided to keep my Remington 870, My AR-15 and the only hand gun I kept was my Ruger SP-101. This covered all my bases and gave me a good base of firepower to rebuild from when I started to rebuild my collection. I kept the 101 as my only pistol because out of everything I had (Not that I had that many to start with)it covered all the bases that I think a handgun needs to cover adequately . It is effective for CCW, home defense, survival and I think it is fun to shoot at the range. Not my first choice for a SHTF side arm but it fills the rest of the roles I required it to fill admirably.

Now that everything has been sorted out with my divorce I wanted to pick up a new pistol to fill a few roles better than the 101 does.
    This was partly spurred by a recent outbreak of shootings in a town about 10 miles away from where I live. My area is generally nice and low crime and I feel quite comfortable with my SP-101 and a extra speed loader. However my mom lives in the city with the recent outbreak of shootings and I go to see her about once a week. I also have to travel to the city every once in a while. So first and foremost I wanted my pistol purchase to fill the role of “Increased threat level CCW”. I wanted something with more firepower then my 101 for those times that I had to travel to a higher threat area. On the flip side the gun still needed to be small enough to conceal fairly well. The guys and gals around here that know me know that I generally refuse to adjust my wardrobe to facilitate the carrying of a gun. For a higher threat level this becomes a non issue for me. Safety over style any day of the week. Guns I looked at to fill this role were the G19, Sig p250, XDM 3.8 Sub compact and a few others. The G19 won out because of reputation, size and weight.

While doing my research I took quite a few trips to a LGS and handled a LOT of pistols. On one particular trip I got to talking with the salesperson that was helping me. He stated that I looked like a guy that had spent some time around guns (I think my safety checking every gun he handed me even after he had safety checked it) had something to do with this. He asked if I had ever done any tactical shooting and I replied no. It turns out that one of the local clubs around here does IDPA and Rifle/Pistol matches. I had heard of the place but didn’t know they did matches. I also generally tend to avoid private gun clubs as at least 2 of the ones in my area are frequented by a lot of klan members. He assured me this was not the case and said he would be honored to give me a tour and introduce me to the members. I took a tour and watched a match and decided it would be fun (along with good practice).

So, I needed something that would be good for rifle/pistol matches. I know that a full size gun is ideal but like I said, this purchase needed to fill multiple roles. A compact still offered a good sight radius and a full grip. While a lighter trigger can be a benefit for shooting matches I decided against going the 1911 route as this gun was going to fill a defensive role as well and I don’t like safeties on my defensive guns. Guns I looked at in this category were The G19, Sig p250, several commanders and CCO style 1911’s and the XDM 3.8 SC. Again, the G19 won out.

SHTF has a lot of different meanings to a lot of different people. First let me say that I HIGHLY (HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY) doubt that I will find myself in a SHTF scenario. That being said better safe than sorry, always be prepared, etc, etc, etc. First and foremost SHTF to me means the invasion of the United States by a foreign power or the apocalypse. Secondly it means (to me) a major natural disaster. I live in the Midwest so this pretty much means a massive tornado. While I don’t think I would need to fill this role it’s not a bad idea to be prepared. I wanted a gun to fill the role of “SHTF side arm”. Again, a full size pistol is probably ideal here but by going with a compact (remember, I only have a limited amount of guns to work with here) it allows me to fill other roles that need filling. Guns I considered here were the G17, G19, Sig229, Sig250. The G19 won out again.

Along with the other reasons this was about the time I decided that I would eventually buy another hand gun and that handgun would probably be the G17 to fill the home defense/night stand and SHTF pistol) Having magazine compatibly between a G17 and G19 would be a major bonus.
    While my 101 served night stand duty well it’s no secret that revolvers are capacity limited. Since there’s no real reason to limit capacity on a home defense gun I decided that I wanted my next pistol to fill the home defense roll. Now, a handgun is not my primary HD gun. My Remington 870 is. My HD/nightstand pistol is meant only to get me TO my 870. I’m sure you all see the pattern developing here. The G19 won out again.

So there you have it. The G19 filled all the roles nicely. Granted a full size pistol would be better for some roles but the G19 is no slouch. I’ll buy a G17 eventually but there are other guns that I want to come before it and in the interim the G19 works great for everything I need it to. So on to some general observations.

Concealment
    I was surprised by how well the G19 carried with minimal wardrobe adjustment. Honestly, with NO wardrobe adjustment. I can carry the G19 in almost all of my current clothes without a lot of concealment issue. It doesn’t conceal as well as my 101 but it does conceal well. An interesting observation about the handle – it’s actually the same length as my 101. This REALLY surprised me. Now, don’t let that fool you though. The curved organic lines on the grip of a lot of revolvers I think will still conceal better then the straight lines on the grip of an auto meaning that the grip will print less BUT the difference is not as big as I had previously thought.

Grip.JPG

For me the second major difference in concealment is the back of the slide. This is the part that tends to print a lot on me with a auto that doesn’t with a revolver. It makes the gun more visible from the front and side. This means that I can’t put as much cant on the gun or else that part tends to print more. Because that part doesn’t exist with a wheel gun I can cant (lol can cant) the gun more aggressively which helps to conceal the grip. So basically, it’s not the length of the grip of a revolver that makes it disappear on me, it’s that I can apply a more aggressive cant on the holster because of the lack of a slide that makes the grip print less and the package as a whole conceal better. That being said the G19 really doesn’t conceal that much worse. If I wanted to I could carry it as a EDC with my standard wardrobe and really not have a issue.

Slide.JPG

Caliber vs Capacity, Why the nine?
    The debate of capacity VS caliber will rage on long after I am dead. There are great arguments on both sides and I myself have flipped back and forth a few times. I went thought a period where the only thing I wanted on my hip was a .45 For higher than normal threat carry, home defense, SHTF I am a 9mm guy now. While we could argue caliber until the dead horses come home I think the majority of us would agree on two things. 1. Shot placement is king and 2. Handgun are underpowered and anything worth shooting once and is worth shooting at least 3 times. When it comes down to it I can put more rounds quickly on target while shooting 9mm then I can any other round and in a higher than normal threat situation that’s my primary concern. Also the 147g federal HST round is amazing. 16+1 rounds of it in the gun and another 15 in a spare mag is a LOT, I repeat a LOT of fire power and VERY reasonably sized package.

And thus we have arrived at the conclusion. Basically all that was to say that I REALLY like the 4th Gen Glock 19. Cut me some slack, it’s a Friday at a college that’s only running a few summer classes…I’m BORED!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

Nice review. Glad the 19 is working out for you. I find myself carrying the 19 off-duty a lot more, recently. Good luck. BTW, smart move letting other guys shoot your 19 with their ammo. I would just make sure that it was factory ammo.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I LOVE GLOCKS,big,little,small,I love them all!

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Congrats Rollo, the 19 is an excellent choice. I'm actually a little surprised that you came back to an auto, since you seemed quite convinced the SP101 was the one for you.

Interestingly, I kind of went the same direction as you, although for different reasons, and now my SP 101 has been just lying in the safe. I have a G19 which I've had for about 3 years now, and I've shot it very little (350 rounds). Honestly, I just don't know why. My current favorite carry is a Sig 250 subcompact in 9mm. There is something about the 250 series I just love.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

My crystal ball says that your G19 will soon find its way onto your hip a lot more than your SP101.

Suggestion - consider getting something you can carry as a secondary to whatever your primary is. If you have to, carry a secondary in lieu of a spare mag or speed strip/speed loader. Good candidate is the LCP.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    Congrats Rollo, the 19 is an excellent choice. I'm actually a little surprised that you came back to an auto, since you seemed quite convinced the SP101 was the one for you.
    The 101 is still my EDC. I've just been carrying the 19 recently to get a feel for it. The 19 is my higher threat level carry.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    My crystal ball says that your G19 will soon find its way onto your hip a lot more than your SP101.

Suggestion - consider getting something you can carry as a secondary to whatever your primary is. If you have to, carry a secondary in lieu of a spare mag or speed strip/speed loader. Good candidate is the LCP.
    I have to admit that I do like have 16 rounds on tap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I have to admit that I do like have 16 rounds on tap.
    Indeed. And if you have a secondary, any lingering concerns you may have about the reliability of semi autos goes away.

Of course, I'd recommend a secondary even if you keep the SP101 as your EDC. Revolvers fail too, and a "NY reload" is much faster than fiddling with reloading a revolver while under stress. 2 is 1...1 is none.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Nice review Rollo, you have found the WD-40 of the pistol world. When I was looking for my EDC I also considered all the other roles a pistol fills. Self defense, home defense, competition, plinking, SHTF, etc. I chose a 3rd gen GLOCK 19 and it has worked perfectly. Until GLOCK shrinks the 19 down to a single stack 9x19 I don't see anything else being my EDC. The GLOCK 19's reputation for reliability when using FMJ and HP ammunition tell me that this pistol is just damn near as reliable as the most reliable revolver and even more durable. Not to mention you'd have to carry 3 five shot revolvers to match or 3 six shot revolvers to beat the GLOCK's capacity.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    Good write-up. I'm also really glad to read some good news about a Gen4. I had pondered rounding up a G29 and G21 while Gen3's are still available, but I'm really not in a gun-buying mode this year.

P.S. There are a few 'Klan types' around here as well, but they're pretty much ostrasized by the community and keep to themselves.

Cool

Congrats on the new G-19.

Welcome to the dark side.

Hope you get as much pleasure out of your G-19 as I have gotten out of mine over the last 17 years.

photo.jpg

Old # 1 with her refinished slide and Big Dot sights.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Hope your does not turn out to be a jam-o-matic like the one I had.

Excellent choice, glad are digging the 19. I would have no issue at all buying a G19 Gen4. I own the Gen3 G19 and Gen4 G26, both are a dream.

Congrats on your new G19. I have Gen 3's in the 19 and 26...The more you shoot your 19, the more it will grow on you...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Good review. Congrats on your new G19!
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links