Kimber Ultra CDP II my take after 2,000 rounds… - Page 2

Kimber Ultra CDP II my take after 2,000 rounds…

This is a discussion on Kimber Ultra CDP II my take after 2,000 rounds… within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by pogo2 I also use a Kimber CDP frequently, but it is the Pro model with 4 inch barrel. I have had equally ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Kimber Ultra CDP II my take after 2,000 rounds…

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I also use a Kimber CDP frequently, but it is the Pro model with 4 inch barrel. I have had equally good experiences to yours with your 3 inch Ultra CDP. I do use a 3 inch 1911 sometimes, but it is the Colt Defender.

I modified my Pro CDP with thin grip panels and a "left side only" thumb safety to make the gun thinner and easier to conceal. I use a Kramer belt scabbard holster, which conceals fine under a full shirt worn with the tail out. The Pro model gives a slight advantage over the Ultra model in muzzle velocity and magazine capacity (8 versus 7 in the mag). But I like the greater concealability of the 3 inch guns.

Attachment 51532

Attachment 51533
    Hi Pogo, Do you did the safety (left side only) change by yourself or you work with a gunsmith for that?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBaddaBoom View Post
    You actually wait 30 days to switch your grips? Wow....I mean wow. I guess some people are stronger then others. I've been known to switch grips several times in a day....got your morning grips, your range grips, your carry grips. Then there's your Lunch grips, your taking the kids to the mall grips, your picking the kids up from the mall grips, your early evening grips. Depending on the day of the month you also have your slim grips, your fat grips, your black grips, the brown grips, the plastic grips, wood grips. Can't forget the evening wear grips for dinner with the wife. Of course this is just a few examples....I'm not as fanatical as some I've seen.

It took awhile, but I finally have the kids trained to buy me grips instead of ties for Father's day. Oh and birthdays. Can't forget Xmas....
    LOL Oh Man! I knew I was dropping the ball on that!!!.... I still have a lot to learn... and my kid is 1 year old so I still have time to train him! It's never to late! I'm starting now ... I need to get some slim grips hah

VIP Member
    When I install Kimber laser grips on customer's CDP's I bob the ambi thumb safety to clear the CT laser bump. It's unobtrusive but still usable. After I tape up the frame with blue painter's tape, I use a cutoff wheel on the dremel, a small dremel stone to round off the edges, and emery to polish. I supply a couple of Pro Tac mags with every gun, because I don't care for the stock mags. Make sure all your alloy frame mag followers end in a bull nose to avoid a cosmetic ding in the alloy under the feed ramp. The 4" slide requires spring replacement at 800 rds, but the 3" is at 1200rds. The 3" doesn't require the take down tool once it loosens up a bit. I chrono 185gr copper Barnes Cor Bon DPX out of the 3" at 450 ft/lbs.

Nice review, and it mirrors my experience with a 4-inch CDP Pro II. The OEM mag was handled with "percussive maintenance" prior to being scrapped as a gesture of kindness to the world, and Wilson 47Ds now feed the gun. I'm close to 2000 rounds now so I guess it's time to order some recoil springs.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    When I install Kimber laser grips on customer's CDP's I bob the ambi thumb safety to clear the CT laser bump. It's unobtrusive but still usable. After I tape up the frame with blue painter's tape, I use a cutoff wheel on the dremel, a small dremel stone to round off the edges, and emery to polish. I supply a couple of Pro Tac mags with every gun, because I don't care for the stock mags. Make sure all your alloy frame mag followers end in a bull nose to avoid a cosmetic ding in the alloy under the feed ramp. The 4" slide requires spring replacement at 800 rds, but the 3" is at 1200rds. The 3" doesn't require the take down tool once it loosens up a bit. I chrono 185gr copper Barnes Cor Bon DPX out of the 3" at 450 ft/lbs.
    Thanks for the clarification on that ... I was clearly confusing the recoil spring replacement round count of the Pro(4inch) version with the Ultra one (3inch)... So now I know I can just keep shooting more

GM
    Thank you for sharing. Very nice Kimber you have there!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

That looks like a beauty.. I would love to try out a short barreled kimber.

I would love to have a Kimber. Thanks for the review especially the mag tip. It is sad that when you spend so much for these firearms that the manufacturer does not provide solid magazines. Glad you solved the issue.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Very nice review. It's amazing how accurate they are for three inch barrels. I have a Stainless II and I shoot the Ultra Carry II I had(traded for HK45c) more accurately under 15 yards.

Kimber Ultra CDP II

Thanks for your post.

I too am in the market for the Kimber Ultra CDP II. Your post helps with my decision.

R/Chris

Good review. Why would Kimber make a good gun then supply the gun with a crappy magazine? Can't even take them apart to clean them. As far as grips: Esmeralda will probably retire with the business she has received from me...
    Attached Images
    swiftyjuan likes this.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    Good review. Why would Kimber make a good gun then supply the gun with a crappy magazine? Can't even take them apart to clean them. As far as grips: Esmeralda will probably retire with the business she has received from me...
    Nice grips man... Now I need to check those Esmeralda grips out... googl'ing that now Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by kal0 View Post
    Hi Pogo, Do you did the safety (left side only) change by yourself or you work with a gunsmith for that?

Thanks!
    I replaced the thumb safety myself - it was pretty easy. I bought the single sided Ed Brown thumb safety on Ebay and removed the old one by hand - it is in two parts that slide together in the center of the gun, with half the safety fitting into the gun from either side. The single side safety is actually more stable, as it does not have that joint in the middle. I am right handed and could see no pressing need for an ambi safety that made the gun wider.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I replaced the thumb safety myself - it was pretty easy. I bought the single sided Ed Brown thumb safety on Ebay and removed the old one by hand - it is in two parts that slide together in the center of the gun, with half the safety fitting into the gun from either side. The single side safety is actually more stable, as it does not have that joint in the middle. I am right handed and could see no pressing need for an ambi safety that made the gun wider.
    Thanks for the info ... I got mine.. I will try it this weekend :)

Good review. After jonesing for the same gun for a year, I found a used but mint one for $800 and, pounced on it! It has a great trigger, better than my Springer Loaded for sure and, seems to shoot as accurate [due to trigger?]. A real joy to carry. What I can not believe is that my wife has not stolen it from me. Guess she likes the 642 that much!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links