Kimber Ultra CDP II my take after 2,000 rounds…

Kimber Ultra CDP II my take after 2,000 rounds…

This is a discussion on Kimber Ultra CDP II my take after 2,000 rounds… within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I been carrying the Kimber Ultra CDP II for 5 months now. (Before that I used to carry a PX4 Compact 9mm DA/SA) Well, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Kimber Ultra CDP II my take after 2,000 rounds…

Post Kimber Ultra CDP II my take after 2,000 rounds…

I been carrying the Kimber Ultra CDP II for 5 months now. (Before that I used to carry a PX4 Compact 9mm DA/SA)
    Well, I finally broke the whole 2000 rounds count on the CDP II, so now I feel pretty confident talking about it.

Specs:
    Kimber Ultra CDP II
    • Caliber: 45 ACP
    • Weight: 25ounces (empty)
    • Ambidextrous thumb safety (one thing I will like to change in the future)
    • Carry Melt finish (basically all edges are rounded)
    • Magazine Capacity: 7+1
    • Trijicon sights

Holsters I'm using:
    1) Crossbreed Supertuck IWB (great holster)
    2) The Kimber Leather IWB (one way belt loop) Two Tone Holster. (really quick to get on and off, been using this one a lot)

This is just my second 1911 type of gun, so I'm NO expert on this platform, but here it go…

General Stuff:
    First the gun feels great, the checkering in the front strap and under the trigger guard helps a lot on having a great grip, even when I'm shooting one handed or weak handed.

In terms of the weight, even that is 25 ounces empty (not that light), when I put it on my holster the gun just disappears and I'm talking t-shirts and shorts (with a good belt) on summer (Texas summer)… I don't even think about it all day. The whole round corners (carry melt) helps a lot on making it a very comfortable gun to carry.

One thing I must say, that after carrying it for 5 months, you might notice some very small scratches and things like that on the finish of the gun (things that I really don't care) but some people might be sensitive about that.

Break-in period (not really just buy good mags):
    I had 2 Failure To Feed on my first 200 rounds. After reading on the forums, I found out that #1 cause of failures on this platform is crappy Magazines! (I don't know why Kimber don't provide the Tac Mags by default, but that's another topic) I went ahead and change the magazine to Kimber Pro Tac Mags and Wilson Combat ones, after that, it worked like a champ. No more failures.

How it shoots?
    AWESOME! this little gun (3-inch barrel) shoots great! Kimber advertise that the trigger pull is around 4-5 pounds and that's how it feels. You definitely need a firm grip but I was right on target in 15, 10 and 7 yards… This is the most accurate (3 inch barrel) gun that I can shoot (I imagine the light trigger and the weight are big factors on that).

When I hit the 1000 rounds I changed the recoil spring like mentioned in the User Manual (the manual says to change it every 800 rounds). I have a feeling that it was not necessary (it was shooting fine) but I did it anyway, so be aware of that WARNING on the User Manual.
    Update: The actual round count to change recoil spring for ultra is 1200 rounds .. I was confusing it with the Pro models (4inch barrel) that is 800... so my spring change was not necessary at all, but that went smooth!

I also tested 30 rounds of Gold Dot thru this gun and worked fine, that's my current carry ammo.

Other than that, I definitely recommend this gun to anyone that is looking for a 45ACP, single stack type of pistol.
    The only changes I will make in the future will be to change the ambi-safety to single right handed only… and it's a 1911, so you need to keep changing the grips every other month.

Thanks,
    kal0

Last edited by kal0; July 2nd, 2011 at 01:24 PM.

I'm in the market for a kimber. Thanks for the review.

Thanks for the review.

I bought this very pistol this week. I will pick it up the 9th. This is my first 3 inch 1911. I am in process for my CCW here Ca. Finally!
    My county has just elected a Constitution loving sheriff.
    I also bought a Rugar LC 9mm for pocket carry. I am putting a Crimson Trace on that one.

I appreciate your detailed observations. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by kal0 View Post
    I been carrying the Kimber Ultra CDP II for 5 months now. (Before that I used to carry a PX4 Compact 9mm DA/SA)
    Well, I finally broke the whole 2000 rounds count on the CDP II, so now I feel pretty confident talking about it.

Specs:
    Kimber Ultra CDP II
    • Caliber: 45 ACP
    • Weight: 25ounces (empty)
    • Ambidextrous thumb safety (one thing I will like to change in the future)
    • Carry Melt finish (basically all edges are rounded)
    • Magazine Capacity: 7+1
    • Trijicon sights

Holsters I'm using:
    1) Crossbreed Supertuck IWB (great holster)
    2) The Kimber Leather IWB (one way belt loop) Two Tone Holster. (really quick to get on and off, been using this one a lot)

This is just my second 1911 type of gun, so I'm NO expert on this platform, but here it go…

General Stuff:
    First the gun feels great, the checkering in the front strap and under the trigger guard helps a lot on having a great grip, even when I'm shooting one handed or weak handed.

In terms of the weight, even that is 25 ounces empty (not that light), when I put it on my holster the gun just disappears and I'm talking t-shirts and shorts (with a good belt) on summer (Texas summer)… I don't even think about it all day. The whole round corners (carry melt) helps a lot on making it a very comfortable gun to carry.

One thing I must say, that after carrying it for 5 months, you might notice some very small scratches and things like that on the finish of the gun (things that I really don't care) but some people might be sensitive about that.

Break-in period (not really just buy good mags):
    I had 2 Failure To Feed on my first 200 rounds. After reading on the forums, I found out that #1 cause of failures on this platform is crappy Magazines! (I don't know why Kimber don't provide the Tac Mags by default, but that's another topic) I went ahead and change the magazine to Kimber Pro Tac Mags and Wilson Combat ones, after that, it worked like a champ. No more failures.

How it shoots?
    AWESOME! this little gun (3-inch barrel) shoots great! Kimber advertise that the trigger pull is around 4-5 pounds and that's how it feels. You definitely need a firm grip but I was right on target in 15, 10 and 7 yards… This is the most accurate (3 inch barrel) gun that I can shoot (I imagine the light trigger and the weight are big factors on that).

When I hit the 1000 rounds I changed the recoil spring like mentioned in the User Manual (the manual says to change it every 800 rounds). I have a feeling that it was not necessary (it was shooting fine) but I did it anyway, so be aware of that WARNING on the User Manual.

I also tested 30 rounds of Gold Dot thru this gun and worked fine, that's my current carry ammo.

Other than that, I definitely recommend this gun to anyone that is looking for a 45ACP, single stack type of pistol.
    The only changes I will make in the future will be to change the ambi-safety to single right handed only… and it's a 1911, so you need to keep changing the grips every other month.

Thanks,
    kal0

“An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.”
    Jeff Cooper

I've got about 1500+ rounds through my Ultra Raptor II and have yet to replace the recoil spring....I think the 800 stated in the manual is a little conservative. No FTF or FTE, even with JHPs. Absolutely the the gun, and I use the Kimber/Galco IWB holster, very comfortable. tested both full size and 4" Kimbers, no improvement in accuracy for me, so the 3" is the way to go for CC (although many folks diss 3" barrel 1911s on reliability).
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

Oh, and +1 on Wilson combat mags, Kimber and McCormick work well but the stainless follower can score the inside of the aluminum mag well.
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

Thanks for the review!

I'm going back and forth between the Custom TLE II and a Springfield Loaded with Kimber being Kimber, and SA offering a lifetime warranty on an awesome product.

Great review! I would love to have that same model but in a 4 inch, I think its called the Compact?
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Good review, waiting until after 2,000 rounds to comment is commendable.
    I agree with the supplied magazine being no good.
    I bought my Ultra last year and it would FTF last round with supplied magazine; however, Tripp magazines fed same ammo fine.
    I think the CDP's are good looking pistols; my Ultra is not a CDP.
    However, I do have a Compact CDP; in reply to question above, the Compact has 4'' barrel.
    Your Ultra is still looking good after 2,000 rounds!
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Kimber Pro CDP

I also use a Kimber CDP frequently, but it is the Pro model with 4 inch barrel. I have had equally good experiences to yours with your 3 inch Ultra CDP. I do use a 3 inch 1911 sometimes, but it is the Colt Defender.

I modified my Pro CDP with thin grip panels and a "left side only" thumb safety to make the gun thinner and easier to conceal. I use a Kramer belt scabbard holster, which conceals fine under a full shirt worn with the tail out. The Pro model gives a slight advantage over the Ultra model in muzzle velocity and magazine capacity (8 versus 7 in the mag). But I like the greater concealability of the 3 inch guns.

KimberProCDP64.jpg

KimberProCDP63.jpg
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

The 4" barrel is called the pro carry. Good review. Kimber makes a great weapon.

You actually wait 30 days to switch your grips? Wow....I mean wow. I guess some people are stronger then others. I've been known to switch grips several times in a day....got your morning grips, your range grips, your carry grips. Then there's your Lunch grips, your taking the kids to the mall grips, your picking the kids up from the mall grips, your early evening grips. Depending on the day of the month you also have your slim grips, your fat grips, your black grips, the brown grips, the plastic grips, wood grips. Can't forget the evening wear grips for dinner with the wife. Of course this is just a few examples....I'm not as fanatical as some I've seen.

It took awhile, but I finally have the kids trained to buy me grips instead of ties for Father's day. Oh and birthdays. Can't forget Xmas....
    swiftyjuan likes this.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    "If you wish for peace, prepare for war"

Great review and spot on. When I bought my Ultra CDP II I had several failure to feeds and the solution was Wilson combat mags. Once the Kimber mags were switched out I never had a failure after that. Great gun and fun to shoot.

Thanks for the great review.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Cool Kimber .45

Very nice pistol, and a good review. You would think with all the Kimber precision, they would use a higher quality mag, and maybe a longer-life recoil spring set up. But, that would most likely increase the price a tad. Still ...... it's hard to beat Kimber when selecting a 3 inch .45
    I like the new Super Carry Ultra .45, with the bobtail design. Or, as of late, I've looked into the Kimber Solo. Both look like great CCW's .....

Quote Originally Posted by cmycek View Post
    I've got about 1500+ rounds through my Ultra Raptor II and have yet to replace the recoil spring....I think the 800 stated in the manual is a little conservative. No FTF or FTE, even with JHPs. Absolutely the the gun, and I use the Kimber/Galco IWB holster, very comfortable. tested both full size and 4" Kimbers, no improvement in accuracy for me, so the 3" is the way to go for CC (although many folks diss 3" barrel 1911s on reliability).
    Quote Originally Posted by cmycek View Post
    Oh, and +1 on Wilson combat mags, Kimber and McCormick work well but the stainless follower can score the inside of the aluminum mag well.
    Thanks for the tip on the mags! I think I read about this before... and I have the same experience here... in terms of the accuracy of the 3inch ... I have no probs at all with it.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    Good review, waiting until after 2,000 rounds to comment is commendable.
    I agree with the supplied magazine being no good.
    Your Ultra is still looking good after 2,000 rounds!
    Yeah I don't know why they don't throw a good magazine with the whole package
    I always find myself cleaning my carry gun every time I get a chance, I think that what's been keeping this one in a very good shape... I'm just addicted to cleaning guns... no no lets call it a hobbie...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links