Took Wife to Range...now I have caliber questions. - Page 2

Took Wife to Range...now I have caliber questions.

This is a discussion on Took Wife to Range...now I have caliber questions. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Exm-- It's been an interesting journey. When we started dating six years ago, she and her whole family were rabid anti's...except her grandfather who claims ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Took Wife to Range...now I have caliber questions.

Exm-- It's been an interesting journey. When we started dating six years ago, she and her whole family were rabid anti's...except her grandfather who claims his right to be the godfather. Heck, he even gripes about me owning weapons. Not for cause, but just because. Oh...he has his CHL. Hmmmm...double standard? He even gripes about a son-in-law of 25 years who is an avid hunter. So...in one ear...and straight to file 13.

Her reasoning for hating weps is a little better than most. The only one she had seen was a loaded shotgun aimed at her and held by her ex-husband. Yeah...that'll make you either very afraid or very angry.

I got her started by giving her the same schtick I gave my mom when I moved back home for a time. "It's gonna be here. It's gonna be loaded. You need to know how to unload it and how not to make it go bang." Afterward, I borrowed a buddy's .22LR pistol and got her going on that. It didn't look anything like that shottie she had faced down. Anyway, she found that she enjoyed it...and she was good at it. Then...she tried the revolver (2" .38Spl) and my Makarov. She liked the snub, but the Mak bit her.

Move forward a few months... The local police chief was caught doing ill when he refused a drug task force commander's request to arrest one of the chief's associates. He got hinky and got fired...then went on a mini-rampage about the elem. school and his home. We were here at the time...and as I have a policy of proactively making nice with LEOs, he had been a guest in our home. Well, I strapped on the Mak and she was scared enough to strap on the snubbie. That was the day she learned a few lessons about handgun combat. She's never been opposed to anything weapons related since (well...she still doesn't like shotguns. I can't say that I blame her.)

If she feels comfy with the 9x19, we'll try to go that way. I have handled the Kahr CW9 (had an attractive price, too!) and the PM40(ouch!)...but not the K9. The Kahrs that I know of seem to run pretty good...though the PM40 took a trip back to the factory to get that way. The back up position is the Bersa .380...or maybe it should be the first position? Get her used to it then trade up? I guess my reasoning for pushing the 9x19 is 1)a little more powerful cartridge (if the Hi-Power is good enough for the SAS...), 2) a little better ammo availability than .380, and 3) a little better pricing on ammo...and 4) more platforms from which to choose.

Chris...it should be an interesting day, indeed!

I guess the biggest thing I have learned in all this is that overcoming fear takes a long time and requires a desire to do so on the part of the frightened party. The only position to be pushed is safety. Everything else she's come to on her own time.

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

Hmmmm....

My wife hates my GLOCK 19 (9mm) but loves her Sig P239 in .357... Goes to show you that recoil is truely "Perceived".

Does she need "Carry" size or just a comfortable gun...

The SIG 239 is nice size for females as is the GLOCK 19/23 (9mm)/(.40), The single stack GLOCK .45 you were refering to is the GLOCK 36. Kahr makes some nice small concealable guns but I've noticed they may not be as comfortable...

BTW, I'm impressed that she handles the .38 well... Even most shooters I know don't usually like to shoot it more then they have too...
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

Having just picked up my two new babies, CZ SP-01 and the RAMI in polymer I am naturally a leeeeeetle bit prejudiced.....8-)

Having said that the RAMI in 9mm is probably a good choice. If possible see if you can try both the steel and the polymer framed version. I personally feel the polymer frame version has a little better recoil absorption for a smaller framed hand but its a suck it and see thing.

Other thing is to try with both the 10 round and 14 round mag, the 14 drops sufficiently down that you get a full hand grip as opposed to possible pinkie flutter with the 10 round.

See attached shot of the RAMI with the longer mag to gauge.
    small.JPG
    As one of my old sergeants used to say. "WE do not play at spray and play.......Do we.... Sir....."

Remember children, when we have removed the pin from Mr Grenade, Mr Grenade is no longer our friend......

Does she need a carry sized wep? No. But...she thinks they are cute and has designs on getting her carry permit. I suggested something with a full grip and 4" bbl., but since I am the husband, she must try to have her own head. The range trip will tell the end of that tale.

She met me at the toy store this morning where she handled the Bersa Thunder .380, again, the CZ-83, the Kahr CW9 and a Walther P1. She like the CW9 best of those, but still likes the SW99c. Hopefully the range will have an SW99 or P99 she can try.

If she holds out for the SW99c after shooting some 9x19's, I may try to find a 9mm plinker for now and let the SW99 be for Christmas. Hmm...do I want a CZ75SA, a Hi-Power or an XD9? That's an easier question to answer: ALL OF THE ABOVE. Heck, I may get the CW9 for me...who knows.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    LOL ... but if i may suggest a thing to you both ... Have a trusted shooter ( NOT you ) give her a refresher course on grip and presentation of the weapon . Some times our women dont listen to us well , and we dont listen to them either ..
    Great advice! My wife wouldn't listen to me either, and I'm an ex cop who has been shooting all of my life, but she considers the kid at the range (OK that's unfair, he's at least 21) to be an expert. Regardless, she's got her permit and her gun and she is a great shot and a great back-up.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

'Tbone, I have shot both the XD9 and XD40 and have to say the 9 has less recoil by far. my wife is only 5'1" and 102lbs and has shot both as well. She likes the 9 over the 40 when it comes to recoil. I would definitely recomend the XD9 over the XD40, as well as try the other choices suggested.
    PS-wife just read this and said to up that weight since she just ate a HUGE brownie with ice cream.
    .....women....

Ummm...21 y.o.'s are kids... Okay...so I'm only 34, but my mother swears that I was 35 when I was born!

Shaggy...tnx for the input from your lady. I'm sure the 9mm will be the ticket...

Everytime I think I understand them (the fairer gender)...they change the rules and insist that only they have that right. Fellas, I say we change the rules and get pouty when they don't like it! IT'S A REVOLUTION!!!!!!!!

Michael

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2
    Kimber has come out with a new 9mm 1911 designed for carry, called the Aegis. It has aluminum frame and weighs 25 ounces, has an 8 round magazine, night sights and a "carry bevel" dehorning treatment. I think it is expensive, but I'll bet it would suit your wife perfectly if she likes a 1911 grip and 9mm caliber:
    Hey, that's the first time I have heard or seen that one. Looks nice.

If she likes the XD grip, let her try an XD 9 Service. Not much bigger than the SC.
    XD9 Service
    Bersa 380 Thunder
    Taurus 605
    ...a few others

Texas XD Practical Shooters Association

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Only thing I don't care for with my Bersa .380 is the safety and the mag disconnect. It's also a lot thicker than any of the Kahrs which makes it harder for me to conceal it. Having said that, the recoil is almost non-existent and it's extremely accurate.

For CCW, I still like the Kahrs for how thin they are and the fact that there's no mag disconnect or safety. The K9s are rock solid; maybe even a bit heavy.

I actually like the P9 for weight reasons. It is a bit more snappy due to light weight but I think it has to be just about the best all round CCW for someone who wants a smaller, lighter, thinner package.

God Bless
    Gideon

PS and I know what you mean about the price. My P9 has the blackened slide and night sights and it was the greater part of $700

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I haven't looked lately at the prices, but a Sig 239 in 9mm or Kahr K9 would probably fit the bill for her nicely. The XD in 9mm would be good as well (and much lower in price), except I've never had first hand experience with it. If Sig still makes their polymer framed guns, that would be quite the deal as well.

Back in the early 70's my lovely bride fell in love with my Browning 9mm High Power. Nothing much has changed in the past 35 years.

Oh...if only my wife would want a Hi-Power!!!! That would be dreamy!

Michael

VIP Member
    Michael, I was thinking toward the lighter end of the spectrum with the Bersa UC9 and the CZ RAMI, but I agree with AutoFan about the SIG P239 in 9mm. My wife will fire 1 mag through myP239 in 357SIG, but if I am firing my 9mm version she will shot it as long as I let her. She likes the Hogue grips that I have on each. We enter the SIG give away each month and usually she will say that if she wins she will swap it for my P239 9mm. I tried to let her have it when I got the 357SIG, but she knows me too well. She knew I was just being nice and wanted to keep it.

It is a little heavier than the UC9 or the RAMI, but it is an outstanding piece of hardware. So far with over 500 rounds on the 9mm (it was used and I don't know how many rounds were fired before I got it) no malfunctions at all. I am up over 400 on the 357SIG (it was also used, but it appeared to have fired less than 20 rounds.) with no malfunctions.

If you get to look at the P239 it is a great pistol, but the Hogues make it even better.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Thx, Doc, et al. I hope she stays away from anything more expensive than the SW99c... I have been quoted less than $525 for the SW...I'm thinking the SIG's are much more.... I gotta save enough to get my own single action 9mm! But, whatever she settles on, I'll have my guy check the price.

The CZ RAMI might be a real contender if she can fondle one. I have seen one and like the feel of it. After doing some reading, I think we'll steer clear of the Taurus line for now...though, what a great value price point! Of course, the CZ RAMI I saw had a nice price, too.

Michael

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links