P3AT Woes!

P3AT Woes!

This is a discussion on P3AT Woes! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So today I was at an outdoor range zinging milk jugs with my cousin and decided to put some rounds through my P3AT, and the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: P3AT Woes!

P3AT Woes!

So today I was at an outdoor range zinging milk jugs with my cousin and decided to put some rounds through my P3AT, and the little gun quit on me. I pulled the trigger all the way back, watched the hammer creep back...and nothing. I had the trigger all the way back against the frame but the hammer wouldn't drop. I'd just cleaned the thing after the last range trip a week ago and have been carrying my 9mm, so it wasn't a pocket lint or unlubed/dirty gun issue. It just didn't fire. I took it apart and didn't see anything amiss, so I'm kind of at a loss. I Googled the problem and someone said something about heating the frame and pinching it to help brace a spring, but this seems like something that the end user shouldn't have to do (or maybe I'm just not confident enough to mess with it myself.) Looks like I'll be sending the little gun to Florida for repair, which I had been thinking of doing anyway due to it's propensity to jam, even with ball. I am disappointed. It's such a handy little tool that I hate to admit that I may not be able to bring myself to carry it. I guess I'll have to wait and see what the good people at KelTec have to say about it. I've heard guys say that they sent theirs in and essentially got a new gun back in the mail, but I think when mine comes back I'm going to sell it and buy a j-frame.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about you KT.

Great idea going for jframe. It will serve you well.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Administrator
    I'm sure KT will take care of it. And I can't argue with your Jframe idea.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    K-T's are best when you have additional guns cause they sometimes ( ok, just about always at some point in time)
    have to go back for service. i have been buying them since they 1st hit the market and they know me in Coco. i ask for a part, and short of a frame, they mail it to me.
    this helps you not.... but their turn around time is fast and they will fix it and often ship an extra mag for your troubles. j-frame is one of the others you are going to need
    sooner or later--so now it is sooner

have you tried taking it back apart and there are some small parts and springs that needs special attention....just saying
    good luck
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Sorry, I understand the dissappointment....but that is the nature of very small guns, especially Kel-tec...Kahrs are a bit better, the poly models last typically 3-5000 rounds and then they really start wearing down....the all-metal models last significantly longer....but I wouldn't carry anything " that has a propensity to jam"...whatever you carry should be 100% reliable ....good luck....j-frames are extremely reliable, but not very fun to shoot and also don't help to motivate you to get out there and practice, practice, practice....:)

ahhh Kel Tec woes. Been there done that and never again
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I have two of them and had to send one of them back 3 times for that same problem.They finally fixed it the last time and now they both have been very reliable. Had to call them and complain and insisted that they put my slide on a new frame and they did,but i never got a free mag or anything for my troubles. their customer service is very good,you call and ask for a part and they will send it to you pronto,free. Be sure to call them first and tell them to give you a UPS return request so you won't have to pay to send it back.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Sorry to hear about your KT, the company will make it 'whole' again.
    I've had my P-3AT (1st Gen) for 8-9 years without ever a problem...I'm just sayin'...
    rhinokrk and PPKman like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I am not saying that KT makes bad products, retsupt99 for example has had a really good one and I understand their rifles are pretty decent.

I am just saying that I would not trust my life to a KT pistol.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

RKM
    Sucks to hear. My P3AT jammed up a few times on break in but has been great ever since. Never had a failure to drop the hammer.

Kel-Tec, (from what I hear) has great customer service. They should be able to make it right.

I have owed a number of Kel Tecs and never had any problems with any of them.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Administrator
    Every time I look at mine it amazes me that it even holds up as well as it does.

Mine did not feed worth a damn until I super fluffed & buffed it. It was a true worthless "dog"....out of the box.
    It's been OK ever since but, I honestly don't shoot it much anymore.

GM
    Sorry to hear about that! I am sure that if you contact them they will help you; Kel-Tec is known for having a very good CS.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I had the exact same thing happen with my 2nd generation P3AT. I called Kel-Tec customer service and they said it was probably a hammer spring and offered to send one right out. I opted to send it to them, because I had some jamming issues. They had the gun less than 2 weeks, and the gun has been great since I got it back. I have put around 150 rounds through it and it has been flawless so far.

Your P3at is obviously made for conceal carry....I don't mean to come off the way this is going to sound (but really) customer service is not going to save your life or the life of a loved one....I don't care how good their customer service is....the gun is what you are staking lives on....please everyone consider that.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links